How many people gonna get the PS5 Digital Edition if it's $100 cheaper?

which PS5?

• Total voters

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm not saying physical is always cheaper I'm saying sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. Upfront I'm not going to choose the limited option and deny myself those savings long term for short term savings upfront.

With the GCU expiration I'm not as attached to physical games but I still want that option as I see advantages to having it. I see no advantage to not having the option.
If both are the same price sure there’s no advantage.

If the discless version is less money then you pay less money for what in my opinion is a useless hardware component that’s usually the first thing to break anyway.

I am interested in how Sony is gonna market the discless version cause I don’t see it being that much cheaper, but you are right in that there’s no benefit to less options. I presume most people buying the discless version at launch will only be doing so out of necessity.

GZR

Final round
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I prefer the Digital Edition as it looks better and my collection is overwhelmingly digital. I own 4 physical games but 2 are duplicates that I own digitally too, the other 2 are RDR2 and Spiderman- I will probably buy the digital versions in a future sale.

However, I will probably buy the disk version.
The reason for this is that digital prices are typically much higher than physical here in the UK, sometimes by as much as £20 (~$25). Usually for games I am sure of I will buy the digital straight away but games I am unsure of I buy the physical and replace it with digital in a future sale if I really like them. If the difference between the 2 consoles is £100 I will probably save that in the first year with the physical edition.

The disc PS5 is really fukking ugly though. To the point that it looks as though Sony's engineers designed the Digital Edition as their labour of love and then added a disc drive to it to keep the physical gang happy.

Daps
It's nuts if your account has an issue u can lose access to all the games u paid for. It's disgusting.

If these are going to be licensed products for the same price as the physical, and you can lose access to them, a lawsuit needs to happen, to reduce their price
1) you should be able to refund digital games
2) digital games should be cheaper
3) selling and trading? probably never going to happen because of greed

I'm going all digital next gen and I was pretty much digital for the latter part of this gen

But I prefer the disc PS5 over the DE PS5 because even though I don' t really use 4k Bluray
It would be good to have the disc drive just in case

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If both are the same price sure there’s no advantage.

If the discless version is less money then you pay less money for what in my opinion is a useless hardware component that’s usually the first thing to break anyway.

I am interested in how Sony is gonna market the discless version cause I don’t see it being that much cheaper, but you are right in that there’s no benefit to less options. I presume most people buying the discless version at launch will only be doing so out of necessity.
Different retailers run different sales at different times. Some retailers only sell physical discs. It's virtually guaranteed that at some point there will be a sale on a physical game at a certain retailer that isn't on sale on PSN at the time. Especially on Black Friday. Games can go clearance at physical retailers. Sometimes Gamestop runs sales.

If you buy a console without a disc drive you're option out of access to all that. On Xbox it's not even a question because I don't consider the Series S a valid option. 512GB won't cut it and rumor has it the SSD cards will be over $200 so if you can get a 1TB Series X for $500 why bother getting the $300 Series S when you'll likely need more storage causing you to spend $200 more and you'll be suck with the weaker system and only have 1.5TB.

With PlayStation people will have more of a dilemma but I still say whatever you pay extra in the disc drive console you'll end up making up over the whole generation in getting cheaper games on sale and then some.

Daps
Different retailers run different sales at different times. Some retailers only sell physical discs. It's virtually guaranteed that at some point there will be a sale on a physical game at a certain retailer that isn't on sale on PSN at the time. Especially on Black Friday. Games can go clearance at physical retailers. Sometimes Gamestop runs sales.

If you buy a console without a disc drive you're option out of access to all that. On Xbox it's not even a question because I don't consider the Series S a valid option. 512GB won't cut it and rumor has it the SSD cards will be over $200 so if you can get a 1TB Series X for $500 why bother getting the $300 Series S when you'll likely need more storage causing you to spend $200 more and you'll be suck with the weaker system and only have 1.5TB.

With PlayStation people will have more of a dilemma but I still say whatever you pay extra in the disc drive console you'll end up making up over the whole generation in getting cheaper games on sale and then some.
I'm going all digital and still getting the disc PS5
Never know when a can't miss physical game deal comes along
I would buy the game cheap and then buy the digital version on sale and sell the game later
I got still got 18 physical PS4 games I would still like to play even though most of my PS4 games are digital

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
This you?

EhpRdeMX0AIyXgM

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was leaning towards the disc-less, but I like the idea of buying used games for the low. If I play enough games, I should recoup my costs...?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
It's nuts if your account has an issue u can lose access to all the games u paid for. It's disgusting.

If these are going to be licensed products for the same price as the physical, and you can lose access to them, a lawsuit needs to happen, to reduce their price
That doesn't happen bro, and you know how you're not PRESSED to own a CD? Why wouldn't the same logic apply to games? Gamepass = Spotify = Netflix

There will be a Sony equivalent, they already working on it with Microsoft. Not if, but when gamepass reaches a certain point Xbox won't be competing with Sony anymore like they said. Sony will do the same, with Sony eventually turning into EA play.

No cap either, when Microsoft making stupid profits off gamepass and Sony can't offer the same? Microsoft isn't going to help Sony ruin gamepass and since Sony exclusives are sought after? sony play or whatever they'll call it will still be a profitable venture. no losses on systems either. They don't have the infrastructure to do it any other way. possible joining Google but Microsoft was smart to prevent that. checkmate, mate :francis:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
@Mowgli negged me for telling the truth :wow:

If it makes you feel better you can continue acting like Gaikai will expand and hold you down. Y'all nikkaz laughed in my face about this cloud shyt. And I've been preaching how Xbox live would turn into the sega channel. Been screaming this since early sohh days :francis:

Real shyt, the console wars are over. Why Sony join Microsoft bruh, don't ignore facts. They winning supposedly so why join your rival?

Why was Sony employees panicking when the deal happened?

If you still buy CDs then I'm wrong (yeah, fukk spotify/etc) Otherwise, you're reading this because you're online. Games like music and tv is online based now. It's inevitable. I don't care if Sony finds a different solution to get there, I'm saying that's clearly where the industry as a whole is headed.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
That doesn't happen bro, and you know how you're not PRESSED to own a CD? Why wouldn't the same logic apply to games? Gamepass = Spotify = Netflix

There will be a Sony equivalent, they already working on it with Microsoft. Not if, but when gamepass reaches a certain point Xbox won't be competing with Sony anymore like they said. Sony will do the same, with Sony eventually turning into EA play.

No cap either, when Microsoft making stupid profits off gamepass and Sony can't offer the same? Microsoft isn't going to help Sony ruin gamepass and since Sony exclusives are sought after? sony play or whatever they'll call it will still be a profitable venture. no losses on systems either. They don't have the infrastructure to do it any other way. possible joining Google but Microsoft was smart to prevent that. checkmate, mate :francis:
I’m admittedly not that bright, because I don’t seem to understand, so please explain - what is the dollar figure per month at which Game Pass becomes profitable for Microsoft, while also being a great value for customers? We can assume 100 million subscribers paying full price (laughable, but anyway) for this hypothetical. No $1 upgrade, no promotions, full price. @MeachTheMonster @The Mad Titan