How did DC end up Larry Holmes in pop culture while Marvel ended up so popular? (no troll post)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
DC dropped the ball. It's as simple as that. They have the trinity and threw 2/3 of them to the bushes for decades. They tried multiple times with Batman, kept him relevant but nothing for Superman and Wonder Woman. They didn't even give the Superman cartoon a major push. They dropped the ball with Static, they constantly disrespect Dikk Grayson and even their own Aquaman....and they have a studio backing them. It has very little to do with their characters and everything to do with their lack of marketing.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
People shyt on DC because they never gave up on their message on becoming better people. Marvel subconsciously made it cool for their heroes to have flaws, and just stay there. Today's society has people feeling :manny: when problems arise and feel cool as to let those problems rock, as long as it doesn't get TOO bad. People relate to that with Marvel, and the entertaining dialogue and powers that woos the lowest common denominator of people who hate DC's articulate stories and motivations of their characters.
You have a point tbh

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
DC dropped the ball. It's as simple as that. They have the trinity and threw 2/3 of them to the bushes for decades. They tried multiple times with Batman, kept him relevant but nothing for Superman and Wonder Woman. They didn't even give the Superman cartoon a major push. They dropped the ball with Static, they constantly disrespect Dikk Grayson and even their own Aquaman....and they have a studio backing them. It has very little to do with their characters and everything to do with their lack of marketing.

Yeah, thank God for Bruce Timm. :whew:

They should have given Grayson his own animated series alongside Batman Beyond back in the day. Thank God they putting Green Arrow, The Flash, and so on the TV now. They picking up steam, but the public still refuses to see that progress because Marvel can do no wrong to them.

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
DC has basically mismanaged all their properties aside from Batman
When Marvel came into its own and made Spider-man and a lot of other popular characters DC just turned its nose up to their method and kept going as business as usual
Instead of making a proper JL show we got superfriends in the 70s
Instead of making a 90s JL tv show we got Batman
When we finally got a proper JL show it didn't last long enough
And that's how it went for DC
Flash forward to about 30 years later and DC is basically relying on Batman to stay relevant

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
Marvel found a plot that all their movies follow and stuck with it :yeshrug: A plot that ppl will go to the cinema and see over and over
DC didnt

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I'm not sure it did though

Because while DC is catching to Marvel's films if you look at the rest of pop culture they kinda neck and neck or even ahead when it comes to merchandise, clothing, video games, animated shows, animated movies, TV shows etc

If we talking movies its overealiance on always chasing 1989 and Burton until Nolan came through, but everywhere else? DC's on Marvel's leve.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I fell in love with Batman and all of his villains from Batman TAS. That's where it all started...I heard about the backbreaking storyline with Bane and the Death of Superman but REALLY it was the genius of Batman TAS that opened my eyes to everything on DC after the original Batman movie and Christopher Reeves as Superman. But the X-Men got SO HUGE heading into the 90s that it took over everything. They're comics were selling in the millions..X-Men #1 from Chris Claremont and Jim Lee sold 8 million last I checked and is without a doubt the highest selling comic ever. Spider Man was doing well with the McFarlane cover when Spider-Man #1 came out and it did one million. DC was behind that stuff for a long time...the X-Men cartoon became legendary..as did Batman TAS. But the rest of the media? Marvel kept coming out looking better until the recent great string of DC animated movies.

I've gotten off track with monthly comics but when New DC launched, I was reading Batgirl, Batman, and Batwoman every month. Wonder Woman too. I liked the female heroes...it was long overdue I caught up with a few after reading Witchblade for as long as I did.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
You have a point tbh
Superman fukkING SUCKS..his villains aren't any competition and he's never wrong. They even made Captain America wrong at the end of Civil War:laugh: DC won't do that..I saw Superman SON Darkseid when he blasted his eye beams back into his eyes and I was ROLLING. I was like "WTF"..they would NEVER have Silver Surfer do that to Thanos:laugh:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
You have a point tbh

People always go :ohhh: when I point out that DC wants you to strive to be better people. Marvel wants their people flawed, and staying there. Problem is, going through the same problems over and over again just pisses people off. How many times do we hear of Peter Parker and his financial woes? How many times we hear of Wolverine and his memory loss? It would make for a great origin story, but to be going through that for 10 plus years after your superhero career began, just gets a Lil tiring. :ld:

Even Batman and his loss of his parents, he becomes something greater. He upholds justice for everyone else. He never makes excuses for his shortcomings. He understands, eventually, of having a team in Gotham (Bat family) and worldwide (Justice League). That's the improvements that he and other DC characters do as time goes on. I only get that sense from Captain America, Panther, and Cyclops and maybe even Thor from Marvel.

I read comics to escape and to be inspired to a certain extent. NOT TO BE REMINDED OF REALITY AND FEELING HOPELESS.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
What is going on in here :what:

Batman: The Animated Series is the greatest cartoon of ALL TIME :what:

OF ALL TIME :what:

I'm looking at some of these responses like :dwillhuh: right now. BTAS is constantly ranked with Looney Tunes and The Simpsons as one of the greatest cartoons of all time.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Movies: Marvel. No question there. And this is the category where a lot of people put there hat in and point to the most.
Television: DC. I think AOS is hit or miss, haven't seen much of Peggy Carter, but Marvel came back hard with Daredevil. Still need to check out Jessica Jones.
Animation: DC. I think a lot of the stories in the DCAU could rival the Marvel movies in terms of quality.
Comics: This one is just to close to call. I have a lot of favorite characters and favorite stories on both sides.
Games: Marvel had Ultimate Alliance but DC came back with the Arkham and LEGO games. Again, it's to close to call.

At the end of the day: I love both. I see a lot of fans investing in either side like they've got a true stake in this feud or it's a football rivalry or something. I'm not about that though. I want both sides to succeed and keep dropping piff.

Last edited: