How come the hood doesn't recognize the brillance of The Godfather 1 and 2?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Scarface is set in the 80's yet Future in 2013 or 2012 making songs bout him still

Carlito's Way was based in the late 70's yet nikkas 20ish still reference this movie

Goodfellas is based in the 50's unto the 80's and yet it gets embraced

So that time era defense aint a good arguement
Doesn't matter when they're set, it's when they came out. Carlito's Way and Scarface came out in the early 90's. Scarface came out in the early 80's. Those movies are hood staples because they're hip hop staples. Look at all of the movies that are hood staples: they also are heavily mentioned in rap records. And the vast majority of them came out in an era of hip hop that influenced everything after. Scarface, despite coming out in hip hop's infancy (so to speak) is beloved because it's the premiere coke dealing movie of all time. The first two Gofathers came out too early for the hood to attach to them (via hip hop).

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
not sure but in reality scarface doesn't hold a candle to either of the godfathers or carlito's way. it's probably the worst movie out of every one mentioned(i think it's a great movie still don't get me wrong), yet it gets talked about the most. i think people can just relate to having nothing and then getting a piece of the pie. the godather 2 is the best crime related movie ever released(possibly best movie period) you get a prequel and a sequel all in one. it was just amazing film work.

Agree with everything.

Except for Scarface. I think it's a pretty mediocre movie all things considered.

But yea, The Godfather II is one of the 10 best films ever imo. And it's predecessor is probably Top 20.

Daps
Im just asking why dont they embrace like Goodfellas or Scarface. Now Goodfellas is a classic and one of favorites and it lives up to it's hype but Scarface? Nope

I just don't ynderstand why more nikkas dont refernce The Godfathr like they do Scarface etc

Because they're old, breh. That's the answer, and it's been supplied

Scarface is a hip hop classic that's why that still gets referenced today, but the Godfather's are just before dude's times. They're still consider all time great movies, even in the hood.

Walkman

Banned
Daps
Doesn't matter when they're set, it's when they came out. Carlito's Way and Scarface came out in the early 90's. Scarface came out in the early 80's. Those movies are hood staples because they're hip hop staples. Look at all of the movies that are hood staples: they also are heavily mentioned in rap records. And the vast majority of them came out in an era of hip hop that influenced everything after. Scarface, despite coming out in hip hop's infancy (so to speak) is beloved because it's the premiere coke dealing movie of all time. The first two Gofathers came out too early for the hood to attach to them (via hip hop).

Wow good point. But at the same time what made those late 60's and early 70's babies sample those 70's Soul and Funk records but not something so epic as The godfather which came out in the early 70s. I know nikkas moms and pops as fukking with these movies heavily. The Godfather is the ultimate mafia movie flick.

Walkman

Banned
Daps
People who group movies like Scarface and The Godfather together are hilarious.

Couldn't be more different or of different quality.

I agree but I wasnt grouping them together

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I agree but I wasnt grouping them together

I know, it was just a general comment.

But people do this...a lot. "I like movie like Scarface and The Godfather" :beli:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
And that's why you can't trust the opinion of what's propped on here...lol@Godfather being long paced. that movie goes by fast as fukk. Why? Because the story is engaging and timeless..you can watch that thing 5x and you'll notice something with each viewing. That Italian girl Michael married in Italy while in hiding was just 17 during that scene...lol. That's a good deal to me:laugh:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
They're good movies but they drag on.

I disagree. I actually found myself stopping both of The Godfather movies and Goodfellas because I didn't want them to end. Thoroughly, thoroughly entertaining films. Time flies when I watch those films. Scarface? It's alright. I do think it's a bit overrated. If Pacino hadn't been in that movie, we wouldn't even be talking about it today.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Snoop made an album Tha Doggfather. A bunch of rappers quote the godfather.