Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Indie horror is fine but studio horror has been great for some time too. A lot of culture writers turn their noses up at that shyt tho and miss it so they ignore the conjuring and everything James wan has done for a decade or ignore the work Jason Blum has been doing with universal. Horror has been great for this entire decade and really has been booming since 9/11 for obvious reasons.

Silence of the lambs is an anomaly yeah but it also answered that question years ago. As did the exorcist years before that. As did jaws a few years before that. Plenty of 70s horror flicks were prestige. The omen, don’t look now, the exorcist, and rosemarys baby off the top of my head. Now whether all these nominated movies take home the big prize is the question and the issue but horror has been prestige for quite some time.

Sigourney weavers oscar comes from Aliens. I mean what’s more prestige than that?

Sam a horror geek, and I’m sure joe lynch and Adam green talked about this on the movie crypt once or twice, the idea that only a specific type of indie horror can only be recognized as prestigious or award worthy makes me roll my eyes lol. Especially since most if not all horror is independent.

And that’s no diss to you at all just a diss to people who write that type of shyt or talk about “elevated horror.” Nah if they’re now down with the whole genre don’t try to peek in or crack a door to tell me these movies over here are better than what I’m watching because it fits your sensibilities more, so much so that it has to be labeled above the genre
Me personally i tuned out during the Saw and Paranormal activity era.

I do like conjuring and insidious though so I'll give you those.

But I've enjoyed all these A24 and It follows type films the casual moviegoers hate quite a bit the past few years.

I hope Hereditary gets some oscar noms

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Me personally i tuned out during the Saw and Paranormal activity era.

I do like conjuring and insidious though so I'll give you those.

But I've enjoyed all these A24 and It follows type films the casual moviegoers hate quite a bit the past few years.

I hope Hereditary gets some oscar noms

But we’ve had his talk before. Gotta take it all but that’s me as a horror geek. I love the first saw and paranormal 1 and 3. But even while those were going on we still got gems like Rec, Texas chainsaw remake, wrong turn 2, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, land of the dead, final destination 2, the host, audition, house of the devil, the descent, and grindhouse. And I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff.

Casual moviegoers haven’t responded to them cause they’re against formula for the most part and that always rubs audiences the wrong way and makes them feel dumb. But they’re also hyped to high heaven and that also hurts reactions cause people go in expecting to see Jesus on screen and He ain’t there lol. But also there’s an air of superiority from A24’s horror flicks that may talk down to audiences while Blumhouse horror flicks talk to audiences and talk with them.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
But we’ve had his talk before. Gotta take it all but that’s me as a horror geek. I love the first saw and paranormal 1 and 3. But even while those were going on we still got gems like Rec, Texas chainsaw remake, wrong turn 2, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, land of the dead, final destination 2, the host, audition, house of the devil, the descent, and grindhouse. And I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff.

Casual moviegoers haven’t responded to them cause they’re against formula for the most part and that always rubs audiences the wrong way and makes them feel dumb. But they’re also hyped to high heaven and that also hurts reactions cause people go in expecting to see Jesus on screen and He ain’t there lol. But also there’s an air of superiority from A24’s horror flicks that may talk down to audiences while Blumhouse horror flicks talk to audiences and talk with them.

I love it all too, but I agree, people want directors/writers to stick to a formula. That Grace chick on YouTube basically said she hated Hereditary because there's a three act formula that it broke, she criticized Get Out for the same reason. I can't imagine only liking films that stick to some prescribed rulebook. Like you're basically saying you don't want any innovation or creativity.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I love it all too, but I agree, people want directors/writers to stick to a formula. That Grace chick on YouTube basically said she hated Hereditary because there's a three act formula that it broke, she criticized Get Out for the same reason. I can't imagine only liking films that stick to some prescribed rulebook. Like you're basically saying you don't want any innovation or creativity.

I listen to Junkfood Cinema, its one of my fav podcasts actually. And the co host wrote Sinister and Dr. Strange. He and Scott Derkison (guy who directed those two flicks) said every movie has to he 90% formula and 10% something audiences have never seen. If you give them too much originality, they turn away from it because they don't understand it and that frightens people (which Fry pointed out in an episode of Futurama) but if you give them too much of the same old shyt, they knock you for giving them the same old shyt. So if you give them 10% originality, that's just enough to make them feel like you're doing some new shyt and laude you as "innovative"

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
First of all, I literally don't know why people listen to this Grace in the first place.

But I think Hereditary has a defined three act structure, the first act though is almost an hour whereas normally the first act is much quicker.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
SHIIT WAS DOPE...

I NOTICED SOME OF THE FOLKS IN THIS THREAD MISSED SOME KEY ELEMENTS THO ..

1.YES, CHARLIE WAS PAIMON’S HOST FROM THE DAY SHE WAS BORN, UP UNTIL THE POINT SHE WAS BEHEADED.

2.THE BEHEADING OF CHARLIE WAS AN INTENTIONAL ACT, HENCE THE DEMONIC SYMBOL ON THE POLE THAT DECAPITATED HER.

3.THE GRANDMA’S ORIGINAL INTENTION WAS TO HAVE HER SON BE THE HOST FOR PAIMON, BUT HE KILLED HIMSELF.. SHE THEN WANTED TO USE PETER, BUT PETER WAS KEPT AWAY FROM HER .. SHE WAS FINALLY ABLE TO RAISE CHARLIE AND EVEN WENT AS FAR AS BREASTFEEDING HER, SO SHE USED CHARLIE AS THE ORIGINAL HOST, BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY. THE DAD WASN’T A VIABLE HOST, BECAUSE THERE HAS TO BE RELATION TO THE GRANDMA (HENCE THE TITLE “HEREDITARY”)

4.NOTHING ANYONE COULDA DONE WOULDA CHANGED THE OUTCOME- THE FAMILIES FATE WAS SEALED. THE MODELS WERE USED AS SYMBOLISM- THE CULT WAS BASICALLY MONITORING THE FAMILY THE ENTIRE TIME, GIVING THE FEEL OF THEM BEING THE MODEL. ALSO, THEY WERE BEING MANIPULATED AS PUPPETS ALA HOW ONE WOULD MANIPULATE THE FIGURES WITHIN A MODEL. THE MODELS WERE SIMPLY A METAPHOR FOR THEM.

5.THE REASON PETER WAS GETTING FUCCED WIT FOR THE ENTIRE MOVIE WAS BECAUSE PAIMON WAS SAID TO NEED A VULNERABLE VESSEL TO POSSESS. SO THEY BROKE PETER DOWN UNTIL HE WAS MENTALLY DEPLETED, WHICH WAS BASICALLY PREPARATION FOR THE POSSESSION.

Last edited:
Daps
For real! :yes:

I guess people were bothered by how abruptly it ended. :manny:
Again rosemarys baby lol. That shyt gets to a point and just ends. She’s looking in the bassinet and the credits roll
I thought it didn't end abruptly enough. Go figure.

:manny:

The heavy exposition in the third act took away from the storytelling - we didn't need to be told. If we got the original cut (the version has 30 more scenes and is three hours long, which I gather would've made the transitions more seamless), and it ended on a similar note to Kill List, it probably would've been close to a 10.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
SHIIT WAS DOPE...

1.YES, CHARLIE WAS PAIMON’S HOST FROM THE DAY SHE WAS BORN, UP UNTIL THE POINT SHE WAS BEHEADED.

2.THE BEHEADING OF CHARLIE WAS AN INTENTIONAL ACT, HENCE THE DEMONIC SYMBOL ON THE POLE THAT DECAPITATED HER.

3.THE GRANDMA’S ORIGINAL INTENTION WAS TO HAVE HER SON BE THE HOST FOR PAIMON, BUT HE KILLED HIMSELF.. SHE THEN WANTED TO USE PETER, BUT PETER WAS KEPT AWAY FROM HER .. SHE WAS FINALLY ABLE TO RAISE CHARLIE AND EVEN WENT AS FAR AS BREASTFEEDING HER, SO SHE USED CHARLIE WAS THE ORIGINAL HOST, BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY. THE DAD WASN’T A VIABALE HOST, BECAUSE THERE HAS TO BE RELATION TO THE GRANDMA (HENCE THE TITLE “HEREDITARY”)

4.NOTHING ANYONE COULDA DONE WOULDA CHANGED THE OUTCOME- THE FAMILIES FATE WAS SEALED. THE MODELS WERE USED AS SYMBOLISM- THE CULT WAS BASICALLY MONITORING THE FAMILY THE ENTIRE TIME, GIVING THE FEEL OF THEM BEING THE MODEL. ALSO, THEY WERE BEING MANIPULATED AS PUPPETS ALA HOW ONE WOULD MANIPULATE THE FIGURES WITHIN A MODEL. THE MODELS WERE SIMPLY A METAPHOR FOR THEM.

5.THE REASON PETER WAS GETTING FUCCED WIT FOR THE ENTIRE MOVIE WAS BECAUSE PAIMON WAS SAID TO NEED A VULNERABLE VESSEL TO POSSESS. SO THEY BROKE PETER DOWN UNTIL HE WAS MENTALLY DEPLETED, WHICH WAS BASICALLY PREPARATION FOR THE POSSESSION.

Didn’t miss any of the that homie

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
something no one has caught is how the film hinted that the mother wanted to run the son over in that scene where he came home and stood in front of the door for a few seconds and then it showed her turn the car on and drive off.

Yes! I forgot about that, but when that scene happened, I thought she was really gonna try it, or that it was foreshadowing of something she would do later. That was so fukking unsettling. She was just sitting in the car watching him and I'm not sure he even saw her.

SHIIT WAS DOPE...

3.THE GRANDMA’S ORIGINAL INTENTION WAS TO HAVE HER SON BE THE HOST FOR PAIMON, BUT HE KILLED HIMSELF.. SHE THEN WANTED TO USE PETER, BUT PETER WAS KEPT AWAY FROM HER .. SHE WAS FINALLY ABLE TO RAISE CHARLIE AND EVEN WENT AS FAR AS BREASTFEEDING HER, SO SHE USED CHARLIE WAS THE ORIGINAL HOST, BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY. THE DAD WASN’T A VIABALE HOST, BECAUSE THERE HAS TO BE RELATION TO THE GRANDMA (HENCE THE TITLE “HEREDITARY”)

Good catches, I think some of the critics who said that the film didn't make sense didn't connect these dots.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
First of all, I literally don't know why people listen to this Grace in the first place.

But I think Hereditary has a defined three act structure, the first act though is almost an hour whereas normally the first act is much quicker.

Yeah, that's what I didn't get about her review. It think she means it wasn't structured well and that the first act went on too long and the third one was ridiculous. Her critique didn't make sense. I think people hate-watch her reviews tbh.

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
something no one has caught is how the film hinted that the mother wanted to run the son over in that scene where he came home and stood in front of the door for a few seconds and then it showed her turn the car on and drive off.

I didn’t get that from the scene at all. I didn’t even think the car was started until after he left. I got she was sitting theee waiting to go in but once he came in the house, she couldn’t take it and end up leaving....

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
G
I like the movie but the common sense holes were abundant.....

How could they coordunate the decapitation?

Who the hell lives in a secluded area without a security system and cameras?