Hip Hop Is Dead... How Nasir's Battle Cry Helped Save An Artform

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
"To the South's credit, they kept the lights on in hip-hop for at least two years. And I rock with all their records. Hip-hop ain't died because of the South, that's retarded. When I named the album originally, I thought I bit off more than I could chew but you'd be an idiot to think I'm talking about how the South killed hip-hop or how New York isn't where it should be or where it once was. It was like, "Damn, I need to explain this?" But I thought, "Nah, the proof is right there. We should know what it is." I expect the hip-hop audience to be avant garde. I want them to be where I'm at or beyond where I'm at."

http://m.pitchfork.com/features/interviews/6499-nas/

These are the two points I keep trying to tell people:mindblown: As I said earlier,it wasn't the south's fault and NaS never said it was their fault. Yet nikkas here still try to say otherwise:snoop:

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
7i
Hiphop is dead, rap music almost.
So are you saying the art is still gone and nikkas is just rapping for checks?

If I read that correct,which I don't know if I did,hip hop will never die. It can always be found in the underground. As for mainstream,hip hop is in its best shape in years. With all the new talent led by Kendrick,the future looks promising. Sure there's still garbage out there,but every era has wack rappers in it:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Hiphop is dead, rap music almost.

Nah you've got talented artists like Kendrick Lamar dropping classic debuts, Lupe Fiasco, who can drop incredible displays of lyrical wizardry in his sleep. J.Cole who just dropped an excellent album, Wale who is talented. Kanye, when he takes his head out of his ass, can still drop incredible music. you still have Nasir the Gawd dropping heat at 40:wow:

Hip Hop is in a MUCH better place than it was a few short years ago. Nas himself said on the album "Hip Hop will NEVER die" it just goes through its highs and lows. we're on a steady upward stream

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
These are the two points I keep trying to tell people:mindblown: As I said earlier,it wasn't the south's fault and NaS never said it was their fault. Yet nikkas here still try to say otherwise:snoop:

it was nas's fault the wack jiggy popular culture gets to create the rapper cred gen rapper existed.
that eventually severed hiphop as a culture from the business and industry of rap.
if not for the sellout album, iww.
we would have never have to deal with the issues we have now.
on top of him penning the largest jiggy records of all time, as well.

art barr

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Let There Be Light should have been a single
The most underrated Nas song of all time. As for this thread, it's another example of why I was wrong when I thought that "I" was a Nas stan. I might've made the first Nas thread on this board, but you guys are on some other shyt.

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
it was nas's fault the wack jiggy popular culture gets to create the rapper cred gen rapper existed.
that eventually severed hiphop as a culture from the business and industry of rap.
if not for the sellout album, iww.
we would have never have to deal with the issues we have now.
on top of him penning the largest jiggy records of all time, as well.

art barr
:what: how was iww a sellout album?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
people were already saying hip-hop is dead. even on this forum.

all nas did was cash in.

and the threadstarter is creepin me out.

Illeye buckmatic

I Don't Stunt I Regulate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Buckeye State Of Mind
people were already saying hip-hop is dead. even on this forum.

all nas did was cash in.

and the threadstarter is creepin me out.

Yeah people were already saying it including artists from the south and west. While I'm sure he didn't like the direction of the music,I'm sure he saw it as an opportunity to cash in:lolbron:
My whole main thing with this topic was artist blaming the south when it was the south doing the most to keep hip hop alive:snoop:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:what: how was iww a sellout album?

it was the album that gave away the how to be a credible sellout emcee formula.
which, violated the exact principles the knights of the Templar of rap.
who put him on fought to keep intact in the new school way of thought.
which was brought on by his own failure to keep his show commitments.
plus, provide the added pr and appearances for illmatic.
if nas, would have kept it true.
hiphop would not be in the state it is in, period.

art barr