Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
This movie was fukked up. :merchant::hubie:

Dude actually drove home and let the mother discover it the next morning. :picard::gucci: I understand dude was in shock, but still.

That imagery in the upper corner of the room. :hubie:

The last half hour of the movie was straight up :demonic::demonic:.:whoa:

When dude got chased up into the attic. :damn:

It's been a long time since a movie creeped me out like that.

Had me laying in bed like :unsure:

I seen two couples walk out during the movie I guess cos they thought it was slow moving. It's not a trash film like some posters are making it out to be. It's better than The Witch which this movie bears a lot of similarities with.

Last edited:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I also realized this morning (ya this shyts stuck with me now :sadbron:) there's a few solid parallels to one of the creepiest movies of my childhood, Pet Cemetary. Between the child accident scenes (mack truck vs. telephone pole), the severe shock and trauma that the family members (and the viewer) share immediately after (similar gut wrenching funeral scenes) and then the parents inability to cope with the death leading to delusions and downright demonic actions taken to bring their child back :damn:.

Spoiler: It's never your child:demonic:

I also couldn't help but chuckle to myself during the scene where her husband walks in on her recreating the accident scene. When he asked her what the fukk her problem is and she replied
:ld:"What? It's a neutral interpretation of what happened...":manny:

It forced me to realize this movie's heart was made of black tar:merchant:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So this was intense. Saw it last night and didn't know what to expect going in since I wanted to know as little as possible. Most horror movies work by building up tension and then having a release. This shyt was just a constant build of tension and that was that. Everything is ratcheted up to the last 30 min and it was just crazy at that point. Great acting and just an ominous feel the entire way. Loved the misdirections, loved the slow build, and just the relentless dread throughout the whole flick

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
Yeah went with my mom to watch this yesterday and :whew:

The cinematography and Toni Collette's performance were A+ status :wow:

The horror aspect of the film was solid. No jump scares but a movie that builds up so much tension with such a creepy vibe is a better horror film for me.

The ending didn't bother me as much as some of the other posters in here tbh :manny:

I like that it left me thinking a lot so it had that going for it even though myself and my mom figured it out as we started dissecting it afterwards.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah went with my mom to watch this yesterday and :whew:

The cinematography and Toni Collette's performance were A+ status :wow:

The horror aspect of the film was solid. No jump scares but a movie that builds up so much tension with such a creepy vibe is a better horror film for me.

The ending didn't bother me as much as some of the other posters in here tbh :manny:

I like that it left me thinking a lot so it had that going for it even though myself and my mom figured it out as we started dissecting it afterwards.

Ending is dope. Doesn't bother me at all. I mean, I can't be the only one who saw Rosemary's Baby

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
So this was intense. Saw it last night and didn't know what to expect going in since I wanted to know as little as possible. Most horror movies work by building up tension and then having a release. This shyt was just a constant build of tension and that was that. Everything is ratcheted up to the last 30 min and it was just crazy at that point. Great acting and just an ominous feel the entire way. Loved the misdirections, loved the slow build, and just the relentless dread throughout the whole flick
8 day later it has still stuck with me.

read ths yesterday

Can Horror Movies Be Prestigious?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
8 day later it has still stuck with me.

read ths yesterday

Can Horror Movies Be Prestigious?

That feels like a question a bill Simmons fronted organization would ask. Silence of the lambs won best picture and swept the oscars. The exorcist was nominated for best picture and a slew of other awards. Yes horror can be prestigious :russ:

That’s like me asking if video games can be dramatic storytelling devices and ignoring everything naughty dog has done for the past decade

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
That feels like a question a bill Simmons fronted organization would ask. Silence of the lambs won best picture and swept the oscars. The exorcist was nominated for best picture and a slew of other awards. Yes horror can be prestigious :russ:

That’s like me asking if video games can be dramatic storytelling devices and ignoring everything naughty dog has done for the past decade
Had to take some shots huh? :francis:

People keep pointing to SOTL as if it's not an anomaly.

we were 5 and 6 years old when it came out.

it was damn near shocking Get Out got nominated.

I've enjoyed the run of indie horror since 2014 a lot. It really got me back into it.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Had to take some shots huh? :francis:

People keep pointing to SOTL as if it's not an anomaly.

we were 5 and 6 years old when it came out.

it was damn near shocking Get Out got nominated.

I've enjoyed the run of indie horror since 2014 a lot. It really got me back into it.

Indie horror is fine but studio horror has been great for some time too. A lot of culture writers turn their noses up at that shyt tho and miss it so they ignore the conjuring and everything James wan has done for a decade or ignore the work Jason Blum has been doing with universal. Horror has been great for this entire decade and really has been booming since 9/11 for obvious reasons.

Silence of the lambs is an anomaly yeah but it also answered that question years ago. As did the exorcist years before that. As did jaws a few years before that. Plenty of 70s horror flicks were prestige. The omen, don’t look now, the exorcist, and rosemarys baby off the top of my head. Now whether all these nominated movies take home the big prize is the question and the issue but horror has been prestige for quite some time.

Sigourney weavers oscar comes from Aliens. I mean what’s more prestige than that?

Im a horror geek, and I’m sure joe lynch and Adam green talked about this on the movie crypt once or twice, the idea that only a specific type of indie horror can only be recognized as prestigious or award worthy makes me roll my eyes lol. Especially since most if not all horror is independent.

And that’s no diss to you at all just a diss to people who write that type of shyt or talk about “elevated horror.” Nah if they’re now down with the whole genre don’t try to peek in or crack a door to tell me these movies over here are better than what I’m watching because it fits your sensibilities more, so much so that it has to be labeled above the genre

Last edited: