How come Batman can't be black?

Bone Bender

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He could be black in an alternate universe.

Or chinese, or middle eastern, native american etc Theres near infinite scenarios that can be created if you use the alternate universe caveat.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
So could "Shaft" be white? Some characters are written as a specific race...

One character that shoudn't matter the race is James Bond/007... I think any man regardless of color can do that character...

Bruce Wayne would not be able to hide his identity if he was black...

"Wonder who that back guy in the bat costume is?!":beli:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
r u white?

cause its usually white people that can't tell black people

No im not white. Lex is not black on that animated series. He tannish, but he is not black. Its already been stated he was white on that show. The creators of the show say he was inspired by telly savalas on commentary tracks on the superman animated series boxset.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
How many cacs would go to the movies to watch it?
They want their superheroes white, they can't stand them nikkas doing nikka thangs...
It's good for the "regular" movies, but they ain't trying to see that.
Remember the scandal off of that black spider man? They :mjpls: and I guess they're cancelling the Ultimate Spiderman thing...I guess it ain't selling :patrice: wonder why :skip:
Its actually selling good its the other ultimate books that ironically star cacs that aren't selling. Miles Morales book sells more than some Avengers books too

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
:what: Explain this bullshyt
I mean I just feel like it would be easier to put two and two together that the richest black man in the city just so happens to be the most well known black superhero... I dont know... maybe i am overthinking it... Just feel like you can't just blend in with the crowd if you're a rich black person. :heh:

Either way... dude was written as a white character... Leave him white... Like how stupid would it look if Shaft was white?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate when they change white characters black like we have lots of great characters just use them

depends on the context for me.....

I've already stated that I think some characters could be played by people of ANY race so it doesn't matter.

I do hate the one instance I can think of where they actually tried turning a white character black in the comics and that's Nick Fury.

I got no problem at all with Black Legacy heroes. Some of the best Iron Man stories are one where Jim Rhodes was wearing the armor. The Modern Mr Terrific is far superior ot the original. And Miles Morales is fukking great. I guess what I'm saying is the execution is what's most important and it can't be some ole publicity stunt type of bullshyt.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So fukk the creators saying that Lex was white, he has lips? :leon:
i know I nikka when I see one, I'm sorry
The Harvey Dent character model was based off Billy Dee Williams
the Lex Luthor character model is the exact same only he doesn't have any hair
koreans that don't even speak english designed the characters fukk what the guy has to say
he didn't draw them

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nobody recognizes superman but a black man with mask on and everybody knows who he is.

I wonder how man people knew who spawn was with just a mask on :lupe:

I can't front I do think part of why Spawn was so widely accepted was because he wasn't visibly black most of the time. It seems like Comic book fans can suspend their disbelief to some extent as long as they're not reminded that a character is black or has any ties to black culture.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
This thread made me think of the disney channel movie up up and away, all the super heroes were in that black family.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I can't front I do think part of why Spawn was so widely accepted was because he wasn't visibly black most of the time. It seems like Comic book fans can suspend their disbelief to some extent as long as they're not reminded that a character is black or has any ties to black culture.
maybe i think it had more to do with him being a breath of fresh air at the time there were not many anti heroes who worked with the devil (maybe ghost rider but he was never that popular)

but it is a damn shame you are right that alot of white fans have a problem with black characters. We as black fans accept the medium for all it's white characters but white fans have a hard time accepting one of ours.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean I just feel like it would be easier to put two and two together that the richest black man in the city just so happens to be the most well known black superhero... I dont know... maybe i am overthinking it... Just feel like you can't just blend in with the crowd if you're a rich black person. :heh:

Either way... dude was written as a white character... Leave him white... Like how stupid would it look if Shaft was white?

You're overthinking it.

Keep in mind that the general public doesn't KNOW that Batman is rich.

Plus it's comics, the general population in comic book universe is full of fukking morons. Even with a white Batman someone should have put it together that Batman's sidekicks are all about the same age and size of kids he's adopted.

Hell in the comics right now it's public knowledge that Bruce Wayne "funds" Batman but nobody has put two and two together that he might actually BE Batman.

And there's a distinct difference between Shaft and Batman....Shaft was created specifically to be a BLACK detective, his race is a KEY element to the characters very existence. Batman can be ANY race, there's nothing about his story that prevents him from being Black, Asian, Latino, Native American or anything.