How yall black dudes survive at these mostly white colleges?

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
idk bra some things really hard to learn on your own, plus that degree will come in handy also, im in computer science and coding isnt the easiest things to get, shyt learning linux isnt the easiest thing, but ima junior so i dont have long and so far i dont have majors loans, i loans i own range from 1-3 stacks, thats nothin to pay back

fukk a degree..you don't need a degree to land a career..I like history..so say I apply for a museum curator...I'm not gonna send a resume..I'm just gonna walk in there and spit my knowledge..they'll be like..oh shyt..he knows more than that guy with a degree and he's self taught,,meaning he's willing to learn for himself in the workplace..a degree is just a piece of paper..a real degree is a piece of ya mind..

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
yea i thought it would be cool tho, not like im having a problem really its just uncomfortable, thats all, ima be good, cause ima smart dude and the work is a non issue

Gotta be well rounded bruh. Learn how to socialize and work with all kinds of cultures, esp as a minority. Chances are, esp in your field, you will be the only one of your kind in your office (maybe 2 tops), so you gotta know how to deal with other folks. Funny shyt is, you prob got a little more in common with them than you think. You'll be surprised. Even if it's simple shyt like sports and videogames, that shyt goes a LONG way to being icebreakers and shyt.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
fukk a degree..you don't need a degree to land a career..I like history..so say I apply for a museum curator...I'm not gonna send a resume..I'm just gonna walk in there and spit my knowledge..they'll be like..oh shyt..he knows more than that guy with a degree and he's self taught,,meaning he's willing to learn for himself in the workplace..a degree is just a piece of paper..a real degree is a piece of ya mind..

obvi, but many jobs one of the qualifications is education ala a degree, diploma, trade certificate etc. without it , it does not matter how smart you are . Don';t believe me look at immigrants, many are smarter than me and you, many have education from their prior homeland however because it's viewed as not being applicable here it's like having nothing.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Dont try and fit in... do your own thing... be like a ferris bueller ass nicca... thats what I did... and college was the best time of my life... and i went to a 90% white uni in canada... had a great time... but it might be different for me because 1. i grew up around white kids 2. i fukk with white chicks (not exclusively no c00no)

but you cant try and fit in... you have to understand that every single cac is gonna perceive you as being that black guy and the second u try and ingratiate yourself to them u drop down a peg... i guarantee you if you just roll like a lone wolf and keep to your own that white chicks will approach you in class... this is what happened to me... and then once they saw my crew was all legit dudes... i was money... got laid more in junior n senior year of college than all the rest of my life combined.
oh trust me im not trying to fit in, i wouldnt be able to fit in if i wanted to tho, ima friendly dude tho so people just seem to walk up to me and talk and im not afraid to approach people, white girls be talkin to me alot, i think the black chicks be scared to talk to me

but yea i been on my lone shyt just sittin back watching everything my nikka, its cool, just different, but i know if i had 1 of my potnas in here shyt would be 90% better, but its just me venting a lil bit, ima stick wit it

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
The first semester can really suck breh

My first semester at Texas sucked. Cacs everywhere...never been around so many white people in my life and I didn't share a lot of their interest in a lot of things. It took some time to make the transition of being the only black male in most of my classes. My second semester got better though and it was cool for the most part.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I went to a PWI and an HBCU (school I'm at right now). I'd say I prefer the atmosphere of the HBCU becasue you have you have a bunch of people not only look like you but have the same goals. IAlso the bytches :whew: :noah: god damn there are too man bad bytches here.

The people who work here can kiss my ass though:pacspit: Lazy MFers who dont want to do their job:smh:

I had fun in the PWI but I went to a small private school and I already knew people there thru some scholarship program I did.

The only advice I guess is atleast put yourself out there. Maybe try hooping at the basketball court. or something. White people are people too and not all of em are on that :mjpls:

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Damn breh...not trying to be a downer...but it sounds rough as fukk for you out here.

Unless you're open to branching out from "traditional" black/hood culture...you're gonna have a rough time fitting in. (That goes for the whites, as well as many of the blacks). In my experience, a lot of blacks enjoy being able to break away from their socially prescribed attitudes/beliefs in college.

All this social stuff is unimportant of course. You've got the right idea of just keeping your head down and up with your studies...but if you DO want a better social life...at least be more open to the middle class blacks.
im open my last girlfriend was a non hood chick chick, she was no white wash chick tho, she was a cool middle class chick from atl, and she introduced me to alot of things i never did before

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
obvi, but many jobs one of the qualifications is education ala a degree, diploma, trade certificate etc. without it , it does not matter how smart you are . Don';t believe me look at immigrants, many are smarter than me and you, many have education from their prior homeland however because it's viewed as not being applicable here it's like having nothing.

:lolbron: I just said that sound cool like I had wisdom..I never tried it..I work in a warehouse:russ:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
:lolbron: I just said that sound cool like I had wisdom..I never tried it..I work in a warehouse:russ:

lol i do agree with you that education is a sham for the most part but nothing you can do about it as thats what most workplaces dictate to get you in the door. Example go to many companies etc. and many folks who were there 20-30 years didn't even have education, but back in those days you needed a job your friend just hooked you up and you were in.

Times are different now.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Gotta be well rounded bruh. Learn how to socialize and work with all kinds of cultures, esp as a minority. Chances are, esp in your field, you will be the only one of your kind in your office (maybe 2 tops), so you gotta know how to deal with other folks. Funny shyt is, you prob got a little more in common with them than you think. You'll be surprised. Even if it's simple shyt like sports and videogames, that shyt goes a LONG way to being icebreakers and shyt.
yea they have a few white dudes i talked to in a couple classes, mostly bout work, but some about random stuff

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I've routinely been the only black guy in my classes since I was a junior in HS. That has continued throughout college. :beli: You get used to it. Branch out and make an attempt to meet people. You'll also run into few other guys that are in the same situation you're in. It's what you make out of it.