How come Batman can't be black?

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
You're overthinking it.

Keep in mind that the general public doesn't KNOW that Batman is rich.

Plus it's comics, the general population in comic book universe is full of fukking morons. Even with a white Batman someone should have put it together that Batman's sidekicks are all about the same age and size of kids he's adopted.

Hell in the comics right now it's public knowledge that Bruce Wayne "funds" Batman but nobody has put two and two together that he might actually BE Batman.

And there's a distinct difference between Shaft and Batman....Shaft was created specifically to be a BLACK detective, his race is a KEY element to the characters very existence. Batman can be ANY race, there's nothing about his story that prevents him from being Black, Asian, Latino, Native American or anything.
Not saying you are wrong, but if the creator of Bruce Wayne made Bruce Wayne white... That pretty much means he was created specifically as a white, right? :lupe:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
maybe i think it had more to do with him being a breath of fresh air at the time there were not many anti heroes who worked with the devil (maybe ghost rider but he was never that popular)

If you want to point to one thing that made Spawn hugely popular it was McFarlane's art and the perception that it was a "edgy" and "mature" comic. The story concept is brilliant but the execution more often than not was horrible IMO. Even the stuff written by Gaiman and Moore was pretty weak IMO. I've heard the series did get pretty good as one point, but overall Spawn has been a badly written comic book with good art.

but it is a damn shame you are right that alot of white fans have a problem with black characters. We as black fans accept the medium for all it's white characters but white fans have a hard time accepting one of ours.

Hell yeah they do, but they'll also swear up and down that they don't.

Every time one of the big companies does something significant with a black character they lose their shyt.

Every time a black writer is placed on a book they assume they're a shytty writer that's secretly trying to add more black characters in comics.

God forbid a black writer is writing a black character and references race in any shape or form, then they'll completely lose their shyt, start calling the writer racism, starting saying there's shyt in the comic that isn't there, and telling other people that the comic is "all about how white people are racist".

And the thing is they start talking all that shyt BEFORE even reading the stuff.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
depends on the context for me.....

I've already stated that I think some characters could be played by people of ANY race so it doesn't matter.

I do hate the one instance I can think of where they actually tried turning a white character black in the comics and that's Nick Fury.

I got no problem at all with Black Legacy heroes. Some of the best Iron Man stories are one where Jim Rhodes was wearing the armor. The Modern Mr Terrific is far superior ot the original. And Miles Morales is fukking great. I guess what I'm saying is the execution is what's most important and it can't be some ole publicity stunt type of bullshyt.

The Nick Fury case wasn't really a change tho they just made Nick Fury disappear and made his mulatto son (Nick Fury Jr aka Marcus Johnson) the main Fury. Its not like they retconned him black.

But I agree some characters it doesn't matter when they change his/her race

I just hate it when they do it in the comic book movies when they could have just introduced a black character

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
If you want to point to one thing that made Spawn hugely popular it was McFarlane's art and the perception that it was a "edgy" and "mature" comic. The story concept is brilliant but the execution more often than not was horrible IMO. Even the stuff written by Gaiman and Moore was pretty weak IMO. I've heard the series did get pretty good as one point, but overall Spawn has been a badly written comic book with good art.

I think it got better once Mcfarlene left and they let other writers take over.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One character that shoudn't matter the race is James Bond/007... I think any man regardless of color can do that character...

Yup, especially if you buy into the James Bond just being a code name theory. Idris has been getting support to be the next Bond, which would be amazing in many ways.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2349925/Idris-Elba-Daniel-Craig-dropped-right-it.html

Vogue editor Anna Wintour emails him, and Daniel Craig believes he is the only man to be the next Bond.

Craig nominated Elba as his successor and Bond actress Naomie Harris (who co-stars with him in the Mandela movie) let it slip about his meetings with the Bond producers.

‘If they thought I was self-campaigning it would be such a turn-off,’ says Elba.

‘I’ve been advised to pipe down. Daniel dropped me right in it.’

Bruce Wayne would not be able to hide his identity if he was black...

"Wonder who that back guy in the bat costume is?!":beli:

:russ:

"Surely it can't be Bruce Wayne, the 6'2 dark skinned guy with the goatee, deep voice, and access to military equipment and transportation" :beli:

i know I nikka when I see one, I'm sorry
The Harvey Dent character model was based off Billy Dee Williams
dent8x10.jpg

batman_tas_harvey.jpg

:dahell:

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not saying you are wrong, but if the creator of Bruce Wayne made Bruce Wayne white... That pretty much means he was created specifically as a white, right? :lupe:

Not really....

They didn't set out to make a character that was white. They were trying to make a character that was similar to Zorro (who is Mexican).

And as I already mentioned throughout this thread NONE of these characters we're talking about are exactly as they were when originally created. Batman used to carry a gun and kill criminals.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
There's a huge amount of racial discrimination that goes on with major comic book publishers. There are tons of black comic book writers out there who aren't getting work. Even the ones who did get a shot at working for the big publishers have spoken out about black writers aren't given opportunities.

When Dwayne McDuffie died you saw a Marvel and DC hop on his dikk and praise him as one of the most brilliant writers of his generation, but when he was alive neither company wanted to consistently give him work, and he was given work editorial would constantly fukk with him.

Christopher Priest is another guy that editors at the big two constantly praise and say they'd LOVE to have working for him, but according to Priest nobody ever calls him to work on stuff, and during his time at both companies he dealt with all kinds of liberal racism. Priest has essentially been blackballed from the industry.

Then I've read and heard multiple stories by multiple creators where they said they'd correspond with editors over the phone or through email about job opportunities but when they show up for the face the face the job has suddenly been filled. Also there's supposedly a group of well known racists in the industry that most black creators all seem to know about.

And that's not even taking into account the way that some comic book fans can be. If fans know a comic book writer is black they WILL shyt on them constantly and accuse the writer of racism for using more than one black character and shoving racial issues down their throats.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Nick Fury case wasn't really a change tho they just made Nick Fury disappear and made his mulatto son (Nick Fury Jr aka Marcus Johnson) the main Fury. Its not like they retconned him black.

But I agree some characters it doesn't matter when they change his/her race

I just hate it when they do it in the comic book movies when they could have just introduced a black character

I really can't think of a ton of instances where they've even done that though...

Idris Elba as Heimdall

Laurence Fishburne as Perry White

Denzel Washington's character in 2 Guns

Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. There might actually be more instance with them turning white characters black, but you tend to hear MUCh more complaints white characters being turned black.

*edit*

I didn't mention Sam Jackson as Nick Fury because he isn't based on the comic book version he's portraying.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:heh: Im saying though...

Like the exact same thing couldn't be said about Bruce Wayne....He had to give Batman a Goatee just to make that shyt work. Also the assumption that a Black Batman wouldn't have the sense to change his voice just like Bruce Wayne does.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Like the exact same thing couldn't be said about Bruce Wayne....He had to give Batman a Goatee just to make that shyt work. Also the assumption that a Black Batman wouldn't have the sense to change his voice just like Bruce Wayne does.
At this point I agree with you, I am mostly joking... Imagine a black dude with a deep voice having to go even deeper like Barry White :heh:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And that's one of if not THE most high profile black writers in comics talking about that shyt.

When he was alive he had a hard time getting work and when he did get high profile work a bunch of fans would consistently shyt on him and try to convince other people not to buy his stuff. Then after he died suddenly everybody wanted to praise him after the fact when before they stayed shytting on him.

*edit*

Actually here's a tribute some of McDuffie's friends did for him that directly addresses what I'm talking about:

Dwayne-Comic-01.jpg

Dwayne-Comic-02.jpg

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At this point I agree with you, I am mostly joking... Imagine a black dude with a deep voice having to go even deeper like Barry White :heh:
Idris would have to walk around with one of them voice changers like dude from Scream, can't make his shyt go any lower without criminals going :wtf: he just say?

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
And that's one of if not THE most high profile wirter in comics talking about that shyt.

When he was alive he had a hard time getting work and when he did get high profile work a bunch of fans would consistently shyt on him and try to convince other people not to buy his stuff. Then after he died suddenly everybody wanted to praise him after the fact when before they stayed shytting on him.

i remember when he was on justice league. How many white fans complied when he added like 3 black characters to the team and then the powers that be cut his run on it short.