Horizon Forbidden West (PS4/5) & Burning Shores DLC Out Now! Complete Edition - 10/6, PC - Feb 2024

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
And still the best looking game out this year..

36828-E28-6-A51-4107-97-FB-2-D1-FA8016724.jpg

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Fix what exactly.

• Cut the crafting shyt...like, CUT IT OUT. Too much shyt to get...and to get the shyt, you need resources to hunt...come up with something like the Base system where your folk give you resources--a lot. Use some of the settlements to give you resources--again, a lot. Cut that grind out.
  • Aloy's writing did not get better--she's still too wooden and almost impossible for the average person to root for. A big character dies towards the end, but, if you don't speak to the characters, you don't even get a sense she cares. Her sister, you was raised in a lab has more emotional range than her.
Those are the big two.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
  • Cut the crafting shyt...like, CUT IT OUT. Too much shyt to get...and to get the shyt, you need resources to hunt...come up with something like the Base system where your folk give you resources--a lot. Use some of the settlements to give you resources--again, a lot. Cut that grind out.
  • Aloy's writing did not get better--she's still too wooden and almost impossible for the average person to root for. A big character dies towards the end, but, if you don't speak to the characters, you don't even get a sense she cares. Her sister, you was raised in a lab has more emotional range than her.
Those are the big two.

Everything you're saying in your first point is already in the game lol.

There's a box in the base that is constantly refreshed with new resources and loot your other parties members find for you, and most vendors will sell you resources including some of the hardest shyt to get like thunderjaw tails.

I agree they made upgrading weapons really grindy tho, but there's also no real need to max out your gear like that unless you're some completionist, especially with how you're constantly getting newer gear that makes older gear redundant even with upgrades. I only really spent time upgrading my legendary tier stuff to prepare for NG+.

With your second point, I agree that they made a lot of dialogue optional and missable if you don't talk to every party member after every mission like Mass Effect. Same with the lore you find in the game. There's key story beats there that you can miss if you don't pay attention to that stuff you pick up and strictly stick to only the main cutscenes to feed you story - the whole Ted Faro arc is a perfect example.

If you stick to the main cutscenes only then the story moves really quickly and it will seem like Aloy doesn't develop much or have much relationship with her party members. I think most people rushed through this game cause of Elden Ring and missed all this stuff you were supposed to do to get character building and story building / lore.

I also think this is how much covid impacted the development of this game, with how they got so much story and character content outside of cutscenes. They were probably limited on how much time they had with actors to create more scenes, so instead they just put these things behind conversations and lore pick ups.

Last edited:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
my main problem with the game was just the last 3rd of the story, i just didn’t like how it all came together. Thats really the only thing that keeps it from being my GOTY, that last arch.

That last hour of the game shouldve been like 4-6 more hours of gameplay.

There was way too many things that happened way too quickly in the last third of the game, especially the last few hours, that couldve all been better executed if they spent more time on it.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Ya I spent way too much time crafting and grinding mats. I actually lowered the difficulty to easy loot for farming because it was taking way too long.

The core gameplay is extremely fun but they need to dumb it down or at least massively expand the ammo so I’m not crafting every 10 min but actually playing the game

And the little ! Notifications are annoying I felt like I spent half the game in the main menu /map

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The story is a bunch of nonsense, lets be honest.
when I finished Zero Dawn and was watching Sylens talk to Hades, my reaction was :lupe:

When I finished Forbidden West, the threat of Nemesis and Sylens staying back to help the big happy friendship group had me:unimpressed:

Good game, crappy main story. I also didn't like how Regalla had a cool intro and then they did fukk all with her character. completely underutilized.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
There's a box in the base that is constantly refreshed with new resources and loot your other parties members find for you, and most vendors will sell you resources including some of the hardest shyt to get like thunderjaw tails.

I beat the game and that's not what I mean. Yes, it's a good idea that's not enough in a game who creates this cycle of "resource grind > use resources (a lot) to defend enemies > replace the resources you used fighting > get the resources that you fought for"

• One, the resources you got in the box on the base isn't that much nor ever important for the biggest things you need
  • The damn currency to buy shyt is ALSO a resource you need to even make arrows
  • I messed around and moved the difficulty from Hard to Normal back to Hard down to Easy because any small encounter takes a lot of resources to survive, but, you gotta fight to get resources

I agree they made upgrading weapons really grindy tho, but there's also no real need to max out your gear like that unless you're some completionist, especially with how you're constantly getting newer gear that makes older gear redundant even with upgrades. I only really spent time upgrading my legendary tier stuff to prepare for NG+.

Max ya shyt out or cut the difficulty

Also, you legit need atleast 5 different weapons because most weapons have, at max, two different elements

If you max out ONE or TWO weapons you may have a Tear weapon (because you got to be able to tear parts off machines) and a Fire element weapon...you are fukked because you are gotta get your ass whoop by enemies who don't have a weakness to

With your second point, I agree that they made a lot of dialogue optional and missable if you don't talk to every party member after every mission like Mass Effect. Same with the lore you find in the game. There's key story beats there that you can miss if you don't pay attention to that stuff you pick up and strictly stick to only the main cutscenes to feed you story - the whole Ted Faro arc is a perfect example.

That's not good storytelling in a video game and yes, I'm speaking from the standpoint of a gamer who exhausts the dialogue.

You tell the story through the main narrative--not audiologs and hidden documents. Yes, that's great to expand the lore and give background info.

The world building is great...the written and directing for Aloy gets a little dry.

I had to have like 5 convos to get to (insert name of dead character) and how each character felt about that one event

Again, that's one thing

The entire plot is her telling ppl how she doesn't need help and she needs to go at it alone until it's completely necessary for the war scenes or the ending

You had that one part in the beginning where we was literally knocked out...and she still got up and just went out alone for a big part of the game