How Xbox Became Microsoft's Greatest Failure

Daps
The Xbox 360 had the RROD and is part of them never turning a profit in gaming as they spent so much money having rushed a product to market only to have it compromised and have to have all those expensive repairs. It's easily the most infamous unreliable product ever made. There's that and then Kinect. That was their biggest success but even then it was a wash.
Truth.

360 dominated early but PS3 ended up catching and passing them by the end of the generation. That momentum allowed PS4 to own the next generation.

Microsoft knows they're not ever gonna win the hardware wars so GamePass is their way in.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
When it comes to consistently providing content for a subscription based service that's trying to get it's hooks in customers that's not going to be enough. If they were only focused on the traditional business model only it would be.

Even beyond that Microsoft has the issue of bleeding talent. They buy a company and the talent leaves gradually over time and either the company gets shut down or becomes a shell of it's former self. They're a lot like EA in that they cannibalize companies to continue their existence.

They have a real culture problem of seeming like everything is just a business transaction. When the Todd Howards and Tim Schafers inevitably leave who they gonna be left with? I genuinely think the developers at Sony and Nintendo are passionate to be there long term and see value in staying on. I genuinely think the developers at Microsoft are just collecting a check for a while and will end up leaving to do something they're actually passionate about.

There is a level of desperation at Sony and Nintendo that Microsoft will never relate to. For those two gaming has to work or it could damn well sink the company. Gaming will never be that important to Microsoft.
I don't understand how the same breh with this opinion also supports microsoft buying up huge portions of the industry to stay competitive and feels like playstation deserves to be relegated to being a sony exclusive game player like Nintendo consoles.

:gucci:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Truth.

360 dominated early but PS3 ended up catching and passing them by the end of the generation. That momentum allowed PS4 to own the next generation.

Microsoft knows they're not ever gonna win the hardware wars so GamePass is their way in.
I think the biggest reason Sony caught up with the ps3 is because Microsoft started coasting and changed direction halfway through the generation. It seemed like Microsoft started chasing the wii market instead of continuing to build studio for AAA games. Then with the X1 they went with the cable box replacement route for some fukking reason, and squandered the marketshare they gained with the 360.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I think the biggest reason Sony caught up with the ps3 is because Microsoft started coasting and changed direction halfway through the generation. It seemed like Microsoft started chasing the wii market instead of continuing to build studio for AAA games. Then with the X1 they went with the cable box replacement route for some fukking reason, and squandered the marketshare they gained with the 360.

PS3 caught up primarily due to price drop, then games (most important factor), and of course Xbox running out of exclusive games since many of those timed exclusives contracts were up.

RROD didn't help either.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
gamepass will be the ultimate death of the gaming industry. People are being short sighted about its effects in its early stages just like they were with music and video.

They are already talking about ad-based tiers, which will continue to seep into everything else like mobile gaming and the non-ad based tiers (which will also slowly implement ads) will only continue to skyrocket in price. If it becomes the dominant method of distribution people are gonna end up paying way more to play games then they are now subscribing to steampass, sonypass, nintendopass, gamepass, to play one of every popular game.

Microsoft introducing their shytty windows apps pricing structure into games will be the death kneel for innovation. Look at the mobile gaming landscape and how much money its making, that will eventually find its way more and more into console gaming. F2P, Subscriptions, MTX, Ad-Based gaming will be the gold rush of the next console generation and its starting now.

The less Microsoft owns the better.

This is a damn good post.:ohhh: And folks brag so much about gamepass and how it's free.

I don't mind paying $70 for my games. I outright own it.

Veteran
Daps
People trying to personify multi-billion dollar companies is the one of many problems when talking about gaming.

Good, evil, villain, anti-consumer, its all bullshyt. The thing that matters is what pricing structure is most beneficial to us as a consumer, and while gamepass obviously looks the most appealing at the moment, the long term effects on the industry could prove to be dire, depending on the type of games you prefer.

I’d rather Microsoft prove they can put out consistent compelling software before we allow them to take the reigns of the entire industry, but thats just me. We’re going on two generations now with them proving they haven’t been able to even manage the small fleet of studios they’ve had much less two major publishers.

If Microsoft was smart, they'd actually consult Sony in asking why Playstation is so successful. :ufdup::ehh:

Microsoft doesn't give developers creative freedom. I've said this from day 1. A bunch of gray haired suits that's out of touch and don't shyt about gaming.

Veteran
Daps
Truth.

It's not even about the hardware. The 360 was actually stronger than the PS3.

Microsoft needs to give developers creative freedom.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
nikkas really spent 6 pages talking to yourselves :wow:

Sony gotta start making some multiplayer games so y’all can stay occupied.

These finished in a weekend games aint working out no more. The Arcadium needs a break from you dudes :huhldup:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
nikkas really spent 6 pages talking to yourselves :wow:

Sony gotta start making some multiplayer games so y’all can stay occupied.

These finished in a weekend games aint working out no more. The Arcadium needs a break from you dudes :huhldup:
iu