Homeowners fuming after receiving increased property tax assessments

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
and yet we are not even close to being out of it.
The Midwest and plains of the flyover states have plenty of space.

We wouldnt allow billionaires like Bill Gates to own massive acres of land if there was a serious concern.

Its simply another way to concentrate wealth in the hands of the few, and put the tax burden on the many.
Available land is not the same as useable land .

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Yes $125 is alot when I don't have the option to put it where I want to. If I had an Extra $125 I could up my 401k contribution, buy some stock or pay down the principal on my mortgage. This extra $125 could also negate some of the yearly raise I get from work. In the grand scheme of things $125 is alot. My value of my house is up about $120,000 more than what I baught it for but that doesn't mean I plan on selling it. My school taxes are about to explode aswell so everything is gonna blow up at once. Hell my electric bill and propane bill is out of this world right now. This isn't a good thing.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Who said they couldn’t take of the yard and what if you don’t want to live in an elder to community and you want to stay in the house you worked hard to pay off?

I’ve always been of the belief that there should be a cap on how much property taxes can increase year over year for existing homeowners.

Property taxes have to support the community the properties are in. Schools, sanitation, police, construction, bond interest, and so on... You can't cap property taxes if expenses rise above that cap.

If you want to be a homeowner, here's one of the disadvantages. :yeshrug:

This factors into the rent vs buy debate as well...

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Mine went up $500, and yes that is a big deal when you pay your property taxes yearly, the way people do when their house is paid off. It's a big deal when you pay them monthly as well, because it still adds up. People who say this is no big deal are just talking to be talking. Anyway, this makes you worry about what the taxes gonna be next year, and the year after, etc.... Meanwhile gas has gone back to $4 a gallon, and bleach cost $75.

It sounds like the lady in the video has her house paid off, and she pays her property taxes yearly. But what's the use of appealing the amount, if you know your house went up a lot in one year like everybody elses'.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This.

And as a matter of fact this type of thing also accelerates gentrification.

I watched this happen in real-time to DC residents over 20 years ago.
Yup. Its especially bad for folks on a fixed income. Your home is your home until taxes and general cost of living rise too much in your area. Its absolutely possible to do everything right and just get prices the fukk out of a place you already live in.

Daps
people know changes in tax amount is a possibility (probablity) when you buy a house right?

any (typical) mortgage you have should be qualified on your proof that you make 3x the amount of mortgage so I don't see how extra $1000/yr is going to make or break a responsible home owner.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Are you insane or just real cocky? I own a house and it’s worth 100 more than I bought it for. But I don’t see any money unless I sell it. I buy a new house and try to cash in on that 100 k. Guess what genius all other other houses are now 100 k more also. So I’m fukked. I don’t win if I sell off if all other houses have gone up. 125$ is real money when gas is 4.40 a gallon out here and everything has gone up. I swear some of you don’t live in reality and only see “100k” and thing People see that. What’s a 100 k if everything is up?
Other than myself, you're probably the only person I ever heard say this. I never hear this point being made on the media. All they talk about is how much you can get for your house, as though you're gonna sell it, pocket the money, and keep your house.

Last edited:

Cowboyz89

#WeDemBoyz Season Has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Fukk Trump
Other than myself, you're probably the only person I ever heard say this. I never hear this point being made on the media. All they talk about is how much you can get for your house, as though you're gonna sell it, pocket the money, and keep your house.
Agreed. People lack even the most basic of common sense.
The only way to really enjoy the money in the way they think is to sell your house in a higher cost of living area and buy a cheaper house in a lower cost of living area.
Except now you have left your entire life behind and have to start over.