Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
So you’d prefer it to have been a tad more ambiguous?

I don't think it would've been all that ambiguous if it ended 5 minutes earlier. But I think wrapping things up so neatly and concretely does a disservice to the themes of grief, family trauma, etc that are so well developed otherwise.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't think it would've been all that ambiguous if it ended 5 minutes earlier. But I think wrapping things up so neatly and concretely does a disservice to the themes of grief, family trauma, etc that are so well developed otherwise.

shyt I didn’t think it was neatly wrapped up at all. For me, the ending left more questions than answers. And actually made it all seedier and worse because the family never stood a chance.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's typically more effective (and therefore, scarier) when you have to make sense of what's happening, rather than being told, explicitly. If that makes any sense.

Well like I just said, the ending actually disturbed me more. Very much like rosemarys baby where the ending made the subtext obvious but just makes the whole thing worse for me. People being watched and in jeopardy like that always fukks with me. They never had a chance and it makes the whole thing nihilistic

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
shyt I didn’t think it was neatly wrapped up at all. For me, the ending left more questions than answers. And actually made it all seedier and worse because the family never stood a chance.

I will say, the ending did make me want to watch it again, to search for connections and to see the seeding of the final "reveal"

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Can someone explain how the mother figures out Charlie is dead? All you hear in the scene with Peter laying in bed is a muffled conversation and then sudden wailing.

They go to the car because it’s her car. Charlie’s body was still in the car with no head

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow: I'm kinda glad I didn't see this in the theater. I don't think I would've been able to handle that part when they are coming home from the party. Don't think I ever been this disturb by a horror movie since I was a little child. Hell I can't think of many horror movies that left me stuck during the credits trying to process everything I just watched.
Don't know how well it holds up with repeated viewings but based off my first I got to give it a 5/5.