How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

Tikal

Coming thru like BLAOW
Daps
Reppin
:ahh:
I'm more of a Marvel fan then a DC fan. But Batman and Superman have always been staples of pop culture so I can't agree completely with the premise of the thread.

DC has better non-superhero comics tho. Maybe they focused on that imprint in late 90's early 2000s and that why Marvel got the upperhand with superheroes for the new generations.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I think OP needs to restate what he means by popular so we can be more objective about it. I feel like everyone is going off of their own biased perception, but having worked with this stuff the numbers paint a different picture.

For example, X-Men is super popular with those of use who grew up in the 90's. I'd argue X-Men has performed well in the movies and in video games. But the X-Men perform TERRIBLE as a toy. Like abysmal units. That's why Hasbro doesn't even make them any more (combined with the fact that Marvel is on some :mjpls: stuff with making toys for movie properties they don't own, but that's another story) You might see a Wolverine toy now and then but that's it. The lack of toys indicates X-Men isn't really that popular with the young kids crowd.

It's also funny what name recognition can do. I worked Comic-Con last year and saw all these lil kids with Superman and Batman costumes/shirts. I'd ask them why they liked Superman and they didn't even know. They just DID. That's the kinda of pop culture power that transcends generations right there.

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
DC will always be king of pop culture. Walk through your local Walmart or Target clothing sections and you'll see more Batman and Superman logo on t-shirts than Spider-Man and the Avengers. People still identify with the 60's Batman show. DC characters have had a longer presence in pop culture with the Superman serials in the 40's, the 50's Superman tv show, the 60's Batman show, Superfriends, the Donner Superman movies, the Batman movies, etc whereas Marvel is just starting to become real known outside Spider-Man and the X-Men.

TV: DC has had it on lock for decades with their cartoons and live action shows (The Flash, Smallville, Arrow, etc). AOS is crap but Daredevil was great.

Video games: I think they're tied. Mainly because of the Arkham games and Injustice but outside of that not really much. Marvel has been real hit and miss with their games.

Comics: They've both been garbage for awhile. I was a huge comic fan in the 90's but stopped reading in 2001. I would occasionally look at some stuff but it was garbage. With Secret Wars and Convergence I thought Marvel and DC would get better but it's the same old crap with added bullshyt. Cyclops is Magneto lite, Iceman is gay, Batman got a b*stard child, and other BS:scust:

Movies: Marvel has been shining for almost ten years with their movies but IMO, with the exception of Winter Soldier, all their movies after 2012's Avengers have been average at best. DC has relied too much on Batman. Green Lantern was bad and even though it had its flaws, Man of Steel was a good movie. Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad are going to be lit!

I think both companies are evenly matched with their strengths and weaknesses.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I t(combined with the fact that Marvel is on some :mjpls: stuff with making toys for movie properties they don't own, but that's another story)

What's the deal behind that? If Disney/Marvel made the toys for X-Men/Dead/Gambit/F4 would they see any/all of that money or would they have to share? Or are they just on that :mjpls: phase to be dikks? I think the fans lose out on that the most with this frosty relationship between Disney/Fox, because there is some serious money I'd invest into some Deadpool merch.

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I think OP needs to restate what he means by popular so we can be more objective about it. I feel like everyone is going off of their own biased perception, but having worked with this stuff the numbers paint a different picture.

For example, X-Men is super popular with those of use who grew up in the 90's. I'd argue X-Men has performed well in the movies and in video games. But the X-Men perform TERRIBLE as a toy. Like abysmal units. That's why Hasbro doesn't even make them any more (combined with the fact that Marvel is on some :mjpls: stuff with making toys for movie properties they don't own, but that's another story) You might see a Wolverine toy now and then but that's it. The lack of toys indicates X-Men isn't really that popular with the young kids crowd.

It's also funny what name recognition can do. I worked Comic-Con last year and saw all these lil kids with Superman and Batman costumes/shirts. I'd ask them why they liked Superman and they didn't even know. They just DID. That's the kinda of pop culture power that transcends generations right there.

NO..it means Marvel is trying to freeze them out and just offere you Iron Man, Avengers, Spider Man, and Inhumans as an alternative. Everyone knows that..what's the matter with you?

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
What's the deal behind that? If Disney/Marvel made the toys for X-Men/Dead/Gambit/F4 would they see any/all of that money or would they have to share? Or are they just on that :mjpls: phase to be dikks? I think the fans lose out on that the most with this frosty relationship between Disney/Fox, because there is some serious money I'd invest into some Deadpool merch.

They would see the money but those franchises just aren't popular enough to entice Marvel to push them. Their clear objective is to maximize the merch that coincides with their releases. Since launching a toy is a collaborative effort (movie studios, toy maker, retailers) and requires a lot of money, the non-Disney properties lose out.

But if the property is gonna make them money, please believe they'll do it. Like they've done with Spider-Man. But investing money in advertising toy launches for their other properties doesn't really help their movie release agenda. This is also why they brought Spidey into the fold.

NO..it means Marvel is trying to freeze them out and just offere you Iron Man, Avengers, Spider Man, and Inhumans as an alternative. Everyone knows that..what's the matter with you?

X-Men toys have NEVER sold well. NEVER. Even before all this studio nonsense. Fall back, I worked in this industry for real.

And if it was all about Marvel freezing out other studios then explain why they let Spider-Man toys be popular. And this was even before they reached that agreement to cross-promote Spidey with the Avengers.

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I don't give a damn what you worked in. I go by the sales figures that used to be in Wizard and $hit like that....but this isn't an important subject. Marvel>DC on the mainstream level.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Not talking about anyone in here but people make me :mjlol: when they say "marvel>dc" or "I'm more of a marvel fan" but they can name more DC characters than Marvel and didn't know shyt about Marvel before those Iron man and Co movies
I deal with this all the time. Or they bring up one arbitrary event as the end all be all of comic knowledge. "Silver Surfer did his thing in Infinity Saga, nobody in DC is fukkin with him....:mjpls:"
I had to actually argue with a friend about why they went with Gwen Stacy instead of Mary Jane in ASM. Same friend didn't understand why they used Green Goblin in the first Raimi Spider-man.