How come Batman can't be black?

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's why Will Smith was NEVER going to take the roles of Superman and Captain America despite them being offered to him by studios. Either make a new black character and put him in with the more popular one's or update and redesign the one's that are already there.
He took on the new superhero Hancock, an alcoholic that needed a white man to fix him, only to reveal he was in love with his white wife, who he became weak when he got close to her. :beli:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and of course DC deleted that shyt from the boards. That's another reason why I can't fukk with their shyt look at what they wanted to do to John Stewart that made Joshua Hale Fialkov quit they don't respect black characters. Cyborg is the only JL member without a book its retarded. The most we even know about him in the New 52 was the shyt that made him Cyborg after that nothing. They could have handled that Static book better too

They don't do jack shyt with Cyborg in Justice League, he's a straight up Token in that book. When you really think about it he's just a glorified Chauffeur and Bat-computer. He got way more character development when he was a Titan. That nikka is just there.

The crazy thing is you'll see white DC fanboys try and argue that Cyborg has been made into a major character in DC comics. When people point out how shytty DC is a treating black characters they're quick to say "Well, Cyborg has been given a huge push and is a major player now". :stopitslime:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A black captain america:leon:...people like to pretend race don't matter but how would y'all really feel about them doing tuskegee style experiments on a black man to make him a "super soldier" and defending America:usure:...takes on a whole new disgusting or c00nish context.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but they DID actually do a story about a Black Captain America that was inspired by the Tuskegee experiments.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i know I nikka when I see one, I'm sorry
The Harvey Dent character model was based off Billy Dee Williams
the Lex Luthor character model is the exact same only he doesn't have any hair
koreans that don't even speak english designed the characters fukk what the guy has to say
he didn't draw them
Luthor is based on Telly Savalas

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
:to: damn I really appreciate the heat being dropped in this thread

a lot of knowledge. a lot of gems.

I personally don't see how you can raise demand if future generations are focused on sports games and fps only. I mean @A Man Called Hawk , if you were to run a poll of this forum, how many people do you think can name more than 2 black comic book characters? And we (those of us that use the internet religiously) are the most well versed folks when it comes to entertainment. So imagine how ignorant the general population is.

We should be trying to figure out how to ignite curiosity in younger kids.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Will Smith was offered Superman (this was after Nic Cage walked away from the project in the late 90s) but turned it down because he knew it was fukking stupid for Superman to be played by a black guy.

You might be able to get away with it using some second or third string superhero (like Nick Fury, who was based on Sam L. Jackson in the Ultimate Universe anyway) but Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. are too recognizable to do this to. If a studio did it, they'd only be doing it for controversy anyway and it would more than likely backfire.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Will Smith was offered Superman (this was after Nic Cage walked away from the project in the late 90s) but turned it down because he knew it was fukking stupid for Superman to be played by a black guy.

You might be able to get away with it using some second or third string superhero (like Nick Fury, who was based on Sam L. Jackson in the Ultimate Universe anyway) but Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. are too recognizable to do this to. If a studio did it, they'd only be doing it for controversy anyway and it would more than likely backfire.
Smith questioned playing the main character in Wild Wild West because in the tv series he was played by a white guy.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can't tell if you're joking or not, but they DID actually do a story about a Black Captain America that was inspired by the Tuskegee experiments.

I wuznt joking,sounds horrible and was probaly a best seller:snoop:...I don't know the storyline but just the idea of them experimenting on some poor brutha,injecting him with shyt to be a super soldier for america sounds like bad taste,and doesn't sound like a movie I would have anything other than the :wtb: face the whole time

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wuznt joking,sounds horrible and was probaly a best seller:snoop:...I don't know the storyline but just the idea of them experimenting on some poor brutha,injecting him with shyt to be a super soldier for america sounds like bad taste,and doesn't sound like a movie I would have anything other than the :wtb: face the whole time

"Truth: Red White & Black" is actually one of the better comic book stories written during the past decade.

It wasn't some happy go lucky tale of about a black man who became Captain America. It was a story about how the United States Government exploited and abused a group of black soldiers and how they covered it up from the public. Best way I can describe is a cross between Captain America, Rosewood, and Schindlers List.

It's a comic book mini series that I HIGHLY recommend, but unfortunately the book is out of print.

When it debuted white fanboys were on their typical bullshyt, but then reviewers started reading the book and had to recant because it was actually a great story. It didn't sell all that well because many white readers refused to give the book a chance.

*edit*

The comic also has one of my all time favorite splash pages. I'm not going to post in here for fear of spoiling for those who haven't read it but it's a pretty powerful image by the time you get to that point of the story.

I can't recommend it enough, if you can find it online you should read it.

Last edited: