Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/5) & Burning Shores DLC Out Now! Complete Edition - 10/6, PC - Feb 2024

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
The story is a bunch of nonsense, lets be honest.

The whole...

A group of humans dipped on the Earth when the war happened

had potential because of the way you could've expanded the world building

It got a little of hand once...

...you realized they were super humans that lived lightyears away, had perfect lives and are actually hundreds of years old and had to leave because of natural disaster ala Krypton

Then it got totally stupid with the

Mega AI chasing them all over the galaxy...smh

It was a good idea that they stretched too hard

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Just coming back to drop it off at earth or for a pit stop was like the dumbest fukking writing I’ve ever seen.

The idea had a lot of potential and god damn, they straight JR Smith’d it at the end. I’m hoping with the expansion dlc they can turn the ship around for the inevitable third game

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I beat the game and that's not what I mean. Yes, it's a good idea that's not enough in a game who creates this cycle of "resource grind > use resources (a lot) to defend enemies > replace the resources you used fighting > get the resources that you fought for"

• One, the resources you got in the box on the base isn't that much nor ever important for the biggest things you need
  • The damn currency to buy shyt is ALSO a resource you need to even make arrows
  • I messed around and moved the difficulty from Hard to Normal back to Hard down to Easy because any small encounter takes a lot of resources to survive, but, you gotta fight to get resources

Max ya shyt out or cut the difficulty

Also, you legit need atleast 5 different weapons because most weapons have, at max, two different elements

If you max out ONE or TWO weapons you may have a Tear weapon (because you got to be able to tear parts off machines) and a Fire element weapon...you are fukked because you are gotta get your ass whoop by enemies who don't have a weakness to

That's not good storytelling in a video game and yes, I'm speaking from the standpoint of a gamer who exhausts the dialogue.

You tell the story through the main narrative--not audiologs and hidden documents. Yes, that's great to expand the lore and give background info.

The world building is great...the written and directing for Aloy gets a little dry.

I had to have like 5 convos to get to (insert name of dead character) and how each character felt about that one event

Again, that's one thing

The entire plot is her telling ppl how she doesn't need help and she needs to go at it alone until it's completely necessary for the war scenes or the ending

You had that one part in the beginning where we was literally knocked out...and she still got up and just went out alone for a big part of the game

I agree with most of what you're saying. They could have definitely balanced the game more where it didnt feel too grindy with the crafting and gathering, and everyone hates reading and listening to voice notes in video games, thats definitely bad story telling and old game design.

The hunting and gathering added to the whole "david vs goliath" feeling the game gives you imo, but it was definitely too much and forced you to stealth a lot - they couldve cut requirements by 1/2 or 2/3. They shouldve made it so you could buy bigger inventories instead of only being able to craft them. And sitting through 30 minutes of seemingly optional but actually necessary convos between party members between every mission was old school game design and a lot to ask the player, even though some of it was interesting. God of War/Ragnarok did this properly and has the right amount of this.

But I think you're exaggerating the gameplay issues a little cause I beat the game on Hard without much frustration. Its very easy to get overpowered and overleveled in this game.

I didnt upgrade my equipment past the first couple tiers, if that, and you have 5 weapon slots - you're going to have a regular bow, spike thrower, sling shot at the minimum and that covers most elementals, and then a sniper bow/warrior bow, and ballast/casters/misc weapons. So Idk how you're not ready for any situation lol. The traps and the spike thrower were wildly overpowered too.

The shyt that annoyed me was the knockbacks and how you were getting damaged while getting up, but they patched that and made you invulnerable during that. The lock on attacks were annoying with how accurate they were too.

I agree on the story shyt where they last 1/3 of the story was a mess and some Saturday morning cartoon shyt, but I think they can turn it around, and overall it was a huge step up from the story in HZD. The reality is you need to accept some bullshyt in most video game stories, like
Atreus randomly deciding to crash out by wanting to go see and work with Odin in Asgard, out of nowhere.

Still an amazing game, there's no reason for the third game to not be a complete classic if Guerilla pays attention to these criticisms.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
But I think you're exaggerating the gameplay issues a little cause I beat the game on Hard without much frustration.

You beat this on Hard, pause?

:mjlol: Breh, I was done after an hour because I legit kept running out of material because this boss is at the END of a huge caldron with a bunch of enemies you have to kill

You just must be that ill on this game or you grinded your ass off
The hunting and gathering added to the whole "david vs goliath" feeling the game gives you imo, but it was definitely too much and forced you to stealth a lot - they couldve cut requirements by 1/2 or 2/3. They shouldve made it so you could buy bigger inventories instead of only being able to craft them. And sitting through 30 minutes of seemingly optional but actually necessary convos between party members between every mission was old school game design and a lot to ask the player, even though some of it was interesting. God of War/Ragnarok did this properly and has the right amount of this.

They wanted to pad out the open world.

Here, I'll leave this video (timestamped) that explains by problem with the crafting

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
You beat this on Hard, pause?

:mjlol: Breh, I was done after an hour because I legit kept running out of material because this boss is at the END of a huge caldron with a bunch of enemies you have to kill

You just must be that ill on this game or you grinded your ass off

They wanted to pad out the open world.

Here, I'll leave this video (timestamped) that explains by problem with the crafting

Yeah all those cauldrons were tough because of how resource exhausting they were by the time you got to the boss.

Your second video is "unavailable" to me for some reason.

No way you played on Hard. How?

Traps legit were useless because enemies NEVER ran into them.

I'm talking about the traps you place on the ground manually with the directional buttons, not the trip/fence casters (never used them).

Those things were overpowered as hell and never broke stealth.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I'm talking about the traps you place on the ground manually with the directional buttons, not the trip/fence casters (never used them).

Those things were overpowered as hell and never broke stealth.
I'm talking about both of them.

Especially those advance things that you had to fight inside the base

I'd try to get them in the more tight spaces because thats the only way

Most of this game is fighting is huge space

Breh, I played 80% of my time on Hard mode.
Your second video is "unavailable" to me for some reason.

From 40 min mark to 55 min

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I'm talking about both of them.

Especially those advance things that you had to fight inside the base

I'd try to get them in the more tight spaces because thats the only way

Most of this game is fighting is huge space

Breh, I played 80% of my time on Hard mode.

You know theres harder difficulties in the Horizon games lol. You were probably under leveled or something.

From 40 min mark to 55 min

This guy is being way too overdramatic over the crafting and gathering balancing lol. Its definitely really grindy, but its not this serious to write off the whole game lol.

Probably just clout chasing off all the Elden Ring vs Horizon stuff back when these games dropped.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You know theres harder difficulties in the Horizon games lol. You were probably under leveled or something.

This guy is being way too overdramatic over the crafting and gathering balancing lol. Its definitely really grindy, but its not this serious to write off the whole game lol.

Probably just clout chasing off all the Elden Ring vs Horizon stuff back when these games dropped.

Yeah i got a couple of the legendary bows and some high level gear and called it a day. I didn’t need maxed out everything to enjoy the game.

Overall this is a very fun game to just jump in and play, the combat is good, the traversal is good, the world is big and pretty, sidequest are good, etc. etc.

Very good sequel. I feel like the elden ring shyt is causing people to be biased toward it, I’ve seen people doing it with ragnarok too as if no other big game should even deserve to launch in the same year as ER. Also people put more weight into MC scores than they think whether they are doing it consciously or not.

If this game had scored two points higher i guarantee that video wouldn’t exist.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Yeah i got a couple of the legendary bows and some high level gear and called it a day. I didn’t need maxed out everything to enjoy the game.

Overall this is a very fun game to just jump in and play, the combat is good, the traversal is good, the world is big and pretty, sidequest are good, etc. etc.

Very good sequel. I feel like the elden ring shyt is causing people to be biased toward it, I’ve seen people doing it with ragnarok too as if no other big game should even deserve to launch in the same year as ER. Also people put more weight into MC scores than they think whether they are doing it consciously or not.

If this game had scored two points higher i guarantee that video wouldn’t exist.

Look at this guy's other videos and you'll easily see what type of time he's on.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

the game is pretty much a more refined version of Zero Dawn but with a worse main narrative. most of it is better than Zero Dawn with the one downgrade being the story campaign.

Visuals, gameplay, side quests are upgraded. story shyt the bed.

not my favorite open world game but def my favorite game to drop this year.

for the next one I do hope they change the melee combat. Aloy still feels like mashed potatoes so I did the majority of my shyt at a distance.

also, small thing, but San Francisco has the most gorgeous water ive ever seen in a video game, not even close. I straight up just chilled on the beach and flew over the ocean in my Sunwing to enjoy the view. 10/10 visuals

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
the game is pretty much a more refined version of Zero Dawn but with a worse main narrative. most of it is better than Zero Dawn with the one downgrade being the story campaign.

Visuals, gameplay, side quests are upgraded. story shyt the bed.

not my favorite open world game but def my favorite game to drop this year.

for the next one I do hope they change the melee combat. Aloy still feels like mashed potatoes so I did the majority of my shyt at a distance.

also, small thing, but San Francisco has the most gorgeous water ive ever seen in a video game, not even close. I straight up just chilled on the beach and flew over the ocean in my Sunwing to enjoy the view. 10/10 visuals

One of the main problems with the main plot was them saving san franciso until so late in the game and they based all their marketing on that area. Its the most beautiful area I’ve ever seen in a video game, with some areas in Ragnarok rivaling it.

And honestly, i can’t completely write off the main plot. One thing you’ll notice is no one new or cared about any of the side characters in zero dawn, while in forbidden west your crew was way more personable and you knew all their stories by the end. I almost feel as if its a reverse of the last game. The last games central plot was kind of meh for most of the way through until you really started getting into the zero dawn plot line and how it all went down.

This game i was way more invested in the story almost until the last third where they just go so sloppy.

I’m not sure how to feel about melee, its serviceable but it clearly wasn’t designed as a close-combat focused game. It still feels like it shines mostly as a third person shooter, which poses a problem for human enemies as they’re all mostly melee focused. I’m not really sure what they’re gonna do there.

I hope they fix and add a lot of new things for the DLC

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Did the game get an update that broke it? im having a problem launching it now. I get sound but it forces me to a black screen after it shows the title card.

I tried clearing local saved data. I tried redownloading the game. I tried resetting my console main storage. I tried reformatting my 2TB SSD. I tried factory resetting my PS5 and redownloading it. I tried fukking with my picture settings on my TV. I tried launching it from my main storage. I tried moving it to my other SSD and booting it up. Nothing works. and here's the thing, none of my other games are having this problem. Ragnarok works fine, GT7 works fine, Nier Replicant works fine, Stray is fine, Tactics Ogre works just fine. I booted up all 29 games on my PS5 to make sure my shyt wasn't busted and they all work fine, it's only Forbidden West that is shytting the bed.

is anybody else having this problem?

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Did the game get an update that broke it? im having a problem launching it now. I get sound but it forces me to a black screen after it shows the title card.

I tried clearing local saved data. I tried redownloading the game. I tried resetting my console main storage. I tried reformatting my 2TB SSD. I tried factory resetting my PS5 and redownloading it. I tried fukking with my picture settings on my TV. I tried launching it from my main storage. I tried moving it to my other SSD and booting it up. Nothing works. and here's the thing, none of my other games are having this problem. Ragnarok works fine, GT7 works fine, Nier Replicant works fine, Stray is fine, Tactics Ogre works just fine. I booted up all 29 games on my PS5 to make sure my shyt wasn't busted and they all work fine, it's only Forbidden West that is shytting the bed.

is anybody else having this problem?

Nope. I was playing it to compare graphics with GOWR just recently.