How did/does it feel being the token black dude in college?

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
It was mostly shyt at home not the school itself. I actually think the school was tolerant, I had few issues while there with administration or students, but he was from one of the roughest neighborhoods in B-more and every few weeks he would get a phone call that one of his homies was dead.

He was like the only one to escape and go to college, and I guess he just couldn't cut it. It happened when he went home on break one year for a funeral.

My school had a pretty prevalent suicide rate on campus though. The coursework was real rough and the expectations were real high. Regular white students would crack under the pressure too, but I knew him personally and knew his issues were more about being the Black man in the White man's world. I tried to talk to him about it but I didn't know it was that bad. :to:

You either went to Cornell or UChicago :snoop:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm going to keep it 100% I was at the University of Michigan during that entire Affrimative Action lawsuit for the law school and undergrad programs.

Grutter v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gratz v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Things were cool the entire time I was there, but when this shyt popped off...people started getting bold. Like riding the bus to class and you can hear people saying little shyt like, "Just because he is Black doesn't mean he should be here". Or people asking me, do I play for the Football team or the Basketball team. Some times that shyt was harmless other times it was insulting...Like "bytch I'm in the same Latin class with you". But the higher you go in education the less black people you will see in certain parts of the country. Or they expect you to carry the race when certain topics are discussed. Like in Law School this Jewish White Kid kept saying during an argument about Affirmative Action (like white women don't receive benefits from it too) that slavery was over and black people need to show personal responsibility. I agreed with him and then said that we need to stop funding Israel because the Holocaust is over. :shaq:... He wasn't pleased about that shyt but I take it as an honor my grandparents and parents fought for me to be the only Black Man in the room. Going places that they never dreamed of. Take it in stride. And expect the unexpected.

shyt that make ya soul burn slow.
mysmilie_2508.gif
mysmilie_1863.gif
:wow:

iamstr8fire

Apex Predator
Daps
Reppin
In The Thunder and Rain
It only came up on days I didn't have my hair braided. When they saw they fro they were like :leon: :chicmelon: :ooh:. White chicks ALWAYS wanted to touch my hair.

SwagKingKong

All Star
Daps
damn, the token black guy exists in colleges in the states too :ohhh:

it has both its upside and downside over here... some are like :shaq: while others give me the :mjpls:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
damn, the token black guy exists in colleges in the states too :ohhh:

it has both its upside and downside over here... some are like :shaq: while others give me the :mjpls:

for real. I have hit a few becky's but theres a common misconception that white girls go to college craving black dudes. Maybe I'm a lame or too dark or sumn but that isn't the case exactly.

You have some girls that come from small rural towns New Hampshire if youre American, or Nova Scotia for my Canadians and may have never actually seen a black dude in their lives. Some are down to earth and some are immediately :merchant: when you try to talk to them. It's life though, wont be everyone's cup of tea.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It only came up on days I didn't have my hair braided. When they saw they fro they were like :leon: :chicmelon: :ooh:. White chicks ALWAYS wanted to touch my hair.

I forgot about this :snoop:

Why do white folks try and get every black dude to try and grow a fro? This isnt 1985 :smh:

Grams

Grams Grands Gucci G'd Up
Daps
Reppin
Eastside
for real. I have hit a few becky's but theres a common misconception that white girls go to college craving black dudes. Maybe I'm a lame or too dark or sumn but that isn't the case exactly.

You have some girls that come from small rural towns New Hampshire if youre American, or Nova Scotia for my Canadians and may have never actually seen a black dude in their lives. Some are down to earth and some are immediately :merchant: when you try to talk to them. It's life though, wont be everyone's cup of tea.

I was telling my Asian friend about how I got a white girl's number he was like "white girls love black guys dude" and I gave him the

29-Camron-NP.gif

cuz I couldn't even count the number of times I got hit with the :mjpls:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
There's a breh in my class who's name is Devon, and the teacher always pronounces it Devaughn doing attendance

"devaughn"?
"no its deh-vin"

every
single
week
:russ:

its like he knows he's black, but either he pronounces it a funky way, or its a subconscious "black name" thing

But I wouldn't know anything about this kinda thing, being in NYC and all.

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
I can handle being surrounded by white students, but these FOB asian n!ggas are the worst. :pacspit: Never give you straight answers.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Couple of days ago I was at an honor society meeting and there was only one other black dude.:CoolAssCreature:'s all around us talking about Hockey and other Viking shyt and we're looking at each other like:upsetfavre:.Never felt more out of place in my life.I can handle being around white ppl but these were a different breed.