How come Batman can't be black?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i remember when he was on justice league. How many white fans complied when he added like 3 black characters to the team and then the powers that be cut his run on it short.

The thing was it wasn't even his decision to add those characters. He said in interviews before the first issue shipped that he had no say over who was going to be on the roster.

His run was cut short because he was the FIRST to deal with all the editorial bullshyt that DC is well known for right now. He was talking to fans on DC's board and telling them about the creative process, he wasn't in any way shytting on DC or saying anything negative about them, he was just explaining why he couldn't use certain characters and why certain story elements didn't make sense (DC fukked up a couple of his stories AFTER the art had been drawn), fans realized how fukked up DC editorial was and they fired him. His relationship with DC was contentious to the end (except when it came to their animation division).

Matter of fact here's a comic someone made about his dealings with DC editorial:

2009-06-16_cc_072.gif

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
I really can't think of a ton of instances where they've even done that though...

Idris Elba as Heimdall

Laurence Fishburne as Perry White

Denzel Washington's character in 2 Guns

Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. There might actually be more instance with them turning white characters black, but you tend to hear MUCh more complaints white characters being turned black.

*edit*

I didn't mention Sam Jackson as Nick Fury because he isn't based on the comic book version he's portraying.

Idris could have played a bigger character IMO. I think marvel even know this showing him in the movie trailer and shyt when he has such a little role

Nobody even reads 2 guns lol so nobody cares

Michael Clarke Duncan was great tho

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
The thing was it wasn't even his decision to add those characters. He said in interviews before the first issue shipped that he had no say over who was going to be on the roster.

His run was cut short because he was the FIRST to deal with all the editorial bullshyt that DC is well known for right now. He was talking to fans on DC's board and telling them about the creative process, he wasn't in any way shytting on DC or saying anything negative about them, he was just explaining why he couldn't use certain characters and why certain story elements didn't make sense (DC fukked up a couple of his stories AFTER the art had been drawn), fans realized how fukked up DC editorial was and they fired him. His relationship with DC was contentious to the end (except when it came to their animation division).

Matter of fact here's a comic someone made about his dealings with DC editorial:

2009-06-16_cc_072.gif

i was going off what i reading on CBR and newsarama at the time. didn't know he was talking to people on his message board.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i was going off what i reading on CBR and newsarama at the time. didn't know he was talking to people on his message board.

Nah, it wasn't on his message Board, it was on DC's message board. Other creators have done that sort of thing before too. Hell some creators still do that shyt, Dwayne is just the only one to get fired for it. Like I said he wasn't even saying anything bad about DC, he was saying it was just part of the job and he understood, he was just letting fans know why some things didn't make sense and why certain characters weren't being used.

This is the shyt he said that got him fired (scroll down till you see his name):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21073

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Nah, it wasn't on his message Board, it was on DC's message board. Other creators have done that sort of thing before too. Hell some creators still do that shyt, Dwayne is just the only one to get fired for it. Like I said he wasn't even saying anything bad about DC, he was saying it was just part of the job and he understood, he was just letting fans know why some things didn't make sense and why certain characters weren't being used.

This is the shyt he said that got him fired (scroll down till you see his name):

messed up.

calh45

Cal
Daps
:russ:

Them nerds would lose they damn mind. In their minds they ARE Batman having to fight against ridiculous odds and winning just because they're "crafty". You could make any/other super hero black and I don't think they'd blink, but the second Bats is darker than an Italian they'll light the internet on fire. I still don't get why they have such an issue with Affleck. He's a dark haired good looking white dude like every other Batman.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria

and of course DC deleted that shyt from the boards. That's another reason why I can't fukk with their shyt look at what they wanted to do to John Stewart that made Joshua Hale Fialkov quit they don't respect black characters. Cyborg is the only JL member without a book its retarded. The most we even know about him in the New 52 was the shyt that made him Cyborg after that nothing. They could have handled that Static book better too

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It depends on who plays Batman.

Right now Affleck is slated to play him, which means they have pretty much run the well dry of available white actors.

How the hell he pulled off playing Daredevil, Superman, AND Batman I don't know, but it seems like there is an actor shortage in general.

I thought Donald Glover would have made for an amazing Spiderman since he's naturally a nerd and has a lot of that to play off into the character. Batman needs someone who's really self sufficient, vigilante. Off the top of my head I can't think of an actor black, white, asian, or latin that fills the part.

(ALi)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he were to be cast as black then majority of whites wouldn't pay to watch it.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I personally HATE when they cast traditionally white heroes as black because its just an affirmative action "we threw a bone to you ******s" type thing. They won't put the resources into developing an actual ORIGINAL black character with his/her own origins, history, and identity because that would take too much effort. Nah fukk that give me a Black Panther or Power Man movie over a fukking "Black" Johnny Storm:what: or "black" Spider-Man :why:

Their are just too many actual BLACK comic book heroes that could be developed for film or television to worry about recasting Cac characters as black. If you want a wise-cracking, teenaged hero who deals with the "great power, great responsibility" motive you've got Static Shock. You want a dark, sometimes brooding, no nonsense hero who comes from a tragic but wealthy background? Black Panther. The studios will simply NOT invest in heroes that in some way represent US in SPITE of the fact that Blade was the franchise that got Marvel to consider the validity of comic based movies....
:salute:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
I can see why people would say Luthor and Harvey Dent are black. Maybe it wasn't intended that way but they could definitely pass. :yeshrug: But cartoon/anime fans are weird about race. They say all the blonde hair blue eyed anime characters with Caucasian features are a representation of a world without race. :comeon:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
And that's one of if not THE most high profile wirter in comics talking about that shyt.

When he was alive he had a hard time getting work and when he did get high profile work a bunch of fans would consistently shyt on him and try to convince other people not to buy his stuff. Then after he died suddenly everybody wanted to praise him after the fact when before they stayed shytting on him.

*edit*

Actually his a tribute some of McDuffie's friends did for him that directly addresses what I'm talking about:

Dwayne-Comic-01.jpg

Dwayne-Comic-02.jpg
:wow:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's blatant uninspired lazy ass pandering if you ask me, so Jazzy's suddenly supposed to feel better cus you've turned a white character black
GTFO and gimme nikkas like Static Shock(DC's equivalent to Spiderman) Luke Cage and his wing man Shang chi and my main nikka Bishop, even with da lesser characters like War Machine and Falcon, you tryin to tell Jazzy that you cant update, repackage, flesh them out and beef up their roles and importance, of course they can(nikkas made War Machine Iron Patriot in the films and he was core to the story in the second film) and that's what they should be doing instead cheap ass gimmicks like a "black" Spiderman or a "Black" Johnny Storm :snoop: which is all they will be remembered for instead of their character, that's why Will Smith was NEVER going to take the roles of Superman and Captain America despite them being offered to him by studios. Either make a new black character and put him in with the more popular one's or update and redesign the one's that are already there.

A black captain america:leon:...people like to pretend race don't matter but how would y'all really feel about them doing tuskegee style experiments on a black man to make him a "super soldier" and defending America:usure:...takes on a whole new disgusting or c00nish context.

And a black Batman,nah Batman is just too big:manny:...black folks don't fuk wit comics too tuff and typically when we see the movies we get mad cuz "that ain't what happened in the cartoon:damn:"....most black folks don't want u fukin wit our cartoon versions either,just like people who read the books don't like it when movies stray from them:ufdup:..cartoon batman is white

Just give us some more Blade movies,but Static Shock:childplease:? I do agree on Bishop,he could be a crazy character if he played a big role in a xmen movie,nikka wuz brolic with the jherri curl and tattoo on his face like Game and Gucci Mane:pachaha:...he really could steal the show with the right actor....not sayin he need his own movie but start off giving a nikka a moment to shine and if he lives up to it people may want that spinoff if u cast em right and make em the savage and interesting character he could be:blessed: