Hollywood is Making a Live-Action ‘One Piece’ TV Show

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The show was decent, and it's clear it's much better than the anime. I don't have any energy to suffer through the anime, so I will experience the story through the live action series

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
As a One Piece stan it's great to see more people getting into the story through this medium.

But the anime Slander kinda stings :mjlol:

East Blue is basically a warm up. Juries still out if they're gonna be able to adapt the fantastical and wild shyt that happens on the Grand Line. Alot of that shyt has to go above and beyond Game of Thrones budget for it to work imo.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The beauty of the live action is how fast it moves. Perfect for newbies who can't wait until the manga or anime get good.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So is it good? Fallen off with the managa so many times cos its so fukkin long and i forget where im at.
Is it trying to at least follow the same story?

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
this shyt aint amazing writing, but it is enjoyable
Never read the series, so I went in blind when my sis was watching it.

The writing felt pretty poor imo, but I have a harsher takeaway than you did. It felt like to me was geared towards pre-teens with the one-dimensional characters and obvious character arcs and tropes where the good guys are pure like Shanks and the bad guys are cartoonishly evil, like threatening to beat up a little girl offering food to strangers simply because they hate the world. No backstory, no layered perspective. Just pure evil vs pure good. Watched about three episodes and deuced out.

I think it doesn't help that the guy and the girl that join the crew have the exact same repeated response of "I work alone/we're not a team" and then both randomly decide to join after one fight like an NPC in a videogame. Also the villains are stereotypically bad in terms of just executing a plan when they have control. "Oh you have stretchy powers? Well I'm going to stretch you (pause) an arbitrary amount and threaten to beat up little children while holding you captive" or "Oh you killed my friend? I'm going to throw knives at you while you're tied to a spinning wheel instead of slitting your throat".

Things like that made it hard for me not to roll my eyes with each piece of dialogue.

Last edited:

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Arlong preaching racial superiority and called Nami ‘Sister Nami’

he’s definitely a Hotep :mjlol:
They had arlong with a Kangol and a chain on. Looking like a young LL Cool J.

why-live-action-arlong-got-drip-v0-v02gip6lqjmb1.jpg

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Just saw the series and loved it. I tried to watch the anime but gave up after like 5 episodes. This live action series is vastly superior to me.

The only character I didn't like was Usopp. Although his character might be faithful to the source material, I don't like coward characters.

Yea, the Usopp character is kinda meh. After watching the show i skimmed a bit of the manga (the first 1/5th, since it's like a billion issues) to see if he gets better, and so far not really. Granted it plays a little better in the manga bc all of the main cast are a bit more goofy/extreme in their tropes.

Like, the chef really is Johnny Bravo with every female he sees, Nami really is tryna scam any/everyone outta money, and Luffy is a bigger idiot. Entertaining but cartoonish. With the live-action show being a bit more grounded, Usopp being a liar, coward, and the only one who can't really fight, feels a bit more glaring.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC