How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I think it was just a stigma. I personally have always favored DC books over Marvel. But there was a point where Marvel was clearly pushed as "cool" to the fans. Their cartoons were better and they had the best trading cards. But DC never went bankrupt though.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Considering the source material Superman was pretty dope
superman was dope i didnt start liking it untill batman and superman show where theyd just play them back to back
i got batman and xmen as the top dawgs. then the rest of them dc joints being better than the rest of them marvel cartoons

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In your thread title you said pop culture. I can almost guarantee there have been more pop culture references to Batman and Superman than all of Marvels characters combined.

I'm not a huge comic head but through time it seems that Marvel are the ones that have flipped and flopped trying to figure whats cool and DC has been pretty true to its original concepts.

I also think DC had a better approach at story telling. One being not requiring you to buy some D rated heroes comic to progress in a main story-line just to boost its sells.

I think there are way more hands in the pot at Marvel though, which can lead to good and bad things.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
In terms of comics, DC was bodying Marvel's plot lines all through the '90s. No Man's Land was better than any Marvel story released at the time. They also had MUCH better shows in Batman TAS, Superman, and JL/JLU. Like mentioned earlier, Bats, Supes, and WW are still the most recognizable superheroes in the world.

If you want to talk their status on the big screen and in pop culture now, DC has fallen behind Marvel because of their weak leadership. Diane Nelson and Barry Meyer were averse to risk and wouldn't give the entire DC roster the shine it deserved and relied on Batman alone because the franchise sells. They refused to start a cinematic universe unless Nolan helmed it, as if the world began and ended with him.

Marvel succeeded because they were willing to take risks with characters who were previously B-grade like Iron Man, Thor, and the freaking Guardians of the Galaxy. DC gave one half-hearted shot with GL and ran. That's why Marvel is leading the charge for the genre.

It would've been a different story with Jim Lee at the helm. :francis:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I think it was just a stigma. I personally have always favored DC books over Marvel. But there was a point where Marvel was clearly pushed as "cool" to the fans. Their cartoons were better and they had the best trading cards. But DC never went bankrupt though.

People shyt on DC because they never gave up on their message on becoming better people. Marvel subconsciously made it cool for their heroes to have flaws, and just stay there. Today's society has people feeling :manny: when problems arise and feel cool as to let those problems rock, as long as it doesn't get TOO bad. People relate to that with Marvel, and the entertaining dialogue and powers that woos the lowest common denominator of people who hate DC's articulate stories and motivations of their characters.

ThaGlow

All Star
Daps
Comics wise, I mostly liked Marvel artists more. OK, so I really got into it when Jim Lee was on Xmen so...... Yeah. Also Madureira the goat.... Or you might hate him for the influx of manga styled artists.

Nah but also Xmen and Spidey just had more relatable personalities, relationships and situations.

Batman and superman was always more iconic, but that didn't mean jack to me.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
My dad said back in the day (60's/70's) said DC stans were looked at as nerds
I was more an 80s/90s guy and I hung out in a comic store and DC was just corny in my neighborhood. Batman got love but otherwise it was Marvel by a wide margin. There were people into both or any type of comic and collected everything but if people were exclusive to a company it was Marvel. Maybe it has to do with tim period and geography as far as popularity.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It's funny DC I think could of been marvel now they just dropped the ball. They had the Animation game on lock in the 90's - 00's and were making movies since shyt the 70's. I just shake my head at how badly they've managed all their IP's. Unlike Marvel, DC has the whole DC universe to explore. They are running TV right now but that's because Marvel made the decision to go to Netflix and embrace the future of premium television. Suicide Squad though is definitely a step in the right direction. Though the fact they got the popular Flash show and have signed a different guy to play him in the movies still shows they don't know what they are doing.

The reason Marvel took over can all be traced the Ironman. They had a great script. RDJ who was a great actor willing to do stupid superhero movies (when it wasn't a goldmine) because he was damaged goods. Last but not least they had continuity between movies which might as well of been PR on crack for future movie properties. After that it made Marvel attractive enough that Disney bought them. Then the House of Ideas is being backed by the greatest media machine Western civilization has ever known.

Basically Disney helped make Marvel into what it is now. It also finally got the Starwars stuff functional again. It's without a doubt the best ran major media company out there and buying properties to fix instead of starting from scratch was a great idea.

The only thing that takes away from it was they had sold the rights to their best properties years ago. It has to haunt Marvel/Disney that they have to do so much work with their IP's while Fox just trots out X-Men. Marvel built a fanbase for that IP in 90's with cartoons. Now Marvel/Disney has to take risks (that have worked so far) on properties like GOTG, Antman, BP, and Captain Marvel. shyt Fox won't even give them FF and all that property has done is cost Fox millions.

Last edited: