Hip Hop Is Dead... How Nasir's Battle Cry Helped Save An Artform

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Beautiful stuff Ruler Zig. Beautiful shyt. Me personally, though, being 100% sincere, Hip Hop is Dead didn't have quite the impact it should've AND could've had. I believe a LARGE percentage of the hip hop community brushed it off as east coast elitism and continued in it's decadent spiral of elementary lyricism over juvenile beats. I always thought that the album could've had a greater impact on the game if Nas had that vulgar edge that he had on Stillmatic. I mean nasty. Destroy and Rebuid "I don't give afukk" NASTY. Still a solid album but it didn't have the particular "umphh" to make it a game changer.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Made you look was the first single off Gods Son. It was classic. It sampled the Incredible Bongo Band.

Thiefs Theme was the single off Streets Disciple. It was aiight. No one really cared. It too sampled the Incredible Bongo Band.

Hip Hop Is Deads title track was the lead single. It was wack. It samples the exact same song "in a godda Da vi Da" by the incredible bongo band as the album before it, which was a lift from made you look artistically.

Even a one eyed person can see thru the horse shyt.

dirty_yo

hired help
Daps
Reppin
the trashcan
Made you look was the first single off Gods Son. It was classic. It sampled the Incredible Bongo Band.

Thiefs Theme was the single off Streets Disciple. It was aiight. No one really cared. It too sampled the Incredible Bongo Band.

Hip Hop Is Deads title track was the lead single. It was wack. It samples the exact same song "in a godda Da vi Da" by the incredible bongo band as the album before it, which was a lift from made you look artistically.

Even a one eyed person can see thru the horse shyt.
Are you trolling? In a gadda da vida is iron butterfly not the incredible bongo band.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
542246_620369821339634_497438515_n.jpg

1208644_620302348013048_462978734_n.jpg

damn is it me or Nas make others cats look flabbier and sickier than they really are, they shouldn't take a photo next to him :damn:

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps

dirty_yo

hired help
Daps
Reppin
the trashcan
Not the version Nas sampled. Bongo Band covered it.
Im not going to deny nas doesnt recycle ideas but this isn't one of them. I know what youre trying to say, that both songs have that "break beat hippity hop" vibe but I dont think that makes them artistically similar. Both samples, apache and in a gadda da vida were interpolated by the incredible bongo band but their covers aren't artistically similar. If anything nas' nasty was aesthetically similar to made u look and merely a rehash even though the bongo band were nowhere to be seen.