How come MK got a black man with God Like Powers but Street Fighters best black representation is a Dancehall caricature?

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:ufdup: I don’t feel like doing it lol. But we should make a thread/poll. To vote who’s the greatest black fighting game character.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Their native character is about as native as they come so that’s inaccurate

We wasn’t on that in the 90’s
full

KingsnBucs1987

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indianapolis
:yeshrug: Fighting games is the one gaming category. With a lot of dope black characters. As for street fighter’s black representation. There’s more hits than misses in my opinion.

Hits
  1. Sean
  2. Balrog
  3. Elena
  4. Kimberly
  5. Dudley
  6. Dee Jay
Misses
  1. Birdie-what was they thinking
Still shytty they ended up changing King Cobra into Rufus, his character style with that play style would of been :ohhh: :blessed:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
:jbhmm: This is more background than character arc but :manny:

Thanks for half assedly replying to him breh.
You never asked a question you made a statement. Are you gonna ask me a question or just avoid mine?:sas2:

Background
Dudley is an English boxer who was born into a wealthy English family. His father was a highly-paid former athlete who turned successful businessman, adding more to his already vast wealth. From the time he was a little boy, Dudley wanted to be a fighter, but his family told him he was too small to compete. Later, his father lost his business and the family fortune. The losses prompted Dudley to take up professional boxing to earn back lost assets. Although told that he was a bit small to compete in heavyweight divisions, this prompted Dudley to train into a formidable boxer both in speed and skill, and was successful in bringing his family back to affluence.[5]
Despite everything that has happened, Dudley still boxes, seeking perfection both in and out of the ring, and always behaving as an impeccable gentleman.

Super Street Fighter IV

Having won some boxing title previously (Zangief's win quote to him is that it was an honor to fight "the boxing champ"; Balrog also calls him the "British champ", albeit grudgingly), Dudley is invited to participate in S.I.N's tournament. Although he finds the invitation to be lacking in "social graces", he accepts for two reasons: to look for suitable floral additions to his garden and to take his mind off of his father's car, which is missing (presumably repossessed and/or purchased by Gill).[6] After the tournament, Dudley returns home empty handed but is pleased to suddenly find a wild rose in his garden.

Street Fighter III: New Generation/2nd Impact

When Dudley finally discovers who purchased his father's prized Jaguar, he enters the buyer's tournament to get it back. Although he didn't win the third World Warrior tournament, Gill was impressed enough to give the Jaguar back, ordering Kolin to give the car keys to Dudley.

3rd Strike

Dudley has been knighted, receiving the honorary title of "Sir" after making a comeback and winning the championship title. He was then invited into a contest that will be held in the presence of the royal family. He decides to travel the world and improve himself before the day of the match. Dudley has also a great interest in his gardens where he tends some roses, occasionally losing track of time or getting lost, as shown in his 3rd Strike ending.

Street Fighter 6

Dudley and his butler Mr. Gotch made a cameo during Cammy's World Tour scene where she takes Decapre for lunch.

A black man who

- sets out to restore his family’s name & fortune.

- Achieves it to become world champion despite his physical stature

- Goes on a journey to reclaim his father’s prized

- At a impasse in his search and becomes disillusioned, so he takes up horticulture FUKKIN horticulture and enters a tournament for sport to keep his mental health up

- Discovers a god owns his fathers car and beats his ass to get it back. Said god hands him the keys.

- Reinvigorated he returns to boxing and is dubbed a knight

- Now he enjoys his life of horticulture and PAWGing

That’s full on narrative with calls to action and discovery, all undertaken by the character not the story. What has Jax done of his own volition as a self acting character in the netherrealm era?

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
This kinda confusing because you saying Eddie is good because people were wearing that hairstyle back then. But y’all saying the low sides dred top thing that’s being used now is bad but I see people with that style EVERYWHERE in Atlanta.
Eddie Gordo was a unique character sporting a popular do of the 90s. He was the only one for years. Now it's just a stereotype turned meme spanning the entire realm of animation. Within games its probably now just a stock asset of a game engine. Below are two popular hairstyle of the late 90s thru early 2000s. I don't see either on modern game characters or even within the character creator systems today. Yet they were there during the Xbox 360/PS3 era.

ii07pxxenbn11.jpg
0768d4793e5d769203f9b32550181f59.jpg

Ever since NBA2K added Allen Iverson style cornrows as an option in their player creator during the Dreamcast era, it's remained a part of every player creation tool ever since. Even Hogwarts Legacy has em. Yet, after 5 decades of popularity, I cant think of nor remember a black game character or animated character with brush waves. As @Gizmo_Duck showed us, its not just limited to Black characters, they do with Asians as well. But, this isn't a new complaint.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Eddie Gordo was a unique character sporting a popular do of the 90s. He was the only one for years. Now it's just a stereotype turned meme spanning the entire realm of animation. Within games its probably now just a stock asset of a game engine. Below are two popular hairstyle of the late 90s thru early 2000s. I don't see either on modern game characters or even within the character creator systems today. Yet they were there during the Xbox 360/PS3 era.

ii07pxxenbn11.jpg
0768d4793e5d769203f9b32550181f59.jpg

Ever since NBA2K added Allen Iverson style cornrows as an option in their player creator during the Dreamcast era, it's remained a part of every player creation tool ever since. Even Hogwarts Legacy has em. Yet, after 5 decades of popularity, I cant think of nor remember a black game character or animated character with brush waves. As @Gizmo_Duck showed us, its not just limited to Black characters, they do with Asians as well. But, this isn't a new complaint.

You used an example of hairstyles people aren’t wearing anymore and them not being in create a character systems today when I called out that yes plenty of black men are still wearing the styles y’all are saying are outdated.

Is it because I’m in Atlanta? I see the braids, short sides with locs, the short sides with sponge top, etc…..

It seems the primary complaint is not having the 360 waves option. Which you gotta admit, would be very difficult to pull off without looking comical, think the Harry Osborn meme.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
You used an example of hairstyles people aren’t wearing anymore and them not being in create a character systems today when I called out that yes plenty of black men are still wearing the styles y’all are saying are outdated.

Is it because I’m in Atlanta? I see the braids, short sides with locs, the short sides with sponge top, etc…..

It seems the primary complaint is not having the 360 waves option. Which you gotta admit, would be very difficult to pull off without looking comical, think the Harry Osborn meme.
You missed my point. White characters aren't limited to meme style haircuts. They move the new styles in and phase the outdated one out. Not so with Black characters. Short sides with tied locs have become the predominant Black hairstyle represented in games and animation, yet brush waves can't be found, and have been popular for 5 damn decades. I'm not just talking about 360 waves, but a standard fade with brush waves up top. So why the popularity of tied locs with short sides? They aren't that popular in the Northeast. They didn't stand out when I visited Detroit, last year. Is Atlanta a hotbed for game development and animation? Seriously, think about it.

Last edited: