How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
DC will always be king of pop culture. Walk through your local Walmart or Target clothing sections and you'll see more Batman and Superman logo on t-shirts than Spider-Man and the Avengers. People still identify with the 60's Batman show. DC characters have had a longer presence in pop culture with the Superman serials in the 40's, the 50's Superman tv show, the 60's Batman show, Superfriends, the Donner Superman movies, the Batman movies, etc whereas Marvel is just starting to become real known outside Spider-Man and the X-Men.

TV: DC has had it on lock for decades with their cartoons and live action shows (The Flash, Smallville, Arrow, etc). AOS is crap but Daredevil was great.

Video games: I think they're tied. Mainly because of the Arkham games and Injustice but outside of that not really much. Marvel has been real hit and miss with their games.

Comics: They've both been garbage for awhile. I was a huge comic fan in the 90's but stopped reading in 2001. I would occasionally look at some stuff but it was garbage. With Secret Wars and Convergence I thought Marvel and DC would get better but it's the same old crap with added bullshyt. Cyclops is Magneto lite, Iceman is gay, Batman got a b*stard child, and other BS:scust:

Movies: Marvel has been shining for almost ten years with their movies but IMO, with the exception of Winter Soldier, all their movies after 2012's Avengers have been average at best. DC has relied too much on Batman. Green Lantern was bad and even though it had its flaws, Man of Steel was a good movie. Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad are going to be lit!

I think both companies are evenly matched with their strengths and weaknesses.

dc just recently had good games breh and superman never had a good game

meanwhile, spiderman has multiple good video games, marvel vs capcom franchise, xmen legends --> marvel ultimate alliance, marvel had better games since genesis/snes era easily

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Its partly company branding and marketing and partly company and story direction.

DC has always held their main eggs in one basket tho, if you are not a fan of the Trinity, your favorite DC character will tend to take a backseat, meanwhile in Marvel its much more open domain for any character to get a top spot, Wolverine and Deadpool are prime examples of this.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Also DC was look at for lames and real nerds, the only think was cool was bat.

Marvel still comics still sell more.
Now they have movies and made the cookie cutter superhero more interesting hero than Man of Steel

They always had the juice, they character always seem real and divine. DC fans always seem bitter for some reason

Daps
Reppin
NYC
i understand the complaint that they relied too heavily on superman and batman but when you have jordan and pippen on the same squad:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
tell me what made batman tas so much better than superman.

it had the classic intro and it had the better score. beyond that i don't see what it had on superman. quality wise they were neck and neck.

(ALi)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is a bias here but let's be objective.
Let's start with movies: It's widely accepted Batman The Dark Knight is the best in the genre and the only comic book movie to feature an actor who won an oscar for his role in said movie.

Marvel has quantity here but the large majority of their movies are cliche, cookie cutter seen one you've seen them all with a few exceptions being X Men 2 and Captain America 2.

And after all the movies they have released none have yet to feature a classic villain who will be remembered... DC movies... Zod, Jack Nicholson/Heath Ledger Joker even as bad as The Dark Knight rises was Bane was a formidable villain.

Moving onto animation and this is a no contest:
Batman TAS
Superman TAS
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Young Justice

Animated movies... Bruh is this even a debate?
Mask of Phantasm
Flash Point
Red Hood
The Dark Knight Returns

Video games:
Batman Arkham series what has Marvel got that can compete with this.

TV shows:
Smallville
Arrow
Flash

Marvel has 1season of Daredevil and agents of shield which no one watches.

Movie wise you can say there is a debate to be had but any other form of media I don't read comic books I can't comment on that DC is winning from a longevity and quality standpoint.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
There is a bias here but let's be objective.
Let's start with movies: It's widely accepted Batman The Dark Knight is the best in the genre and the only comic book movie to feature an actor who won an oscar for his role in said movie.

Marvel has quantity here but the large majority of their movies are cliche, cookie cutter seen one you've seen them all with a few exceptions being X Men 2 and Captain America 2.

And after all the movies they have released none have yet to feature a classic villain who will be remembered... DC movies... Zod, Jack Nicholson/Heath Ledger Joker even as bad as The Dark Knight rises was Bane was a formidable villain.

Moving onto animation and this is a no contest:
Batman TAS
Superman TAS
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Young Justice

Animated movies... Bruh is this even a debate?
Mask of Phantasm
Flash Point
Red Hood
The Dark Knight Returns

Video games:
Batman Arkham series what has Marvel got that can compete with this.

TV shows:
Smallville
Arrow
Flash

Marvel has 1season of Daredevil and agents of shield which no one watches.

Movie wise you can say there is a debate to be had but any other form of media I don't read comic books I can't comment on that DC is winning from a longevity and quality standpoint.
Yes, lets' keep it objective. lol
Call the MCU what you want but it is winning right now, hanging on to DC's last success eight years ago as the comparison point is not objective.
You left off Jessica Jones and Peggy Carter on the TV side of things as well.

(ALi)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
DC has marvel beat overwhelmingly in quality Jessica Jones nor this show called Peggy make the least bit of difference.
it's actually very one sided with the exception of movies which Marvel flood the market with every summer, same formula with a different name.

Let's talk movie soundtracks no Marvel character has a distinguishing theme like Danny Elfman's Batman and the Supes theme.

DC animation alone is bettering any movie, show marvel related.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Should go without saying, but Batman TAS >>>

The X-Men cartoon is overrated and didn't hold up well at all.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
i always liked marvel more b/c of spiderman and xmen. they always had the cooler looking characters. I only like batman from dc.

DC has marvel beat overwhelmingly in quality Jessica Jones nor this show called Peggy make the least bit of difference.
it's actually very one sided with the exception of movies which Marvel flood the market with every summer, same formula with a different name.

Let's talk movie soundtracks no Marvel character has a distinguishing theme like Danny Elfman's Batman and the Supes theme.

DC animation alone is bettering any movie, show marvel related.
but nobody was talking about quality

they are talking about the general public and their labeling of what is the popular/cool franchise

so you just kinda made his point... even with the quality being better... more people know/flock to marvel movies/shows