House Of The Dragon - Season 2 - Official Thread 6/16 (NO SPOILERS)

Where does your allegiance lie?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Yeah sorry gang but they fumbled this to me. The whole point of the Dance of Dragons is it’s an anti-war tragedy. It’s a House gradually destroying itself through escalating violence. The Sophie’s choice dilemma is George R. R. Martin personified. Putting characters in horrific unwinnable situations to see how they respond and the consequence. He didn’t make Haelena a goofy autistic because you’re supposed to be able identify with her pain. He didn’t have Cole and Alicent clapping cheeks because it would cheapen the focus of the event.

This is how it started in Game of Thrones too. Small changes, book readers complained and we were told it’s no big deal, then big changes, then the story lost all meaning and quality of George’s work.

It just shows how surface level the understanding of George’s work is as well. There’s supposed to be ambiguity around how they even got into the keep. Theres even hints the “rat catcher” is probably Daimon since he knows the tunnels in kings landing. Here they just walk right in to an unlocked and unguarded room during a fukking war lol. Also supposedly they were supposed to kill Aemond. That’s like sending me to prime Mike Tyson’s house. Talking about “take him out”:mjlol:

We will see how it goes. Not hopeful anymore though.
A lot of us really don't care about the books though so we'll continue to enjoy or judge the show on its own merit :manny:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
FINALLY watched this morning, and the first thing I noticed is cregan stark having the house stark sword, ice, on his back. it's quite noticeable because of how large it is compared to all the other valyrian swords.

that said, that ending, was kinda shocking. shyt bout to get real very quick over the next 7 episodes.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
FINALLY watched this morning, and the first thing I noticed is cregan stark having the house stark sword, ice, on his back. it's quite noticeable because of how large it is compared to all the other valyrian swords.

that said, that ending, was kinda shocking. shyt bout to get real very quick over the next 7 episodes.
I dont even get how you can fight with that big ugly ass sword unless you the Mountain or somebody

Silkk

Daps
Although the Targaryens continue to rule for many more decades, this is the event that began the beginning of the end for their house, no?
I think so. Isn’t this the war that killed off the dragons?

Robert NEVER would’ve won the rebellion had that crazy ass king had Dragons around.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Although the Targaryens continue to rule for many more decades, this is the event that began the beginning of the end for their house, no?

Yes. This series and the next prequel series that's coming (A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms) will explain why they were in such a low position at the start of Game Of Thrones.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Yeah sorry gang but they fumbled this to me. The whole point of the Dance of Dragons is it’s an anti-war tragedy. It’s a House gradually destroying itself through escalating violence. The Sophie’s choice dilemma is George R. R. Martin personified. Putting characters in horrific unwinnable situations to see how they respond and the consequence. He didn’t make Haelena a goofy autistic because you’re supposed to be able identify with her pain. He didn’t have Cole and Alicent clapping cheeks because it would cheapen the focus of the event.

This is how it started in Game of Thrones too. Small changes, book readers complained and we were told it’s no big deal, then big changes, then the story lost all meaning and quality of George’s work.

It just shows how surface level the understanding of George’s work is as well. There’s supposed to be ambiguity around how they even got into the keep. Theres even hints the “rat catcher” is probably Daimon since he knows the tunnels in kings landing. Here they just walk right in to an unlocked and unguarded room during a fukking war lol. Also supposedly they were supposed to kill Aemond. That’s like sending me to prime Mike Tyson’s house. Talking about “take him out”:mjlol:

We will see how it goes. Not hopeful anymore though.

I get your point for the most part. This was how I felt about the whole Dorne storyline. Like they DID NOT play up just how different the Dornishmen are from the rest of Westeros. They might as well be an autonomous region. But instead it was let's send Jamie down there and have some sexy brownish women and pretty much that's it. Nah, man. Dorne was still a MAJOR player, even in Book 5.

However, I say this to say that, the anti-war aspect of Dance, doesn't really start becoming evident until where we are in the story now. The escalation tactics and collateral damage are what defined the story and we really are just getting to that point. Hell, we had to spend half a season last time around just introducing the characters (which in hindsight was a FANTASTIC idea). That thread of thinking becomes more evident in this season.

I don't think enough people are talking about the little things in scenes from the first episode that may be a sign of things to come. Such as both Alicent and Cole being late to the council meeting at the very beginning and Otto noticing it and giving them both a look, to later on Otto specifically telling Cole to stand guard after he caught him scheming with Aemond, but instead Cole goes and fukks the queen. It'll be interesting to see how things go and what leads to Otto's demise. Really it seems Otto will be deposed soon and watchers can sit back and appreciate his perspective. I wish this show wasn't so much as painting the blacks vs greens, good guy vs bad. It really should be a show that allows you to choose sides, instead of forcing you to side with Rhaenyra. At this point that's too late, because the first season clearly establishes The Greens as the bad guys, but with better writing and direction, they could have really made you cheer and understand both sides.

They focused the show way too much on female liberty and their ability to rule, when really Rhaenyra could have been made to look more despicable and not capable of leading Westeros. They could have also painted Aegon II as a more sympathetic character, instead of styling him after Joffrey. To me he's just a more sociable, less sadistic Joffrey. Very unlikable in his immaturity and childishness. Could have painted him way more human and made him far more complex. I think these writers/directors aren't very creative with the source material. I enjoy the show but it feels like it won't reach the highs that Game of Thrones did, because that show had way more plots going on and had more interesting, better written characters.

That's the only way the marketing works. There's no way you can make a "everyone sucks" style show out of this. That might work for Curb Your Enthusiasm but not here. People want the Super Bowl. But beyond that, the show is VERY clear in the fact that there's not many righteous people involved at all. It goes out of its way to show Rhae making bad decisions, Alicent, Otto, Aegon, Daemon, Cole...everyone is being TERRIBLE humans. Some more sympathetic than others, but everyone's selfishness has had dire consequences.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I just looked up on the whole story of Dance of the Dragons in the book.:martin:

This some bullshyt.:dead:

Rhaenyra gets killed by that brat Aegon?:martin:
Rhaenyra getting killed by the dude that usurped her throne is some bullshyt.:pacspit:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I get your point for the most part. This was how I felt about the whole Dorne storyline. Like they DID NOT play up just how different the Dornishmen are from the rest of Westeros. They might as well be an autonomous region. But instead it was let's send Jamie down there and have some sexy brownish women and pretty much that's it. Nah, man. Dorne was still a MAJOR player, even in Book 5.

However, I say this to say that, the anti-war aspect of Dance, doesn't really start becoming evident until where we are in the story now. The escalation tactics and collateral damage are what defined the story and we really are just getting to that point. Hell, we had to spend half a season last time around just introducing the characters (which in hindsight was a FANTASTIC idea). That thread of thinking becomes more evident in this season.

That's the only way the marketing works. There's no way you can make a "everyone sucks" style show out of this. That might work for Curb Your Enthusiasm but not here. People want the Super Bowl. But beyond that, the show is VERY clear in the fact that there's not many righteous people involved at all. It goes out of its way to show Rhae making bad decisions, Alicent, Otto, Aegon, Daemon, Cole...everyone is being TERRIBLE humans. Some more sympathetic than others, but everyone's selfishness has had dire consequences.
I don't feel like it has been clear cut that each side has terrible people. A lot of Daemon's moves after marrying Rhaenyra have been quietly justified. Anyway, I think you could do more with the story to make every character both redeemable and terrible. Like I don't think people see Otto as both. He and Larys are both the main villains.

Silkk

Daps
So I just looked up on the whole story of Dance of the Dragons in the book.:martin:

This some bullshyt.:dead:

Rhaenyra gets killed by that brat Aegon?:martin:
Rhaenyra getting killed by the dude that usurped her throne is some bullshyt.:pacspit:

You stupid bytches can’t help yourselves :snoop:

Not everybody watched GOT or remembers that and it clearly fukking says NO SPOILERS

@hex :ban:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
One of the dopest shots in GOT history. Superb acting. You could really feel her suffering:mjcry:

IMG-9097.jpg