How did/does it feel being the token black dude in college?

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
it sucks. that simple. nevermind having to deal with them, but not having people of your kind to deal with takes a toll after a while.

1. There will be times that you want to watch a basketball game or play some Madden/NBA 2k on TV but your 6 roommates are already watching an Olympic hockey game or some shyt.
  2. They stink and aren't clean on average
  3. Any time a black dude is around, these fakkits will literally watch and see how the two of you interact. If you dont know him, they will make a slick comment to get the ball rolling so they can pay attention.
  4. When youre in the club and see two fine sistas you dont have any wingman to help you get at the two of them. Even if one is feeling a sista, he'll likely be too much of a p*ssy to defect from the rerst and help you out.
  5. They will eventually try and say the word nikka around you
  6. Nobody to discuss music with. They think it's cool to discuss rap but nah, that shyt isnt the same to you as it is to me. Listen to your bullshyt, say the word nikka under your breath but discuss the new Macklemore album with me.

[*]The ample race related jokes which SIMPLY ARE NOT FUNNY AND ARE TIRED AS fukk
  7. A few of em talk shyt about black girls for some reason and the stereotypes. (Weave, cocoa butter, sassiness etc)

[*] Like dude said, they treat you like a spokesperson for all black folks and will insinuate that you dont belong there. Like you should be on a corner slangin and catchin bodies isntead.

And the last one is really real. They are real sly with it too. The amount of times I've heard, "youre so white" because I dont wear baggy clothes, listen to some rock music at times (dont blast it for all to hear though), am articulate/smart...etc. is really a shame. But then again I've heard it from Black ppl too growing up.

Overall being a part of the minority just sucks no matter what situation youre in. Nothing against whitey's, but you just cant relate to them if youre a black person. It isnt even a matter of being from the hood, its about the color of your skin that makes the difference. The way you were raised...

Even if you're a dude surrounded by nothing but women, I bet youll start pulling hair out eventually. The sad reality is that as a black male, you are a minority pretty much anywhere that you go. If you're entering a school, no matter where just try to find yourself one or two black dudes that you can connect with. All it takes is a quick headnod and a dap. Chop up some game and then build a relationship. Or else, youre gonna be gouging out your eyeballs by the time summer comes around. Anybody who has been in a situation like this will see truth in this post.

So much reality in one post. :wow:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
You do realize that you would have met MORE MATURE people than your high school friends at an HBCU or any other college for that matter? I hope you don't seriously think that HBCUs are filled with immature thugs or something? Or that only white college kids are mature or something? Because that's how your statement reads.

I know. i was just speaking on high school vs college in general

not racially speaking

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:deadmanny: You not lying. I see this shyt all the time.

-Teachers staring you down when its exam time, when u got chun-li to ya right pretty much having a open book exam on his iphone :snoop:

Jus tha lil things man :manny:

This reminds of one of my classes freshman year which was in a lecture hall. All the Asian kids (and I mean the fresh off the boat kids) Would all study together and the night before the test they would see which student knew the most of the material and who knew the least

So when it was time to take the test the kid who knew the most would sit in the front and the rest of the Asian kids would sit behind him (it was always one dude who knew all the material) so they could copy down the answers and since its a lecture hall and you can see the person's paper in front of you.

Every test day I'd be looking over at them like :stopitslime::ufdup:

But I can't even hate on em for doing that :manny: b/c if they fail then they have to go back to their country and start over.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
thinking im jamaican just because im black :ufdup:

:lolbron:

Bet you were like:
tumblr_mbkr03NtHN1rphz0p.gif

NelsonSwagdela

All Star
Daps
Went to school in college in Canada and I made the best of it honestly felt like I made friends easier and just had a good time there was always awkward moments but if you play your cards right you can use it to your advantage.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
I'm going to keep it 100% I was at the University of Michigan during that entire Affrimative Action lawsuit for the law school and undergrad programs.

Grutter v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gratz v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Things were cool the entire time I was there, but when this shyt popped off...people started getting bold. Like riding the bus to class and you can hear people saying little shyt like, "Just because he is Black doesn't mean he should be here". Or people asking me, do I play for the Football team or the Basketball team. Some times that shyt was harmless other times it was insulting...Like "bytch I'm in the same Latin class with you". But the higher you go in education the less black people you will see in certain parts of the country. Or they expect you to carry the race when certain topics are discussed. Like in Law School this Jewish White Kid kept saying during an argument about Affirmative Action (like white women don't receive benefits from it too) that slavery was over and black people need to show personal responsibility. I agreed with him and then said that we need to stop funding Israel because the Holocaust is over. :shaq:... He wasn't pleased about that shyt but I take it as an honor my grandparents and parents fought for me to be the only Black Man in the room. Going places that they never dreamed of. Take it in stride. And expect the unexpected.

Costanza

lord of the idiots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerrys place
i had the cocky black wr thing going.. so it wasnt that bad for me... ive been the only black since junior high tho.. so its a different thing completely.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
it sucks. that simple. nevermind having to deal with them, but not having people of your kind to deal with takes a toll after a while.

1. There will be times that you want to watch a basketball game or play some Madden/NBA 2k on TV but your 6 roommates are already watching an Olympic hockey game or some shyt.
  2. They stink and aren't clean on average
  3. Any time a black dude is around, these fakkits will literally watch and see how the two of you interact. If you dont know him, they will make a slick comment to get the ball rolling so they can pay attention.
  4. When youre in the club and see two fine sistas you dont have any wingman to help you get at the two of them. Even if one is feeling a sista, he'll likely be too much of a p*ssy to defect from the rerst and help you out.
  5. They will eventually try and say the word nikka around you
  6. Nobody to discuss music with. They think it's cool to discuss rap but nah, that shyt isnt the same to you as it is to me. Listen to your bullshyt, say the word nikka under your breath but discuss the new Macklemore album with me cause I dont listen to that horseshyt. Don't discuss Mobb Deep with me because you dont understand the shyt theyre talking about (not saying I'm a thug but still). Dont talk to me about Mos Def and Talib because you dont relate to their pro black material. Lastly, dont talk to me about nerd rap like Immortal Technique because its trash.
  7. The ample race related jokes which SIMPLY ARE NOT FUNNY AND ARE TIRED AS fukk
  8. A few of em talk shyt about black girls for some reason and the stereotypes. (Weave, cocoa butter, sassiness etc)

[*] Like dude said, they treat you like a spokesperson for all black folks and will insinuate that you dont belong there. Like you should be on a corner slangin and catchin bodies instead

And the last one is really real. They are real sly with it too. The amount of times I've heard, "youre so white" because I dont wear baggy clothes, listen to some rock music at times (dont blast it for all to hear though), am articulate/smart...etc. is really a shame. But then again I've heard it from Black ppl too growing up.

Overall being a part of the minority just sucks no matter what situation youre in. Nothing against whitey's, but you just cant relate to them if youre a black person. It isnt even a matter of being from the hood, its about the color of your skin that makes the difference. The way you were raised...

Even if you're a dude surrounded by nothing but women, I bet youll start pulling hair out eventually. The sad reality is that as a black male, you are a minority pretty much anywhere that you go. If you're entering a school, no matter where just try to find yourself one or two black dudes that you can connect with. All it takes is a quick headnod and a dap. Chop up some game and then build a relationship. Or else, youre gonna be gouging out your eyeballs by the time summer comes around. Anybody who has been in a situation like this will see truth in this post.

sounds like my job :wow:

:snoop: flashbacks

:pacspit: Asian females in academia are some of the most racist stuck up money-hungry bytches you will meet

I was pretty used to being the token black kid tho, and I found the black kids that got too hung up on it annoying. You just got to learn to work with people. It doesn't mean you have to c00n, just put them in their place when they act up and keep it movin. A lot of people I met who didn't have that experience prior to college didn't know how to do it.

Lot of Black folks dropped out because they couldn't take the lily white community and wanted to go back to their own home/communities. Had a friend kill himself because he couldn't take it :why: that shyt was rough...but when I saw that I knew that I couldn't let myself be negative. He couldn't deal with the white folks who had no idea what he was going home to on winter break and he got trapped in a cycle of feeling like he couldn't get out.

:snoop:

I wish he'd just gone to an HBCU. My homie...

just transfer breh :what: no need to do all of that.

I'ma tell all of you guys going to an HBCU is the one and only time in America you will ever experience BLACK PRIVILEGE ...

Emperor Sol

Knowledge and Wisdom
Daps
Reppin
CAN
Brehs, don't let this thread die.

I just recently got into college and this thread could be of great used to me.

*Subs* :wow:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Its a little annoying after a while because chances are you are surrounded by people who have no sense of culture regardless of background.

I have been asked if I am:
Black
Puerto Rican
Mexican
Salvadorian
How do I speak English so well, If I was born in this country :russ:

What makes it worse is when people talk and have NO IDEA wtf they are saying...I just nod my head and just let them go on with their ignorant ways. Some cats out here think Taco Bell is authentic Mexican food