How did/does it feel being the token black dude in college?

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wasnt even the students. Its mothafukkas that was in the establishment, like housing directors, chairmen, advisors, teachers, etc.

-Getting asked to show ID when you are on your own damn campus at night time.

-Teachers staring you down when its exam time, when u got chun-li to ya right pretty much having a open book exam on his iphone :snoop:

Jus tha lil things man :manny:

:deadmanny: You not lying. I see this shyt all the time.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Never what is felt like :youngsabo: Went to two of the most diverse schools in the country.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
http://rumorsontheinternets.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/wee-bey-oh-shyt.gif

So much real life.

I grew up in the ghetto and a lot of the ghetto kids would make fun of me because i dressed "white", at the time i was skating.

I used to go to a lot of hood schools near the projects in Brooklyn and had to deal with goons talking chit everyday.

i aint dress white...i just went to the school were all of project kids went and if ya sneaks had one scuff, you were getting roasted all day :noah:

they flamed me for a stain on my white tee and i wore a fresh white one every day for the rest of the year :noah:

but it was all fun and games, i used roast niccas too, its just part of growing up in the hood :noah:

Y'all do realize that there is a HUGE difference between the kids at your ghetto ass high school and the kids going to an HBCU?

Hell, you're not going to get made fun of in college like you did in high school anyway regardless of where you go/where you went.

SMH @ getting bullied into where you were going to college.

Ain't no goons at NC A&T or Howard, etc., etc. :snoop:

i was never bullied, but i was ready to meet people who were more mature and on my level. all my high school friends work at fed ex, mcdonalds, are dead, in jail or drug dealing :manny:

theyre all small minded bums :manny:

the ones who made it out good have average blue collar jobs and havent even been outside the city and think olive garden is fine dining :russ:

i still got a handful of friends but i be out with my college friends more now :ahh:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Dealing with racism in college is prep for dealing with the work force in real life.

Kinda made me look at cacs a lil differently tho :mjpls: , also pushed me to start my own business, no way in hell am I gonna live the rest of my days dealing with these fufu ass "pseudo" racist crackas :manny:

real shyt the :mjpls: was strong in college :scusthov:

remember my "never change" freestyle?

"I got problems im looking for the answers, im getting funny looks as i walk around campus --- they looking at me like a motherfukker crook, shyt...why the fukk you think im carrying all these books, bytch?"

:myman:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
PAWG heaven

Jungle fever everywhere...:wow:

I'm more laid back and sh!t everyone expects a black man to me loud and sh!t :what:

That's what I find offensive...."so you want to tell me you can't rap" :pacspit:

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It's true :( I won't go into detail because of anonymity, but he already had a lot of his own issues with depression. Combine that with being surrounded by :skip: all the time with no real human concerns, hearing that people back home were dying every few months from a shooting, trying to hold down jobs while getting through school, homie couldn't take it and just snapped. I found out about it after it happened, knew he had problems with the school but I didn't know it was that bad.

In engineering a lot of people drop out after the first struggle year anyway/leave, but for the Black students from the US it was way worse. Didn't think he'd kill himself :snoop: I have mixed feelings on it now because I was upset about it but most of the time when I think about how selfish it is I just get angry. I saw what he put other people through and his mom who had to deal with her only son going away to a prestigious school and offing himself because he cracked under the pressure :huhldup:

I was determined that shyt could not be that serious--but I also came from a more stable background than he did, and for the most part I couldn't relate too much to his struggle, but I understood it. shyt was fukked up :rip:

AntiHero

Long time lurker
Daps
I hate it. Especially being from Florida, I got a little Southern accent so I feel awkward as fukk speaking around these white kids with NY accents.

When professor calls on me to read the text out loud :damn:

I hate when teachers call you to read out loud.

The biggest mistake I've ever made was emailing him and asking him if he could stop calling on me, for the rest of year he continued calling on me.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
real shyt the :mjpls: was strong in college :scusthov:

remember my "never change" freestyle?

"I got problems im looking for the answers, im getting funny looks as i walk around campus --- they looking at me like a motherfukker crook, shyt...why the fukk you think im carrying all these books, bytch?"

:myman:

Shoulda continued ya music dreams after college bruh :wow:

I woulda copped a album, jus for the picture on the cover :noah: :lolbron:

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA
From my experiences in being the only/token black dude in college it's been pretty :ehh:

All the people there look at me like a good representation of black men and I think I do a good job being the opposite of all bad stereotypes about black people. I think I'm a perception changer.

All the white girls and other races of women feel more comfortable around me I notice because I'm that laid back cool type of nikka that really makes them curious :jawalrus:

But I have to admit it does get annoying being the spokesperson of black people all the time:upsetfavre:

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
i aint dress white...i just went to the school were all of project kids went and if ya sneaks had one scuff, you were getting roasted all day :noah:

they flamed me for a stain on my white tee and i wore a fresh white one every day for the rest of the year :noah:

but it was all fun and games, i used roast niccas too, its just part of growing up in the hood :noah:

i was never bullied, but i was ready to meet people who were more mature and on my level. all my high school friends work at fed ex, mcdonalds, are dead, in jail or drug dealing :manny:

theyre all small minded bums :manny:

the ones who made it out good have average blue collar jobs and havent even been outside the city and think olive garden is fine dining :russ:

i still got a handful of friends but i be out with my college friends more now :ahh:

You do realize that you would have met MORE MATURE people than your high school friends at an HBCU or any other college for that matter? I hope you don't seriously think that HBCUs are filled with immature thugs or something? Or that only white college kids are mature or something? Because that's how your statement reads.

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
It's true :( I won't go into detail because of anonymity, but he already had a lot of his own issues with depression. Combine that with being surrounded by :skip: all the time with no real human concerns, hearing that people back home were dying every few months from a shooting, trying to hold down jobs while getting through school, homie couldn't take it and just snapped. I found out about it after it happened, knew he had problems with the school but I didn't know it was that bad.

In engineering a lot of people drop out after the first struggle year anyway/leave, but for the Black students from the US it was way worse. Didn't think he'd kill himself :snoop: I have mixed feelings on it now because I was upset about it but most of the time when I think about how selfish it is I just get angry. I saw what he put other people through and his mom who had to deal with her only son going away to a prestigious school and offing himself because he cracked under the pressure :huhldup:

I was determined that shyt could not be that serious--but I also came from a more stable background than he did, and for the most part I couldn't relate too much to his struggle, but I understood it. shyt was fukked up :rip:

damn, what was the issue/challenge going on at school? and environment that made him snap?