How come the hood doesn't recognize the brillance of The Godfather 1 and 2?

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
The God's are much respected but there are people who don't realize the technical mastery of those films. They are two busy distracted by the sillyness of lesser quality films. Scarface is a classic but just not on a level touching the epicness of the first two godfathers and even goodfellas which is not far behind.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
The Godfather series is far more complex thematically. Most gangster movies are about greed: Paid in Full, Scarface, Goodfellas, even Carlito's Way(though Kleinfeld is the greedy one, not Carlito). They are cautionary tales of people getting to greedy, flying to close to the sun and crashing down.

The Godfather saga(including the book) has the greed element, but they have much more on top of that. It's not really part of the gangster genre, per se. It's about the dark side of emigration(immigration?) and survival, and about the whole Italian experience, much like Taylor Caldwell's "Captains and Kings" is about the Irish version of the same things.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I'd take Goodfellas over them

In a different context, one could argue Goodfellas is as good as the Godfather movies and the way Goodfellas was shot by Martin was legendary and ahead of it's time but Godfather I and II is practically cinematic perfection. From top to bottom..Brando's performance...Pacino went from being a soldier to having one of the most soul twisting turnarounds in history when his father got shot down like an animal..the greatness of Sonny Corleone(nygga bit his fingers to whoop his ass in that street:laugh:)...Talia from Rocky being the wimpering sister who played the perfect spoiled victim...the scenes in Italy with Michael using gangster methods to push a meet and greet with Apollinia..Carlo FINALLY being exposed for the coward he was at the end. This was perfection to me. I can look at the Godfather over and over again until I'm buried. The genius of the writing, the set ups, and the overall message of being loyal to family no matter how criminal and twisted the whole world they live in requires them to be.

Fredo's speech in Godfather II after being exposed...I don't know how many times I've watched that scene. A jealous older brother going awry because his younger brother was hand chosen by his father ahead of him. It's so tragic.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
was just about to come in and say, they're too long for the ADD generation. I've watched both several times, edited and unedited. Like them way better than Scarface even tho the hood worships Scarface.

Daps
In a different context, one could argue Goodfellas is as good as the Godfather movies and the way Goodfellas was shot by Martin was legendary and ahead of it's time but Godfather I and II is practically cinematic perfection. From top to bottom..Brando's performance...Pacino went from being a soldier to having one of the most soul twisting turnarounds in history when his father got shot down like an animal..the greatness of Sonny Corleone(nygga bit his fingers to whoop his ass in that street:laugh:)...Talia from Rocky being the wimpering sister who played the perfect spoiled victim...the scenes in Italy with Michael using gangster methods to push a meet and greet with Apollinia..Carlo FINALLY being exposed for the coward he was at the end. This was perfection to me. I can look at the Godfather over and over again until I'm buried. The genius of the writing, the set ups, and the overall message of being loyal to family no matter how criminal and twisted the whole world they live in requires them to be.

Fredo's speech in Godfather II after being exposed...I don't know how many times I've watched that scene. A jealous older brother going awry because his younger brother was hand chosen by his father ahead of him. It's so tragic.

They're great films, no doubt, I completely understand why some think they're better than Goodfellas, I just don't.

Mr.Black

An Honest Man
Daps
fukk all them guido flicks, bunch of balding fat italian fukks killing each other

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
GOD father part 1-2 are def GOAT

me and my wife can watch those movies all the way through

"I know it was you Fredo, you broke my heart...you broke my heart." :ohlawd:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just watched GF2 for probably the 15th time and found it to be lacking. The acting is brilliant but both stories are pretty confused. I don't think we see enough of Young Vito's motivation and the plot during Michael's US takeover is pretty flat. I can safely say I prefer GF1 now.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I just watched GF2 for probably the 15th time and found it to be lacking. The acting is brilliant but both stories are pretty confused. I don't think we see enough of Young Vito's motivation and the plot during Michael's US takeover is pretty flat. I can safely say I prefer GF1 now.
My main problem with part 2 is plot holes that seem to be intentionally placed in the film. I don't have an issue with Vitos story however. I've always preferred part 1 tho.