How would you "Fix" Age of Ultron?

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
The real question is how would you fix iron man 3:scust::scust:
Funny how iron man started this whole thing but his trilogy was hot:trash::trash:

I just went back and watched "Trevor Slattory's" quotes...I don't think i have been trolled harder in a movie before. This was M. Knight levels of trolling.

This is why I'm convinced Marvel does not care about doing villains right. They are clearly capable of creating the elements to a great villain, but a great villain on screen really makes you examine their motives and see shyt from their perspective.

And this is why I don't expect Thanos to be great.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So like..... I had to go back and rewatch Ultron scenes.... cuz when cats say "Ultron cracked jokes" I think to myself.... what joke did he actually crack? Like most case you can quote a funny joke told in a movie

This is 9 mns of Ultron scenes 2 things just really stood out to me;

1- A lot of what he said wasnt really even jokes
2- I think this was more the fault of the actor James Spader and his cadence/delivery than the script.

Like I watch The Blacklist and not sure if you watch that show, but its like this was basically Reddington.

Like James Spader, that just seems to be "him" and maybe as talented of an actor he is.... cuz I LOVE THE BLACKLIST but maybe he was the wrong choice for this role looking back? Cuz he does the exact thing as Reddington that he did with Ultron but no one complains about him being jokey, goofy, or take him less serious.

Strange, if buddy that played Agent Smith did Ultron.... I bet the tone of the character wouldve been dramatically different.

Damn my G.... you just helped me discover some shyt:ohhh:

Ultimately Ultron=Reddington

Martha

I’m sure I’ll regret this lol but cracking jokes seems to be shorthand for not a threat or menace. Different ball game but Silva cracked jokes in skyfall. They weren’t particularly funny but he had a couple moments of sick levity. But he also held one of the main characters at gunpoint and threatened to kill her and himself at the same time. He also shot someone else at point blank range indiscriminately.

Now obviously ultron isn’t Silva and a James Bond movie can go a little darker than a marvel movie. I get that. But there’s a threat with Silva. He may have a sick sense of humor but he’s also willing to put the glibness aside to show he’s a fukked up person and put the hero in real jeopardy. Same with the joker. Humor is awesome when used right but it can undercut thematic heft and weight at times and I feel like it does in this flick.

On the flip side, Zemo didn’t have that issue in civil war so I knew the whole time he meant business and he was a threat. Same with Keaton in homecoming. There’s no need to take the sting out of your threat cause it neuters them a bit

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I actually like Age of Ultron better than the original Avengers. I just thought Ultron could've been built up better and be more menacing.

To @Bryan Danielson's point, the cadence of his lines was a bit off causing his lines to appear tongue in cheek.

Also, I'm about the build-up...every comic film i rant on, if the build-up sucked, i tend to be biased. Comics do an excellent job of build-up, i expect comic book movies to do the same. I know this is sometimes hard to do in 150 minutes, but it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Yea back then I wasn’t really all that familiar with Spadee like that, I remember immediately before A2 he was on The Office but this may have dropped either before The Blacklist debuted or like season 1.

He is a pretty good actor but like how there was a thread a few years back about Denzel or WSmith acting skills and how they just “Denzel” their roles.

There was a thread about that comparing actors who can perfect blend in their roles masking its them ala maybe Heath as Joker vs actors who are incredibly talented but ultimately just them play a role as themselves ala majority of Sam L flicks.

Spader seems to be the latter and maybe he was miscast for Ultron. Cuz again he’s doing the EXACT SAME shyt on The Blacklist and I bet anyone who watches that show would ever complain about him or his character Reddington there.

Hugo Weaving in that same role would’ve taken Ultron in an entirely different direction...... plus he has a more menacing voice vs Spader who comes off more warm, friendly, and charming.

So yea........ I think that’s the fix:leon:

Martha

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I just went back and watched "Trevor Slattory's" quotes...I don't think i have been trolled harder in a movie before. This was M. Knight levels of trolling.

This is why I'm convinced Marvel does not care about doing villains right. They are clearly capable of creating the elements to a great villain, but a great villain on screen really makes you examine their motives and see shyt from their perspective.

And this is why I don't expect Thanos to be great.

Maybe..... but I still feel that may have a feeling that may have been more of a Shane Black/Drew Pearce call. With Fiegie doing what some are screaming for DC to do more of which is stand out the way and sign off. Vs actually mandating or forcing.

They trusted the director/writer, they took a chance, some liked it others hated it. But other then stepping in and vetoing it, I find it hard completely generalize them like that.

The way Shane Black portrayed his villain has absolutely nothing to do with how the Russo’s will portray theirs

Martha

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was used more as a way to set up the other movies than a full fledged sequel.

Pretty much this. It was used pretty much as a cinematic universe building film and it shows. Bloated plot with a retread of the character "challenges" from A1

I would:
-not call it age of ultron
-not kill off ultron (the fact he can be anwhere/everywere is really cool imo)
-not make ultron's personality too human

Vandelay

Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Maybe..... but I still feel that may have a feeling that may have been more of a Shane Black/Drew Pearce call. With Fiegie doing what some are screaming for DC to do more of which is stand out the way and sign off. Vs actually mandating or forcing.

They trusted the director/writer, they took a chance, some liked it others hated it. But other then stepping in and vetoing it, I find it hard completely generalize them like that.

The way Shane Black portrayed his villain has absolutely nothing to do with how the Russo’s will portray theirs

Martha

I can see it being a Shane Black call. I just would have figured Fiege would have stepped in because their universe is so controlled.

The last movie in Ironman's solo saga, and to me it went out more with a wimper.

I loved the narrative that Tony was not his suits, but someone who had to relearn how to overcome problems with what he was born with. That could have tied in well with a terrorist who thought of himself as a "teacher".

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I can see it being a Shane Black call. I just would have figured Fiege would have stepped in because their universe is so controlled.

The last movie in Ironman's solo saga, and to me it went out more with a wimper.

I loved the narrative that Tony was not his suits, but someone who had to relearn how to overcome problems with what he was born with. That could have tied in well with a terrorist who thought of himself as a "teacher".

I think thematically it works as is. And brings it full circle to iron man as a film series’ modus operandi: rich white men are the problem :russ:

Iron monger
Justin hammer
Killian

All rich white men hiding behind something else to project power and fear. All inverse of Tony and what he could be if he goes off course

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
joss movies feel like they are cooked out

he is always rushing from plot point to plot point

major set peices

-- The fight at the hydra base
-- the fight after the party
-- the fight on the ship
-- the hulk Vs hulkbuster
-- the south korea fight
-- the fight in eastern europe

--- cut one of those fights and let the film breath a bit

i think having the deleted scenes would given the film a little breathing room:yeshrug:

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Vandelay

Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I think thematically it works as is. And brings it full circle to iron man as a film series’ modus operandi: rich white men are the problem :russ:

Iron monger
Justin hammer
Killian

All rich white men hiding behind something else to project power and fear. All inverse of Tony and what he could be if he goes off course

Perhaps... but then why have the Mandarin? Should have just been a lower end Ironman villain and Killian.

But personally to me it should have been Mandarin...you can't front man...Ben Kingsley was setting it up to be epic...'Murrica'...theres just one lesson left, kiss your children goodbye, because nothing, not your army, not your red, white, and blue attack dogs can save you! I'll see you soon...

Dogg Mandarin was setting up to be dope as fukk...why couldn't Killian just be Mandarins pawn? Still can keep the rich evil white man narrative, but personally I'm just not willing to sell the Mandarin short for that narrative, in a comic book movie of all places. Whole thing was just extremely underwhelming.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Perhaps... but then why have the Mandarin? Should have just been a lower end Ironman villain and Killian.

But personally to me it should have been Mandarin...you can't front man...Ben Kingsley was setting it up to be epic...'Murrica'...theres just one lesson left, kiss your children goodbye, because nothing, not your army, not your red, white, and blue attack dogs can save you! I'll see you soon...

Dogg Mandarin was setting up to be dope as fukk...why couldn't Killian just be Mandarins pawn? Still can keep the rich evil white man narrative, but personally I'm just not willing to sell the Mandarin short for that narrative, in a comic book movie of all places. Whole thing was just extremely underwhelming.

Yeah I’m with you but it doesn’t bother me. Maybe because I’ve never had a thing for mandarin so it didn’t bug me at all and I liked the idea of terorrism needing a face and that face needing to be foreign. I thought it was a nice commentary on our country and we’ve only continued to go that route. Look at Charlottesville or the way officials are hesitant to call white guys terrorist. But when they’re brown or foreign? Bring out the guns baby.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
IM3 is crazy underrated in here, and its themes and commentary are much more deserving of 5000 word breakdowns than anything in the DCEU

It’s like that around the net. Of all movies where there seems to be a sharp divide between critics or film journalists and fans, it’s that one.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Less jokes for no reason. Even the fake Quicksilver made a joke when he died. "Bet you didn't see that coming. :mjgrin:"

Man, shut up and die, you didn't have a character in the first place. Literally was brought in for that movie specifically just to be killed off. Was the audience supposed to care about dude? His death had no emotional impact for me. It was basically like killing off a fast civilian.

None of the 'stakes' in the movie seemed to matter because everybody was just making jokes. Ultron was making more jokes more than the Joker.

In saying that, I didn't hate the movie. I thought it was fun. Just jokey to the extent that nothing seemed to matter.

Vandelay

Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Yeah I’m with you but it doesn’t bother me. Maybe because I’ve never had a thing for mandarin so it didn’t bug me at all and I liked the idea of terorrism needing a face and that face needing to be foreign. I thought it was a nice commentary on our country and we’ve only continued to go that route. Look at Charlottesville or the way officials are hesitant to call white guys terrorist. But when they’re brown or foreign? Bring out the guns baby.

Ironman's rogues gallery sucks, I'll admit. Honestly Mandarin really shouldn't have translated well to live-action, but i was impressed with Kingsley's presence.

Marvel live action universe isn't tackling the difficult theme of racism and white supremacy. I would love for the films to touch on it. Hell, i like your narrative of each businessman being someone Tony could have become or what part of him actually is. That story could have worked, had it been the only story. To focus on Mandarin only for him to really be Trevor, and Killian to be some nerd from back in the day with a chip on his shoulder over Tony was pretty lame.

Movie was entertaining, as are 90% of Marvel movies...but none in my opinion are great. The best might be the last two in the Captain America trilogy.

They take a more lighthearted approach, and that's cool. It's about appeal and making the most money, i get it. I'm just simply saying with a few tweaks they could be much more than they are.

Serious themes and villains don't have to be antithetical to box office success.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Couldn't even tell you breh. I watched this movie exactly once and never felt compelled to watch again. :hubie:

This was the last comic book movie I've watched too. I'd rather read at this point :manny: