Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

NoStressB

Pro
Daps
Reppin
El Aye
So did Paimon not know he was in Charlie's body?

Why was he acting all surprised and shocked?

The only part of the movie I didn't really get. Was Paimon truly aware what was going on and orchestrating the events or was it all the cult ?

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
The only part of the movie I didn't really get. Was Paimon truly aware what was going on and orchestrating the events or was it all the cult ?

exactly....even on a 2nd viewing it was vague...The way Charlie was being distant to her mom after the funeral kind of hinted at it...but It didnt seem like Paimon was aware of anything and making a conscious decisions....

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw it last night, and came away very impressed, with minimal hype and I don't even think I saw the trailer, just read a few stories, and the NY Times review.

It is very much in the same line as Rosemary's Baby (more directly) and The Shining, in terms of realistic situations that gradually shift into the supernatural or occult, but take their time, and increase the atmosphere of dread, tension, madness, circling all the characters. Toni Collette turns in a masterful performance, of a tortured woman, and all the supporting characters including Gabriel Byrne were excellent. Joanie was an effectively creepy homage to her counterpart in Rosemarys Baby, and those initial scenes, as she gets closer to her were perfect.

The scene where Toni Collette's character confesses she once soaked her children in paint thinner as she held a lighter, is when the audience "realizes" there is something REALLY wrong here. When that scene reappears later is some of the movies best imagery and horror, without using jump scares, although the one jump scare before the "Mommy Mommy" scene got me more than anything in recent memory. The fire scene with Collette and Byrne as the last few minutes begin was brutal. All the imagery throughout was great, from the school scenes to the occult, to the final The Witch esque scenes in the treehouse.

The naturalistic, slow burn style of direction was the perfect approach for this material even if the final reveal has been done many times, it worked for me. This is among the best horror of the last 10 years or so, easily. Amazing debut for the director.

There was also some dry humor I liked, though I only smirked a handful times, and no one else in the audience seemed to, mostly related to the exasperation of Byrne's character, at Collette is in the less malicious stages of her descent into insanity.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
I'm a lil confused by Colette character...was she being sincere in Peter's room when he thought she was choking her?