How long till I see gains brehs?

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
And don't get too extra with your regimen, stick with the fundamentals...chins/pulls, benching, push-ups, squats, etc...once you get into it, you'll naturally branch off to work on areas that need development, (i.e. isolation workouts).

If your diet is shyt then it'll be a waste of time though :rumad:

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
So what should I be eating?

I'm 154 lbs want to be like 165 toned

Rule 1 of Lift Club - Please refrain from using the T word amongst fitness circles , its more or less blasphemous & damn right offensive :scust:

You will need to Bulk firs to your intended weight goal & then cut a little because gaining muscle & fat is inevitable

Im 5'11 154lbs

Body fat no idea I'm skinny :to:

OK so here's a layman's guide that I did for one of my boys that could really prove useful in your quest to gain some muscle/size (provided you couple this with a decent lifting regime):

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html

Use above Calorie calculator & keep this rule in mind - whatever figure it gives you (this is your maintenance calorie) in order to put on size you NEED to eat ~300-500 calories on top of the given figure to attain positive healthy weight GAIN.

DIET NOTES For Results Given Above :

In order to CUT/ Lose weight ( lose fat preserve muscle gained from a bulk phase)

Again as a RULE OF THUMB you need to increase by 500 calories+
so ADD 500
to your given figure.

For maintenance simply eat the ACTUAL figure given by th ecalcuylator everyday & you should more or less remain at same weight.

MACRO ADVISE (Protein/Carb/Fat distribution) :

Before I go into detail below bear in mind these IMPORTANT figures:

1 Gram of Protein = 4 calories

1 Gram of Carbs = 4 calories.

1 Gram of FAT = 9 calories

So now that we know above this is how you workout your MACRO composition:

• PROTEIN - Always keep this high & by high consumption = 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So figure your weight out in KG then convert to pounds & thats your protein intake for e.g I'm 89Kg = 198Lbs = so my protein intake is ~200 grams everyday (rest day or training day). So e.g my total Kcalorie for day is 2500Kcals then 200 grams of protein will equate to 800Kcals (200 grams X4Kcal per gram). So 2500Kcal - 800 = 1700Kcals remaining to factor my Fats & Carbs for the day.

• FATS - This needs to be 20% of your Total Calorie. again lets take my e.g my total KCalorie for the day is 2500, 20% of that is 500Kcals (divide this by 9 to get number of grams) so my fat intake = 55 grams (55 X 9 calorie per gram formula). So now that my Protein and Fat (KEY MACROS) are out the way last but not least rest of your allowance is all Carbs.

• CARBS - so 2500 - 800 + 500 = 1200Kcal left again we divide this by 4 to get our grams = 300 grams of carbs.

So yea Scarf boy....there you go.... done & dusted...just to summarise:

• Go to link above get the BMR Calorie figure
  • Depending on your goal (if weight loss/ leaning out) minus 500 from it & that's your TOTAL KCAL per day. If Bulking then +500Kcal to given figure.
  • Next work out your MACRO using above notes & make sure they fit your requirements.
  • Remember protein always high/ fats moderate/low & Carbs always LAST.
  • Plug these figures into your Myfitness app as you eat throughout the day.
  • Lift, Eat, SLEEP, GROW & Job done son!
use Myfitness or similar app to plug in what you eating & it should give you your MACRO & Calorie numbers so you can keep track of your grams (don't really watch you calories watch your MACRO per se) & make sure you hitting close to those (ball park figures) everyday.

Good luck :salute:

Last edited:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
so if I just work out and continue eating what I'm eating then nothing happens?

Dudes a personal trainer he has me doing everything :manny:

There are a lot of bad personal trainers out there. I would def try and figure things out on my own a little bit. Plus personal trainers will have you changing shyt up all the time to keep you coming back and feeling like you need them to tell you what to do.

Really, you can just get away with a simple ass program. A nice little upper body/lower body split. Upper body day, you would just do

Bench press
Some kind of back move (chin ups, lateral pulldowns, dumbbell rows)
Lateral raises
Tricep isolation move
Bicep isolation move

Then for lower body I think you could just get away with

Compound quad move (squats, leg press, whatever, doesn't really matter)
Compound posterior chain move (deadlift variation)
Quad iso/accessory (front squats are prob best)
Hamstring curls
Calf raises

You hit those for 3 sets of 8-12 reps 2x a week each, focus on form and progressing in weight, and eat a high protein diet with a reasonable surplus (no more than 1lb a week in weight gain) you will be straight. You dont need a personal trainer for anything but maybe teaching you movements... and a lot of em dont' know em :camby:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Nah dude is good he actually posts here that's how I met him

Going to go for a few months as I'm totally out of shape before I take the training wheels off

There are a lot of bad personal trainers out there. I would def try and figure things out on my own a little bit. Plus personal trainers will have you changing shyt up all the time to keep you coming back and feeling like you need them to tell you what to do.

Really, you can just get away with a simple ass program. A nice little upper body/lower body split. Upper body day, you would just do

Bench press
Some kind of back move (chin ups, lateral pulldowns, dumbbell rows)
Lateral raises
Tricep isolation move
Bicep isolation move

Then for lower body I think you could just get away with

Compound quad move (squats, leg press, whatever, doesn't really matter)
Compound posterior chain move (deadlift variation)
Quad iso/accessory (front squats are prob best)
Hamstring curls
Calf raises

You hit those for 3 sets of 8-12 reps 2x a week each, focus on form and progressing in weight, and eat a high protein diet with a reasonable surplus (no more than 1lb a week in weight gain) you will be straight. You dont need a personal trainer for anything but maybe teaching you movements... and a lot of em dont' know em :camby:

dc007

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DC
@Emperor_ReinScarf

When I first started it was hard to eat enough calories during the day because I would feel full. Don't disregard the tip on making protein shakes....you can put oatmeal and almonds in them and it will make reaching your calories goals each day a lot easier.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Just had my second workout so out of shape brehs can barely lift anything :mjcry:

Any ingredients for a protein shake?

I'm lactose what whey or whatever do I buy?

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Just had my second workout so out of shape brehs can barely lift anything :mjcry:

Any ingredients for a protein shake?

I'm lactose what whey or whatever do I buy?
Most whey has some lactose in it. Whey concentrate typically has less than isolate but I think there are lactose-free powders out there.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
How sensitive are you to it? Can you eat ice cream? If so you should be fine.

I can but I fart afterwards :manny:

how do you know whats a good smoothie or protein shake just one with the mos tcalories?