How did/does it feel being the token black dude in college?

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
I put up with that stuff starting in junior high, so college was pretty much gravy by that point. I did have black folks to kick it with from time to time, but most folks were actually pretty cool or didn't really bother me. Looking back, I didn't get too much BS to even wonder about, though it did get schizophrenic after a while... :dead:

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only thing was group assignments no one wanted to work with me.

Sent from royalty using Tapatalk breh

:snoop: flashbacks

:pacspit: Asian females in academia are some of the most racist stuck up money-hungry bytches you will meet

I was pretty used to being the token black kid tho, and I found the black kids that got too hung up on it annoying. You just got to learn to work with people. It doesn't mean you have to c00n, just put them in their place when they act up and keep it movin. A lot of people I met who didn't have that experience prior to college didn't know how to do it.

Lot of Black folks dropped out because they couldn't take the lily white community and wanted to go back to their own home/communities. Had a friend kill himself because he couldn't take it :why: that shyt was rough...but when I saw that I knew that I couldn't let myself be negative. He couldn't deal with the white folks who had no idea what he was going home to on winter break and he got trapped in a cycle of feeling like he couldn't get out.

:snoop:

I wish he'd just gone to an HBCU. My homie...

AntiHero

Long time lurker
Daps

:pacspit: Asian females in academia are some of the most racist stuck up money-hungry bytches you will meet

I was pretty used to being the token black kid tho, and I found the black kids that got too hung up on it annoying. You just got to learn to work with people. It doesn't mean you have to c00n, just put them in their place when they act up and keep it movin. A lot of people I met who didn't have that experience prior to college didn't know how to do it.

Lot of Black folks dropped out because they couldn't take the lily white community and wanted to go back to their own home/communities. Had a friend kill himself because he couldn't take it :why: that shyt was rough...but when I saw that I knew that I couldn't let myself be negative. He couldn't deal with the white folks who had no idea what he was going home to on winter break and he got trapped in a cycle of feeling like he couldn't get out.

:comeon:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
what happened? how did you handle it?

Ta or Prof would assign a group assignment like groups of 5, I literally could not find a group and it happened on more than one occasion.

I just did the project by myself and explained to the Prof.

One Prof actually called my house and talked to my parents if I had a social disorder.

Sent from royalty using Tapatalk breh

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City

Got damn bruh!!.....What college did you go to???........

King Poetic

Yeah I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
my college years wasn't bad.. i say when it came to group assignments or other group events white people was cool.

it was more segregated among black folks than white or black...

I had black chicks or black dudes who never showed up to class most of the time or the girls was skanks and only hung around the football or basketball or frat boys but only wanted to talk to u when they needed help with work assignments or wanted to be in your groups cause u know the material...

I would always tell them i missed that day of class so i don't know..

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Dealing with racism in college is prep for dealing with the work force in real life.

Kinda made me look at cacs a lil differently tho :mjpls: , also pushed me to start my own business, no way in hell am I gonna live the rest of my days dealing with these fufu ass "pseudo" racist crackas :manny:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate it. Especially being from Florida, I got a little Southern accent so I feel awkward as fukk speaking around these white kids with NY accents.

When professor calls on me to read the text out loud :damn:

Lavish

Its Lavish, hoe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tdot.. till the death of me
I was never really a token black person in university. our schools here are pretty multicultural. my school had alot of black folks

but I remember one time at work I was with my team in a team meeting, and I was the only black person on that team...there was a discussion and somehow someone asked a question about jamaica...and literally every person turned to me..:stopitslime:

thinking im jamaican just because im black :ufdup:

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
I hate it. Especially being from Florida, I got a little Southern accent so I feel awkward as fukk speaking around these white kids with NY accents.

When professor calls on me to read the text out loud :damn:

was the professor picking on you? or just wanted a reading?

Mr Uncle Leroy

All Star
Daps
Dealing with racism in college is prep for dealing with the work force in real life.

Kinda made me look at cacs a lil differently tho :mjpls: , also pushed me to start my own business, no way in hell am I gonna live the rest of my days dealing with these fufu ass "pseudo" racist crackas :manny:

what were some of your interactions like?

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
was the professor picking on you? or just wanted a reading?

Sometimes, she picks random students and sometimes we just go around in order of where you're sitting.

When she picks random students I make sure not to make eye contact because 9 times out of 10 I always get called on. :wow:

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
what were some of your interactions like?

Wasnt even the students. Its mothafukkas that was in the establishment, like housing directors, chairmen, advisors, teachers, etc.

-Getting asked to show ID when you are on your own damn campus at night time.

-Teachers staring you down when its exam time, when u got chun-li to ya right pretty much having a open book exam on his iphone :snoop:

Jus tha lil things man :manny:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only experienced tokenism in my classes. The only time it sucked was when race related topics are brought up. :whoa: Professors would say some stuff and everyone would back at me for confirmation. :skip: