Horizon Zero Dawn | PS4/PC | Out Now

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
need some tips on this game brehs im new to it

- Stealth early on >>>

When you get better equipment and learn the machines, you'll be swagging around like Tony Jaa in 'Ong Bak' but until then, thinning the herd and taking out as many enemies as you can silently will remedy a lot of potential early frustration. Go for the stealth outfits and unlock the silent take down abilities ASAP.

- Learn the machines and their weakness. Scan every new machine you come across and learn them up inside out by frequently referring to your machine notebook in the menu. Don't make the mistake I did and end up using flaming arrows on fire Bellowbacks and wonder why it only seems to be pissing them off. :laugh:

- Put your HUD on dynamic. It's the only way to fully appreciate the visuals in this game and should have been the default setting. There's too much clutter on the screen to truly take in how beautiful this one really is. You can bring up your objectives and other information by simply running your thumb across the touch pad.

- You can be an offensive player or a defensive player. I'm offensive in that I never lay traps and usually go in like Rambo. A more defensive player will prefer to set traps, tripwires, and utilize silent sticky bombs. I prefer kicking open the front door and saying hey to everybody now that I've beaten it a couple of times on Ultra Hard. :pachaha: There's a misconception that you have to lay traps and stuff but it's not the case. Play the way you most enjoy.

- Dodge towards the physical attacks, NOT away from it. It seems counter intuitive but the dodge animation has invincibility frames which was necessary to balance out the combat physics. When a Sawtooth charges, "dodge" right towards it. Also, unlock the long dodge ability ASAP. You cover more ground and gain more distance. You don't really want many of these enemies in your grill if you plan on not dying every 30 secondsIt.

- Freeze EVERYTHING. It multiplies the damage received. If the machine is resistant to external chill, then open them the fukk up via targeting their chill sacks. Snapmaws, for example, will resist your freezing arrows and eat them like Scooby Snacks, but if you hit them with enough damage in the sack under their throat, it'll explode and freeze them solid. At that point, they're food and they've lost their lomg range attack.

- Fire arrows on Glinthawks. Once they're on fire, they come crashing down, which means they're food and can be meleed to death if you move quick enough.

- Use Hardpoint arrows over precision arrows. They're significantly less expensive to craft and the Hunter bow is significantly faster of a draw. You unlock the multi-arrow notch ability and you'll make quick work of any machine or human. It takes me six Hardpoint arrows aimed directly to the heart of a frozen Thunderjaw for me to put it down Ultra Hard. It barely has time to react before it's calling for a timeout and slumped over.

- Add mods to all your weapons. Don't neglect them. In the long run, purple mods are the only ones worthwhile. As a heads up as it's the most economically and versatile weapon in the game imo, Mod the Hunter bow with pure damage + a handling mod. If you get a second one, mod it for pure fire.

- Upgrade your equipment. Better equipment, means more types of ammo. Better equipment also means more slot to add mods, which means your weapons can go from doing 600 damage per hit to something absurd like 1080.

- The Ropecaster. Buy it. You'll need it (especially when you're fighting multiple Behemoths, Ravagers, Tramplers, or Thunderjaws on the harder difficulties.)

- If you have The Frozen Wilds DLC, it had the strongest weapons in the game but do yourself a favor and don't bother until the "tough" machines in the base game become child's play. The machines in the Frozen Wilds are by far and away the toughest challenge you'll face in game. If you're bold, journey to the DLC start point and see it for yourself. The first enemy is essentianlly a test laid out by the developers for players to gauge whether or not they're ready. Its definetly for advanced, skilled players and i wouldn't reccomend trying it before you sefiously level up and obtain top tier equipment. Beat the base game first and then make that trip. The first time I met a Scorcher, I was sounding like Kenny Smith.

:pachaha:

Last edited:

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
- Stealth early on >>>

When you get better equipment and learn the machines, you'll be swagging around like Tony Jaa in 'Ong Bak' but until then, thinning the herd and taking out as many enemies as you can silently will remedy a lot of potential early frustration. Go for the stealth outfits and unlock the silent take down abilities ASAP.

- Learn the machines and their weakness. Scan every new machine you come across and learn them up inside out by frequently referring to your machine notebook in the menu. Don't make the mistake I did and end up using flaming arrows on fire Bellowbacks and wonder why it only seems to be pissing them off. :laugh:

- Put your HUD on dynamic. It's the only way to fully appreciate the visuals in this game and should have been the default setting. There's too much clutter on the screen to truly take in how beautiful this one really is. You can bring up your objectives and other information by simply running your thumb across the touch pad.

- You can be an offensive player or a defensive player. I'm offensive in that I never lay traps and usually go in like Rambo. A more defensive player will prefer to set traps, tripwires, and utilize silent sticky bombs. I prefer kicking open the front door and saying hey to everybody now that I've beaten it a couple of times on Ultra Hard. :pachaha: There's a misconception that you have to lay traps and stuff but it's not the case. Play the way you most enjoy.

- Dodge towards the physical attacks, NOT away from it. It seems counter intuitive but the dodge animation has invincibility frames which was necessary to balance out the combat physics. When a Sawtooth charges, "dodge" right towards it. Also, unlock the long dodge ability ASAP. You cover more ground and gain more distance. You don't really want many of these enemies in your grill if you plan on not dying every 30 secondsIt.

- Freeze EVERYTHING. It multiplies the damage received. If the machine is resistant to external chill, then open them the fukk up via targeting their chill sacks. Snapmaws, for example, will resist your freezing arrows and eat them like Scooby Snacks, but if you hit them with enough damage in the sack under their throat, it'll explode and freeze them solid. At that point, they're food and they've lost their lomg range attack.

- Fire arrows on Glinthawks. Once they're on fire, they come crashing down, which means they're food and can be meleed to death if you move quick enough.

- Use Hardpoint arrows over precision arrows. They're significantly less expensive to craft and the Hunter bow is significantly faster of a draw. You unlock the multi-arrow notch ability and you'll make quick work of any machine or human. It takes me six Hardpoint arrows aimed directly to the heart of a frozen Thunderjaw for me to put it down Ultra Hard. It barely has time to react before it's calling for a timeout and slumped over.

- Add mods to all your weapons. Don't neglect them. In the long run, purple mods are the only ones worthwhile. As a heads up as it's the most economically and versatile weapon in the game imo, Mod the Hunter bow with pure damage + a handling mod. If you get a second one, mod it for pure fire.

- Upgrade your equipment. Better equipment, means more types of ammo. Better equipment also means more slot to add mods, which means your weapons can go from doing 600 damage per hit to something absurd like 1080.

- The Ropecaster. Buy it. You'll need it (especially when you're fighting multiple Behemoths, Ravagers, Tramplers, or Thunderjaws on the harder difficulties.)

- If you have The Frozen Wilds DLC, it had the strongest weapons in the game but do yourself a favor and don't bother until the "tough" machines in the base game become child's play. The machines in the Frozen Wilds are by far and away the toughest challenge you'll face in game. If you're bold, journey to the DLC start point and see it for yourself. The first enemy is essentianlly a test laid out by the developers for players to gauge whether or not they're ready. Its definetly for advanced, skilled players and i wouldn't reccomend trying it before you sefiously level up and obtain top tier equipment. Beat the base game first and then make that trip. The first time I met a Scorcher, I was sounding like Kenny Smith.

:pachaha:

i was level 23 and jumped to 32 by cheesing some hunting lodge trials for exp i got damn near all the shadow weapons except for the slings and the trip/rope caster i got 9 blazing suns i need 15 total...

my problem with the machines are i just keep forgetting whats weak to what when it gets hectic esp if there's different type of machines around and all hell breaks loose i panic like last night i fought the stormbird for the first time imagine trying to take that thing down and then there's long legs and scavengers all around shyt looked like a terminator scene i had to restart cuz i died like 5 times just so i could fight it one on one...i never fought somethin like that in a video game in my life i felt like i was running for my life but its funny cuz i beat the thunderjaw on my first try

i see u say get two hunter bows so i should just use two hunter bows and nothing else bow wise ? and i guess im missing my hits sometimes cuz the handling on them sucks right ?

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
The graphics aren't as great as everyone says(I'm playing on ps4pro with a 4k tv), I think uncharted looks better. The action is great though. Story is so so so far.

I think it depends on the time of day/area ur playing it. Sometimes I'm playing it and I'm like meh, other times when I'm under the sun jogging through the Forrest the game looks damn near CGI and I can't believe it's actually real time video game graphics, let alone a open world game. Looks like a Quantum Dream developed game at times.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
I think it depends on the time of day/area ur playing it. Sometimes I'm playing it and I'm like meh, other times when I'm under the sun jogging through the Forrest the game looks damn near CGI and I can't believe it's actually real time video game graphics, let alone a open world game. Looks like a Quantum Dream developed game at times.

You are right the game looks stunning in day time and when the snow or rain falls

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If you like the base game the DLC is worth it. You get some answers on a certain character, some new crazy weapons, new skills, new :demonic: robots, more on the banuk tribe (a plus if you like them) and another cool story.
thanks breh. did you like bloodborne? god of war 4?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
thanks breh. did you like bloodborne? god of war 4?

Didn't play Bloodborne. Dem Dark Souls style games are not my type of shyt. Too hardbody for me :flabbynsick:

I like God Of War tho, should have been done with it a long time ago but I got sidetracked by Detroit: Become Human.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
If you loved the game, Frozen Wilds is definitely a must.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
It was stellar. It introduces a beautiful new location and provides the best weapons & equipment in the game. The story also coincides directly with the main campaign. It's an easy purchase imo. I'd recommend it only after beating the base game, though. It was made for players fairly adept at combat and can be unforgiving if you're either not prepared with your equipment or not acclimated with the frantic pace of the action. The first new machine you face is more challenging than any machine in the base game imo. The thing can clear a 30 foot gap between the two of you in one swipe, and the first time it happens, you won't see it coming. It surprised the hell out of me. The kicker is that it's just the warm up and the least durable out of the three or four new ones you'll meet.