Homeowners fuming after receiving increased property tax assessments

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
That does not matter. Their effective cost of home ownership went up for them. When people harp on and on about owning being better in renting, they never mention the part about property taxes being so variable if your market is hot. The only reason to celebrate your house getting more expensive is if you are selling it soon. The problem is will you be able to afford another home after you sell the first one?

I don't know how people miss this. Nobody should want their property value to go up significantly YoY unless they are about to sell. Not only will the tax payment be more, even if they sell comparable housing in the same area will negate any gains they receive from the increased value.

It's smart-dumb when people jump for joy at this.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Property taxes have to support the community the properties are in. Schools, sanitation, police, construction, bond interest, and so on... You can't cap property taxes if expenses rise above that cap.

If you want to be a homeowner, here's one of the disadvantages. :yeshrug:

This factors into the rent vs buy debate as well...
It's better than seeing your rent go up 1500 a month instead. When you're an owner, at least you can rent out a room.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
people know changes in tax amount is a possibility (probablity) when you buy a house right?

any (typical) mortgage you have should be qualified on your proof that you make 3x the amount of mortgage so I don't see how extra $1000/yr is going to make or break a responsible home owner.

Bruh your mortgage going up 250 bucks a month is a big deal. That $3000 is two family vacations for us! For folks on a fixed income that’s damn near 2 weeks of food.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
my house value went up about 150k in the last couple years, but luckily for me, the county hasn't reassessed my home yet (knock on wood)

my property taxes between last year and this year, have only gone up about $10 total, so certainly have nothing to complain about.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Property taxes have to support the community the properties are in. Schools, sanitation, police, construction, bond interest, and so on... You can't cap property taxes if expenses rise above that cap.

If you want to be a homeowner, here's one of the disadvantages. :yeshrug:

This factors into the rent vs buy debate as well...
I said year over year. They can continue to increase every year, but it shouldn’t be more than a certain percentage. It will help homeowners get acclimated to increased property values

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Enjoyed seeing my Zillow skyrocket and getting unsolicited requests to buy my house until that tax bill hit this year :wow:

that property value increase means nothing cuz when u go to sell ur crib, ur gonna have to pay a fortune to find another one. on top of that, mortgage rates are now significantly higher.

there's no way in hell I'm selling my crib in the foreseeable future while I'm locked in with low taxes and a 3% mortgage.

Daps
Bruh your mortgage going up 250 bucks a month is a big deal. That $3000 is two family vacations for us! For folks on a fixed income that’s damn near 2 weeks of food.

if you dont have it or have to take one less vacation that is one thing....that doesn't mean something wrong is being done to you

cuz yall damn sure aint saying nothing when it gets adjusted downward and you paying $200 less a month :mjlol: yall know what it is

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
if you dont have it or have to take one less vacation that is one thing....that doesn't mean something wrong is being done to you

cuz yall damn sure aint saying nothing when it gets adjusted downward and you paying $200 less a month :mjlol: yall know what it is
You caping for inflated home costs :childplease:

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
i'm caping for accountability. everybody who has a mortgage knows property tax is subject to change :russell:
if you don't keep the same energy on a downward adjustment, i'm taking this as a "i just don't want to pay" which is nobodies issue but your own

#doyourduediligence

If I buy a house for 100k it's reasonable to not want to pay taxes on 200k worth of house.

Housing is a damn necessity not a luxury good goofy

Daps
If I buy a house for 100k it's reasonable to not want to pay taxes on 200k worth of house.

Housing is a damn necessity not a luxury good goofy

like i said, on that math.... an extra $1000 a year should not break or make a responsible home owner. thats not a "luxury" level change goofy