Hidden Figures (Official Thread)

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Wish I liked it more than I did. But I'm just generally not a fan of these pg inspirational period piece films with speeches to white people that solve every issue. I can like them, I really enjoyed the pg inspirational film Queen of Katwe, but that felt less safe and a little more ambitious and nuanced in what it wanted to get across. Hidden Fugures felt like exactly what I thought it would be watching the trailer.

I was calling bullshyt in my head during the John Glenn phone call scene but when I went home and looked it up it turned out the scene was true. So I am more positive on the film than I was when I left the theater.

And even if I'm not overly positive on it I would recommend this for other people, especially younger kids, both boys and girls. The crowd in my theater was loving every second of it and roared with applause near the end. I could see it really inspiring quite a few people. It's an important film and that alone made the price of admission worth it. I hope it continues to bank.

Last edited:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
It's good it at least made its budget back, but Taraji is over exaggerating it beating Rogue One. Rogue One is closing in on $1B while Hidden Figures is at $25m.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Fantastic movie. Loved the way they showed the subtlety of racism and prejudice. The injustices that so many people either ignore or flat-out don't realize exist, simply because "that's the way it is". I think it's important to recognize that discrimination takes many forms beyond outright violence and hateful bigotry. The little things are, in some ways, worse BECAUSE they can be so easily ignored.
this is exactly what my GF said.

I agree completely. Also thats what made me very mad at ypippo, lol.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
It's good it at least made its budget back, but Taraji is over exaggerating it beating Rogue One. Rogue One is closing in on $1B while Hidden Figures is at $25m.
I think she was talking about for the opening.

Even then it still came in #2, but BARELY (by less than 200k).

nBhxgRb.png

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
who was behind the production, i bet it was oprah's ugly lesbo self-hating ass.

sheldon cooper's in it, thats a good look.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I liked it but it was so predictable and exactly what you expect it was almost a bore. Still, these ladies deserve to have their story told even with all the Hallmark home series treatment.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Im put off by the music the trailers are playing

Like.. i dont need family cookout tunes for a nasa space movie

I want

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Wish I liked it more than I did. But I'm just generally not a fan of these pg inspirational period piece films with speeches to white people that solve every issue. I can like them, I really enjoyed the pg inspirational film Queen of Katwe, but that felt less safe and a little more ambitious and nuanced in what it wanted to get across. Hidden Fugures felt like exactly what I thought it would be watching the trailer.

I was calling bullshyt in my head during the John Glenn phone call scene but when I went home and looked it up it turned out the scene was true. So I am more positive on the film than I was when I left the theater.

And even if I'm not overly positive on it I would recommend this for other people, especially younger kids, both boys and girls. The crowd in my theater was loving every second of it and roared with applause near the end. I could see it really inspiring quite a few people. It's an important film and that alone made the price of admission worth it. I hope it continues to bank.

Great review, but I think a lot of people walked away from the movie feeling this way about many aspects of the movie, especially the bolded. It is kinda scary how much we're willing to believe other biopics and question parts of this one. I found myself doing that too, and had to really sit down and think about why I was doing that.