Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
THAT shyt :lupe: :damn:

That shot right there deserves an Oscar nomination.

And the fact they held onto the shot for a good 2 minutes...but it felt like forever because you were EXPECTING her to jump at him. But she didn’t..she just chilled there...waiting...like a hawk watching it’s prey. And every second ticked by you just got more uncomfortable.

When i first saw it i saw her instantly when it cut to her and said “Hold up..I’m i seeing shyt :gucci:? “. Then within seconds the entire audience went :damn: :whoo::ooh::lupe::dahell:

When it comes to the movie itself. It dragged. Not in a bad way either. It was a certain drag that was uncomfortable because you knew shyt wasn’t right. And u knew she was gonna go left REAL quick. U just didn’t know when. But i like that :youngsabo:

Now i do have some quipes with it tho

The thing that threw me off was when Peter accidentally killing Charlie and him just taking the body back to the house the same way Ice Cube and Cuba took Ricky’s body back to his mama’s in Boyz N The Hood. Why didn’t you just call 911?

Now i get it wanted it’s shock value. Trust me i get it. But for the son just to casually go home and wait for his mom too see it the next morning was sick. Like “What the fukk is wrong with you :wtf:

Then another thing that kinda took me out of it was when Joan showed up and just casually convinced her to go to her house to that ouiji board shyt. Like she BARELY knows the chick and she just trusts her enough to go to the house. And then actually LISTENING to her and casting that spell in her OWN house was like :mindblown:

Idk kinda felt like lazy writing to push the story forward but i didn’t mind it too much

Overall i won’t be surprised if this gets nominated for an Oscar next year for “Best Picture.”

I really like your comments, but I disagree about the Peter scene.

There's a few ways you could look at the scene where he takes Charlie's body back home.

1. What's done is done, and going to the police or hospital wouldn't bring her back, he knew she was dead.

2. He's still angry/bitter with his mom and wanted her to see what he'd done, even if it was subconsciously.

3. The movie kinda hints that there's a bit of darkness/madness that's been passed down and Peter isn't exempt from that. This could be a clear sign that he's a good vessel for Paimon later.

4. I honestly think that the movie's meta message is meant to hint that a lot of the stuff that happened was already outside of their control. That whatever the grandmother had started, they were all puppets in the show. Peter's 'sacrifice' of Charlie was just another movement towards the inevitable.

Regardless, I don't think it was lazy writing but very intentional.

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
Was planning on watching this - this past weekend - but changed my mind once I saw it being compared to It Comes At Night. Now I do like The Witch comparisons but ICAN was such a terrible move — well good movie that was just executed terribly. I digress but is this worth watching?

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
I really like your comments, but I disagree about the Peter scene.

There's a few ways you could look at the scene where he takes Charlie's body back home.

1. What's done is done, and going to the police or hospital wouldn't bring her back, he knew she was dead.

2. He's still angry/bitter with his mom and wanted her to see what he'd done, even if it was subconsciously.

3. The movie kinda hints that there's a bit of darkness/madness that's been passed down and Peter isn't exempt from that. This could be a clear sign that he's a good vessel for Paimon later.

4. I honestly think that the movie's meta message is meant to hint that a lot of the stuff that happened was already outside of their control. That whatever the grandmother had started, they were all puppets in the show. Peter's 'sacrifice' of Charlie was just another movement towards the inevitable.

Regardless, I don't think it was lazy writing but very intentional.

Oh trust me i get that entire concept. But for whatever reason it took me out of it. Like i completely understand what the intention was. But then i just thought to myself “fukking white people:francis:

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Was planning on watching this - this past weekend - but changed my mind once I saw it being compared to It Comes At Night. Now I do like The Witch comparisons but ICAN was such a terrible move — well good movie that was just executed terribly. I digress but is this worth watching?
I don’t regret watching it but I saw it on a Saturday morning for $6 so :yeshrug:

I haven’t seen it comes at night but did read the plot and I still haven’t watched The Witch.

My advice is just keep your expectations in check. It has some disturbing moments sure, but outside of one scene towards the end, none of the horror elements really stuck with me and I enjoyed the drama aspects of the film more.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
So I saw this movie and I am going to say this movie was not scary or disturbing and I am not even a horror fan.

I really have to :martin: at one breh in this thread talking about "disturbing scenes that will stick with you"

:comeon:

That said, I give this movie a strong 7/10, because of Toni Collette, ol'girl can act her fukken ass off. I really hope she gets an Oscar nom because she really deserves it. I love how this movie was shot, the cinematography was phenomenal.

Ok on to the story, how the fukk is that son even related to the two blue eye parents? I was really waiting for them to say he was adopted from India or some shyt. :lolbron: That mole was distracting as fukk.

Can someone explain to me why she was doing miniatures of events in her life? Like the lamp pole where her daughter was killed? Her mother in a hospital room? Especially since she had a deadline with the gallery to finish the miniature for them?

Would I see this movie again? No I would not. :manny:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I saw this today. I kinda enjoyed it, although I won’t lie and say I didn’t leave there like :gucci:at the ending.
I was more into the idea of a horror movie about a fukked up family dealing with the effects of generations gone by than going all in with the witchcraft/demonic shyt. When I saw the necklace on the grandmothers neck I knew what time it was. It made sense to the story they told but it just felt like it made the movie generic I guess. It felt like the later Paranormal Activites by the end of it. The cast put in work though, namely Toni Collette who anchored this movie. You felt her grief at losing Charlie (which actually disturbed me, the pain she was in was so palpable and her cries so anguished it shook me for a minute) yet just as quick she was able to transform into a monster at times, with just about every interaction with Peter feeling like anything could jump off at any given time. That underlying tension between them was built well, especially since neither really interacted until the dinner scene. When she laid into him it felt genuine and even understandable, yet you still had to go like :picard: because that was still her son. The movie goes totally off the rails by the end, which made me think of mother! Where shyt seemed off the entire runtime but they especially double down on the insanity in the last 30 or so minutes and it goes all the way down the rabbit hole. In the same aspect as mother! Though while this was well acted, shot, fundamentally fine, etc. it’s probably something I’ll never watch again even though it’s the kind of film you watch a few times to pick up the little things and explore some of the themes. There were some great shots throughout and some genuinely shocking moments (Charlie dying being up there) but I have no desire to see it again.
What might’ve effected my opinion of the film was the audience and how annoying they were at my showtime. For films, generally audiences don’t mean much to me unless they add to the film by reacting befitting the scene or whatever. But this time man, all these wanna be cool guys yelling out at the screen with quips and jokes, a lot of snickering and laughing at inappropriate times (though there were a few unintentional/understated comedic moments) and a whole group of annoying motherfukkers walking by the room twice laughing and having a jolly old time :martin:A film like this I either need complete and total silence or shock and horror. Anything else kills the vibe.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli: shyt was NOT scurry. Wasn't a bad movie but wasn't filled with dread like people been saying either. Double toasted review pretty much sums up how I feel

On a side note. Horror is my favorite genre but every time one of these Scooby Doo supernatural flicks come out I always get reminded of how white people be over exaggerating and be jumping at their own shadows. They could make a full horror movie about making the wrong turn in the hood, seeing nikkas posted up on the block, and realizing they the only cacs within a 5 mile radius :mjlol:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I saw this today. I kinda enjoyed it, although I won’t lie and say I didn’t leave there like :gucci:at the ending.
I was more into the idea of a horror movie about a fukked up family dealing with the effects of generations gone by than going all in with the witchcraft/demonic shyt. When I saw the necklace on the grandmothers neck I knew what time it was. It made sense to the story they told but it just felt like it made the movie generic I guess. It felt like the later Paranormal Activites by the end of it. The cast put in work though, namely Toni Collette who anchored this movie. You felt her grief at losing Charlie (which actually disturbed me, the pain she was in was so palpable and her cries so anguished it shook me for a minute) yet just as quick she was able to transform into a monster at times, with just about every interaction with Peter feeling like anything could jump off at any given time. That underlying tension between them was built well, especially since neither really interacted until the dinner scene. When she laid into him it felt genuine and even understandable, yet you still had to go like :picard: because that was still her son. The movie goes totally off the rails by the end, which made me think of mother! Where shyt seemed off the entire runtime but they especially double down on the insanity in the last 30 or so minutes and it goes all the way down the rabbit hole. In the same aspect as mother! Though while this was well acted, shot, fundamentally fine, etc. it’s probably something I’ll never watch again even though it’s the kind of film you watch a few times to pick up the little things and explore some of the themes. There were some great shots throughout and some genuinely shocking moments (Charlie dying being up there) but I have no desire to see it again.
What might’ve effected my opinion of the film was the audience and how annoying they were at my showtime. For films, generally audiences don’t mean much to me unless they add to the film by reacting befitting the scene or whatever. But this time man, all these wanna be cool guys yelling out at the screen with quips and jokes, a lot of snickering and laughing at inappropriate times (though there were a few unintentional/understated comedic moments) and a whole group of annoying motherfukkers walking by the room twice laughing and having a jolly old time :martin:A film like this I either need complete and total silence or shock and horror. Anything else kills the vibe.

You're definitely right about the audience affecting the impact. My audience was silent and tense AF and it really added something to it.

For people who may not get the ending, this is one of the best break down discussions about the movie.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang

I agree. There was some old guy with some sort of breathing device that would make a soft "whoosh" type noise ever so often when I watched the movie. I was annoyed with that shyt but got used to it, felt bad for the wife who has to listen to that all the time. You really roll the dice with what audience you will get.

ETA: Thanks brehs for posting the links explaining this movie. I have to say now I really like this movie and increase my rating to 9/10 and I am glad I watched it. Reviewers did this movie a great disservice by saying "scariest movie of all time", "what scarier than scary?"

I recommend this movie now. Lol.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I scared some of the movie goers sitting near me cause I'd do that clicking shyt charlie was doing during some of the tenser moments...had them thinking it was the film :lolbron:

Negged

And if you were in my theater,I would have turned around and told you to SHUT THE fukk UP which is exactly what I did to some teenage fakkit doing that same shyt

Grow up, everybody spent money to go, keep your lame shyt to yourself