How come the hood doesn't recognize the brillance of The Godfather 1 and 2?

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
U don't see enough of Young Vito's motivation? His parents and brothers were murdered like animals by the local crime organization and they picked on his best friend's family in NY..he had no one to run to. He reacted like anyone would who won't take a bully's shyt for too much longer. It's kind of very simple really to comprehend why he did what he did..when you get into the variables of how far he went as he kept getting more powerful, the greed and the money factor in as well.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Godfather 1 and 2 are kind of like The Roots to me. I appreciate the artistry and the technical abilities that went in to it. But not something I want to watch that often or listen to that often. I just find myself wanting the ignorance of a Scarface or a Lil Wayne.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There is no gangster movie that compares to The Godfather 1 and 2.
Those two movies are among the top 10 movies in history...not just "gangster" movies.
You could argue that virtually all modern family dramas are derived from The Godfather saga.
Whenever someone tries to say that Al Pacino's best movie is Carlito's Way or Scarface, I can't even believe it. :dahell:

Those are probably his two most low brow movies.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
U don't see enough of Young Vito's motivation? His parents and brothers were murdered like animals by the local crime organization and they picked on his best friend's family in NY..he had no one to run to. He reacted like anyone would who won't take a bully's shyt for too much longer. It's kind of very simple really to comprehend why he did what he did..when you get into the variables of how far he went as he kept getting more powerful, the greed and the money factor in as well.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I get the factors that push him into a life of crime. You are right about those. I don't really get how vito andolini becomes Don Corleone (this is what the movie is trying to show us). What does he experience that make him become the godfather? When does he learn the lessons about power and favors and having people in his pocket?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I get the factors that push him into a life of crime. You are right about those. I don't really get how vito andolini becomes Don Corleone (this is what the movie is trying to show us). What does he experience that make him become the godfather? When does he learn the lessons about power and favors and having people in his pocket?
Vito becomes the Godfather after he kills Don Fanucci.
Not exactly after that...the movie doesn't go into it much. But you can assume it's a gradual progression after that as people viewed killing Fanucci as a "favor".

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't know why it doesn't get the love in the hood that Scarface gets because they both are superior to Scarface by leaps and bounds. Ultimately, I think Scarface is easier to digest while both Godfather flicks have a lot going on thematically, character wise and a lot of nuance. It started as a B movie for Paramount and it became something a lot more than that. The Godfather is my favorite flick of all time so I will always ride for it but trust me, it's tough being black and telling people you don't like Scarface. They give you the :stopitslime:. It's a great performance surrounded by a mediocre flick. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. I don't think it comes down to relating as much as it comes down to accessibility. The FIRST thing I always hear about The Godfather 1 and 2 when talking to someone about it, is the length. People who haven't seen it scoff at the length immediately. For some reasons, in general, it seems like we have terrible attention spans:manny:

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
His motivation(other than providing for his family) is self-determinism. It was explained in the first film.
And I refused - to be a fool - dancing on the string, held by all those bigshots

What is the symbol of The Godfather saga?
puppet.jpg
Vito didn't want to do the dancing, he wanted to pull the strings. And he wanted the same for Michael.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
My views are this.

Godfather: It's all about the true psychology how the Mafia worked. No one needed to be killed, but all business was on the downlow. Vito was a wise Don, knowing how the expanding Drug racket would get him more money, but knew it came with a whole slew of problems. The picture of the poster is true, the hand pulling the strings. When it came time to kill somebody, it had to be done, because no other options were available.

Scarface: All about the excess of a drug dealer who made it big, but his cocaine habit caused his downfall. He wanted it all, and when it came time to killing for Sosa, he refused to do it; screwing over Sosa.

Goodfellas: Probably the most trill mob movie ever. It showed how the Mafia worked, once again by keeping your mouth shut. Also it showed how you should never lose your cool, and respect the cops; because you can buy them. Joe Pesci's character was a good example why you should always keep a cool head. He killed a made man before he was made, which was a huge sign of disrespect. So for him to get executed from behind was not just classic, but it went to show that if you disrespected somebody, you get it right back.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Brehs, the scene that gets me every single time is when Vito gets fired from the grocery shop. :to:

You see the old man has tears in his eyes, forced to fire a kid he looked after and considered like a son. And instead of being upset or even sad Vito thanks him and assures him he will be repaid. And when the old man runs after Vito in the street with the groceries.:wow::to:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Brehs, the scene that gets me every single time is when Vito gets fired from the grocery shop. :to:

You see the old man has tears in his eyes, forced to fire a kid he looked after and considered like a son. And instead of being upset or even sad Vito thanks him and assures him he will be repaid. And when the old man runs after Vito in the street with the groceries.:wow::to:
That's actually a very good scene because it shows how humble and respectful Vito was. He refused the free groceries as well. Its the turning point for him he just doesn't know it until he meets Clemenza.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
For as popular as mafia flicks are among us nikkas I hardly ever meet a nikka who bigs up The Godfather 1 and 2. nikkas will talk all day everyday about Scarface, Carlito's Way (I do like this one too) Goodfellas(one of my favorites) but how home nikkas don't quote or reference The Godfather 1 and 2 more? As popular as The Godfather first two movies I hardly ever hear a nikka I know quote it or refer back to it but nikkas I know wil be quick to go back to Scarface, Carlito's Way, Goodfellas etc.. Whats up with that?
Cuz the Godfather didn't fukk with no nikkaz, at least in Goodfellas they had stacks :manny:

Daps
Vito becomes the Godfather after he kills Don Fanucci.
Not exactly after that...the movie doesn't go into it much. But you can assume it's a gradual progression after that as people viewed killing Fanucci as a "favor".

I think that's the gripe...well at least it's mine.

I would've liked to have seen more of Vito's story.

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
too slow paced, but definitely a good flick if u got the time and dont have adhd