Hidden Figures (Official Thread)

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Got to catch this early. Janelle Monae gave a better performance in this than she did in Moonlight.

Very inspiring film

Me and my girl were sitting next to a few teenage black girls who were shocked at some of the scenes that showcased segregation and many of the "colored only" signs :snoop: what are these kids learning in school?
They're most likely:mjpls:and now they're going to feel strange when they see their white boyfriends:pachaha:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
I think I just expected more because of what we're used to. It actually is refreshing they didn't go there. Maybe she didn't have any drama at home. lol.

oh ok..cool. I agree that it's refreshing they didn't. There's already enough intrigue and drama with what they are actually working on...I'm not a fan of when they add in non-pertinent extra conflict(That I personally don't care for)
I was glad that they glossed over the wedding and didn't show the ceremony, and got right back to the story.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
I think I just expected more because of what we're used to. It actually is refreshing they didn't go there. Maybe she didn't have any drama at home. lol.
But if she was a brilliant mathematician, she was probably a lot more logical thinker than the majority of women who use emotion as the foundation of their conversations.

Hollywood promoted this very well, so props for that. Side note: Glenn never went to the moon, he orbited the earth. But that's a discussion for another time and thread.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
only 3 mill at the box office???wtf ...really hard out here for black folks

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
But if she was a brilliant mathematician, she was probably a lot more logical thinker than the majority of women who use emotion as the foundation of their conversations.

Hollywood promoted this very well, so props for that. Side note: Glenn never went to the moon, he orbited the earth. But that's a discussion for another time and thread.

The irony of your extremely sexist and misogynistic comment is that those very notions about females being illogical are shown in the film as being the barriers these women faced in their fight for equality.

Also ironical is that despite being male, your point is NOT logical at all. Stephen Hawking, one of the most brilliant mathematicians in modern history just had a movie based on his life and it was filled with family drama. Drama he started and told for his own biography.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I liked the movie a lot. Really enjoyed it.

Also made me angry at white people. They rather keep their ignorance and racist notions more than creating a big tent and bringing in all ideas.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Fantastic movie. Loved the way they showed the subtlety of racism and prejudice. The injustices that so many people either ignore or flat-out don't realize exist, simply because "that's the way it is". I think it's important to recognize that discrimination takes many forms beyond outright violence and hateful bigotry. The little things are, in some ways, worse BECAUSE they can be so easily ignored.