Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I gotta say, it isn't as "deeply terrifying" as all the hype claims because there is just too much supernatural shyt. I can't feel a deep sense of dread about that stuff. Reviews make it seem like its more grounded in reality.

The first half certaily was, but the supernatural deflates it.

I still give it a 7 or 8 after marinating for a night, but it didn't strike a lasting chord like I was hoping it would

BooksnCookies

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MaizenBlue
I gotta say, it isn't as "deeply terrifying" as all the hype claims because there is just too much supernatural shyt. I can't feel a deep sense of dread about that stuff. Reviews make it seem like its more grounded in reality.

The first half certaily was, but the supernatural deflates it.

I still give it a 7 or 8 after marinating for a night, but it didn't strike a lasting chord like I was hoping it would

I agree. I think that confirmation of the supernatural kinda ruined this movie a bit for me. Part 1 had the intrigue and suspense and Part 2 kinda felt like "oh. of course".

Maybe y'all can answer this:

1.Was Charly Paimon the ENTIRE time? I thought it was telling that the mother kept her firstborn away, but when she decided to let the grandmother into their lives, the grandmother was the one "feeding" Charly either physically (as referenced by the miniature version of the mother, Charly, and the grandmother) AND maybe spiritually as Charly was so close to the grandmother.

2. I guess this goes back to #1, did Charly blame Peter for her death? Was all that evil shyt HER doing to get back at him. Like how did she automatically know to enter his vessel when he died? If they needed a perfect male body for Paimon, why spend ALL of that time having Peter fukk himself up?

3. Are we to assume that while satanic shyt was going on, that a lot of what went down with the mother and her relationship with the grandmother, was mental. "Hereditary" in that the mother's own demons (inherited from her father and mother which affected her brother) drove her to be susceptible to the demonic ish. Two, maybe her mother was involved in evil stuff even before her birth (she wore Paimon's symbol) when she gave birth to Charly, the mother acted as a conduit.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The guy walked out I'm assuming because of some nasty shyt?.....there's nothing scary to me about that.

Would you say this is scarier than the witch and babadook?
There was nothing scary about The Witch or The Babadook.
And Hereditary isn't all that scary either. It has a few jump scares and the final act is more straightforward horror than A24 usually does but it's not scary. I'd say it has a more unsettling vibe throughout.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I agree. I think that confirmation of the supernatural kinda ruined this movie a bit for me. Part 1 had the intrigue and suspense and Part 2 kinda felt like "oh. of course".

1.Was Charly Paimon the ENTIRE time? I thought it was telling that the mother kept her firstborn away, but when she decided to let the grandmother into their lives, the grandmother was the one "feeding" Charly either physically (as referenced by the miniature version of the mother, Charly, and the grandmother) AND maybe spiritually as Charly was so close to the grandmother.

2. I guess this goes back to #1, did Charly blame Peter for her death? Was all that evil shyt HER doing to get back at him. Like how did she automatically know to enter his vessel when he died? If they needed a perfect male body for Paimon, why spend ALL of that time having Peter fukk himself up?

3. Are we to assume that while satanic shyt was going on, that a lot of what went down with the mother and her relationship with the grandmother, was mental. "Hereditary" in that the mother's own demons (inherited from her father and mother which affected her brother) drove her to be susceptible to the demonic ish. Two, maybe her mother was involved in evil stuff even before her birth (she wore Paimon's symbol) when she gave birth to Charly, the mother acted as a conduit.
1. I think Charly was being groomed from the jump by granny just based off that line Charly said to her mom about how granny told Charly that she should have been a boy. So granny was probably going to do some supernatural bullshyt to put Charly in Peter's body at some point but she got dementia and then died before she could pull the trigger on the plan.

2. I assumed that Charly's spirit was being guided by granny's spirit but that all the fukked up shyt that was being done to Peter was granny and not Charly.

3. Granny was likely already insane but a lot of the diagnoses she was given were based on people just not understanding that all the wacky shyt she was saying and doing was actually real. Like when Annie was telling the grief group about all the family tragedies she has experienced and was talking about her brother being a schizophrenic and killing himself because he said their mother was trying to put people inside of him. So granny was doing supernatural bullshyt to her family for years as part of that Paimon cult. Remember the pictures of granny and Joan in the photo album and the earliest pics showed the two of them as young women.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Only thing keeping me from calling this trash are the performances in the movie, particularly Toni Collette and Alex Wolff (the son).

I didn’t think it was scary and I’m a self admitted wimp when it comes to horror movies.

It’s more of a drama with supernatural/horror elements.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

1. Yes, Charlie was Paimon. I'm convinced and no one can tell me differently. She had all the gifts of Paimon (I read up on this shyt because it was bugging me). She was artistic and obsessed with birds, which is one of Paimon's presentations. I also think the mother had a little Paimon in her as well. That's the thing both Charlie and her mom had bits of Paimon but he couldn't fully consume them because of their inadequate forms (female), which is why the grandma kept trying to put the demon in the males in her life (see how her husband and son died horribly, and she forced her daughter to keep her son).

2. I think she did. As for your second question, that's a good one. Not sure unless like you said there was just enough of Charlie there to steer the plan off course.

3. I think it was both/and and we'll never know which one was more prominent, which is why the title is so cool. It could be mental illness brought on by the occult stuff or maybe both, or maybe it's just the occult stuff and it looks like mental illness from the outside. I do think the mother was involved in it more than we know, and perhaps even ore than she knows. I think she did a lot of stuff in this movie while sleep walking.

Only thing keeping me from calling this trash are the performances in the movie, particularly Toni Collette and Alex Wolff (the son).

I didn’t think it was scary and I’m a self admitted wimp when it comes to horror movies.

It’s more of a drama with supernatural/horror elements.

The more I think about it, the more I think this wasn't not supposed to be scary in the traditional sense. The comparisons to The Exorcist are spot on. There's a specific genre of horror that focuses more on the demonic and possession and the idea that there are demons are supposed to be scary in itself. If you watch The Exorcist, it's not really scary at all. It's disturbing, which is what this movie is really.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
thought it was okay...Didn't expect what happened.

Thought they'd keep the lil girl till the end...didn't think they'd (literally) off her in the beginning. Trailers made me think it'd be more of a horror flick...this was more of a slow burn suspense.

but :picard::russ: @ the scene when Moms telling pete she ain't wanna have him..and she did everything to try and stop it.

story got kinda convoluted towards the end, but as an interesting ending

was it just me or was pops' accent going in and out?

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
thought it was okay...Didn't expect what happened.

Thought they'd keep the lil girl till the end...didn't think they'd (literally) off her in the beginning. Trailers made me think it'd be more of a horror flick...this was more of a slow burn suspense.

but :picard::russ: @ the scene when Moms telling pete she ain't wanna have him..and she did everything to try and stop it.

story got kinda convoluted towards the end, but as an interesting ending

was it just me or was pops' accent going in and out?
Nah, I noticed too. After the scene when he saw her recreating the accident it was like he said fukk it with the accent.