How come MK got a black man with God Like Powers but Street Fighters best black representation is a Dancehall caricature?

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps

Yea thanks for letting me know that you don’t. Let me break this down for you. Jax is basically every stereotypical black military figure in movies mainly from the 80s. Louis Gossett complete with cigar chomping and Carl Weathers(who they even gave jax a skin based on) I would not at all be shocked if he was originally based of Booker T OG gimmick since jax literally looks like him. It’s just hilarious MK stans try to clown other IPs for stereotyping and :mjpls: like they don’t do the same thing. Let’s not forget for years they’ve been race swapping Raiden, Jade, and Tonya

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
How many black fighting game cyborgs do you know?
other than jax in MK, cyborg in injustice.

since most fighting games are japanese, i would expect most black cyborg/electricity cliches to be in the few american made fighting games. even the japanese made marvel vs capcom series lightning user storm is based on american comics, so it's more a commentary on american culture than it is on fighting games, per se

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
other than jax in MK, cyborg in injustice.

since most fighting games are japanese, i would expect most black cyborg/electricity cliches to be in the few american made fighting games. even the japanese made marvel vs capcom series lightning user storm is based on american comics, so it's more a commentary on american culture than it is on fighting games, per se

A breh is making a indie fighter and even the protagonist has electric powers.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A breh is making a indie fighter and even the protagonist has electric powers.

:jbhmm:If you are going to have a element superpower electric is the best one it can do damn near any thing:manny:

BlaccSunrise

Superstar
Daps
mk1-tanya.png
Raw, no regret.

KingsnBucs1987

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indianapolis
shyt I know people have tripped about Dee Jay getting the Kilmonger twists, but shyt isn't this like the 3rd different hairstyle he has just in this game, seems like they've had some variety at least and wouldnt be surprised if he ends up witj more by the end of the game.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Then stop being lazy. Do your research talk to black Martial artists or writers. It's not hard if you actually try. They just want to do things with no effort and get no backlash for it.
Black people damn near don't exist in that country. They are far under 1% of the population. If the people in question aren't actually involved with the making of the product just speaking to someone isn't going amount to much. Picking someone's brain doesn't make you qualify for much.
I mean if you want to create accurate characters you really need those sorts of people in the writing room. Have you seen how much of anime / video games portray female character? They usually are some otaku's fantasy of how a woman should act. It's not only black characters that get poor representation.

I guess you call it lazy. I call it being a product of who made the media. You likely have a bunch of indigenous nerdy introverted people writing these games so the character don't reflect worldly realism. If a incel wrote a romance novel it wouldn't be wild to expect it to be filled with misogyny. It being that is a product of who made it rather than laziness.
There's an entire black owned anime studio out there, hire them as consultants.
I still call it laziness, you know women, black people ect exist. So maybe pick their brains a bit? It's not really that hard to fathom.

The fallacy is that there's some encrypted secret sauce formula for creating a "respectable" black character. That's actually the trap that the built in excuses come from. Americans and Brits in particular don't have to be race specific and rarely are. It's just a personal choice to make them white. i.e. If they know enough to make Luke a UFC-inspired American with take downs, ground and pounds, etc, then they know who Jon Jones is.

Similarly, Guile and Cammy are both cracka ass crackas but their race is irrelevant to their character makeup. All that matters is Guile is an American air force guy who dresses like one, and Cammy is a British M16 agent, fan service outfit aside. Same with Ken. They design them to be good looking heroic white folk with non-exaggerated facial features bc they're not fukking stupid.

Just like they know damn well who Mohammad Ali is but chose the M. Tyson "Balrog" design and background. Ultimately, they're free to include whatever characters they want in their game, just like we're free to not buy that bullshyt, so that's always my stance. But it's laughable to cape for them like they don't know what they're doing.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug: Fighting games is the one gaming category. With a lot of dope black characters. As for street fighter’s black representation. There’s more hits than misses in my opinion.

Hits
  1. Sean
  2. Balrog
  3. Elena
  4. Kimberly
  5. Dudley
  6. Dee Jay
Misses
  1. Birdie-what was they thinking

Last edited:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I 100% understand what OP is saying
We clearly need Dudley back
Sip some tea in between hitting Cross Counters and toss a single rose onto gutter trash as your private helicopter arrives

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
maxresdefault.jpg

In 1998, Eddie's hair was era appropriate as dudes with braids were cool back then.

maxresdefault.jpg

This kinda confusing because you saying Eddie is good because people were wearing that hairstyle back then. But y’all saying the low sides dred top thing that’s being used now is bad but I see people with that style EVERYWHERE in Atlanta.

Last edited:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
:yeshrug: Fighting games is the one gaming category. With a lot of dope black characters. As for street fighter’s black representation. There’s more hits than misses in my opinion.

Hits
  1. Sean
  2. Balrog
  3. Elena
  4. Kimberly
  5. Dudley
  6. Dee Jay
Misses
  1. Birdie-what was they thinking

And you know what netherealm characters don’t have, agency. Outside of saving the world they do nothing.

Jax = nikka hasn’t chased Kano since MK3
Jacqui = military kid that’s it
Jade = last we saw her she only wanted to get dikked down
Tanya = still only wants to pussied up by mileena
Kai = irrelevant
Cyrax = Robo Slave
Geras = Golem Slave
Darrius = probably the one with any agency or motivation now just a Smash Bros Trophy assist

Netherrealm may good designers but when it comes to giving characters life they suck. Compare that to just Dudley:

Characteristics​

Height​

6'1" (185 cm)[1][2]

Weight​

222½ lbs (101 kg)[1][2]

Eye color​

Blue

Hair color​

Black

Blood type​

B[1][2]

Measurements​

B160/W90/H100[1]

Personal​

First Game​

Street Fighter III: New Generation

Birthdate​

January 27[1][2]

Birthplace​

United Kingdom England[1][2]

Fighting style​

Boxing[1][2]

Personality (summarized)​

Refined, well-mannered, fair

Likes​

Tea, roses[1][2], being a gentleman, his father's antique Jaguar, his friend Elena(SFxTK)

Dislikes​

Uncivilized behavior[1][2], fighting dirty, Balrog

Occupation​

Professional Boxer/Socialite

Rival(s)​

Balrog (SSFIV), Hugo (SFIII: 2nd Impact), Ryu (SFIII: 3rd Strike) (friendly), Lei, Christie(SFxTK)

Skills​

Pottery appraisal[1], gardening[2]

Moveset​

Jet Upper, Machinegun Blow, Duck (with Straightand Uppercut), Cross Counter, Short Swing Blow, Thunderbolt, Rocket Upper, Rolling Thunder, Corkscrew Blow (SFIII), Corkscrew Cross (SSFIV)

Alignment​

Good

Status​

Alive

Relationship​

Father

More character in that summary than all of netherrealm combined. The was over 20 years ago now Capcom just goes deeper.