Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I thought it was OK.
I agree with the consensus that Toni Collette was amazing.
I liked the slow burn feel of the majority of the movie.
That little girl who played the daughter pulled off being creepy like a pro.
The use of music to increase tension and the way a lot of the shots were framed to mimic the way one would view one of those dollhouses that were littered all over the place was pretty cool.
And the total sens of unease that the film had for about 90 minutes of its 2 hour and change running time was well done.

I didn't like that they overused the same slow camera pan-to a still shot-to a slow zoom move that all of the horror movies of the past 5 years have been using. It is especially overdone with these so-called "elevated" horror films.
The actual plot was cheesy as fukk when you remove all the prestige dressing and get right to the bare bones of the movie.
The hard pivot from slow burn psychological horror to full blown Paranormal Activity style scary movie was a bit jarring.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I didn't sleep well last night. Hubby slept like a rock though, so I guess different strokes for different folks. But since I was up all night I have theories and even more questions now.

1) Was Charlie's decapitation orchestrated by the cult? Like that animal in the road could have been placed there. Matter of fact, why would the mother force a little girl to go to a party like that with no Epi-Pen? Also, do you think that peanut butter chocolate cake was put there? Like how deep does this really go?

2) I'm asking that because the mother is wearing that same necklace as the grandmother, which is the same symbol that was over the ritual set up in the attic. Also, if you notice in the first English class that Peter is in, they are discussing tragedy and whether people who die of their own free will/choice are more tragic than those who were fated to die anyway. There's also the reoccurring them of puppets/dolls, which also figures into another classroom discussion about fate playing people like puppets/pawn, which has to be related to the mother's job/hobby of dollhouse making. Were they all just being manipulated by the grandmother all along?

3) This raises the question of just how involved the mother is. First she mentions that her mother only pretty much came into her life when she had children, and forced her to keep Peter. Then we learn she tried to kill Peter in her sleep. I think that's significant because people say and do things in their sleep that are manifestation of their unconscious desires. Maybe deep down she knew Peter was there for another reason but when she was awake she felt restrained to think about it. Also, when Charlie dies, the mother is shown in kneeling position crying. She keeps falling and bowing. At first this looks like regular grief but then we see the position she ends up in when she dies. That can't be coincidence. Was she mourning the death of Charlie, or something else (that hell King that occupied Charlie's body). There's also the fact that we only see her going to two group meetings and one of them she doesn't even go inside. But when the father confronts the mother about "all those times you said you were at the movies" and accuses her of digging up her mother's body, it doesn't add up. Has she been going out and using the movies as an excuse for other things besides that group therapy? How did the mother get up in the attic. No one has a key to the house outside of the family. So yeah I think she was doing more than the audience and even herself realized.

4) Charlie- weird fukking kid. Maybe because she was never a kid. All that time she may have just be a host for the demon the grandmother conjured up. The cutting off of the bird's head, and the twisted drawings. Do you think Charlie orchestrated her death? lol. I mean she knew she had a peanut allergy and she sat there and ate a peanut butter chocolate cake, and then she goes and makes some weird tin figure and waits until she's gasping. Sticking her head out of the window at the right time. I don't know man.

That's all I got for now, but this movie is really sticking with me. I think the most disturbing scene for me was Peter just driving home with his sister's head dangling off and parking like that, and then waiting for his mother to find it. That was so fukked up.

Last edited:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
One that expects a film billed as a horror movie to actually be scary? Jump scares can at least make for an entertaining experience when watching with a big audience when the movie is trash. This wasn't my cup of tea.

Edit
What was unsettling about this?
only part that got me was when Charlie got killed
Jump scares are the fart jokes of horror.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
this shyt was crazy as fukk brehs. sat in the car afterwards like five minutes trying to process everything i just saw. lol at the guy who walked out 10 minutes in or whatever. if you can get through it, would definitely recommend.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
this shyt was crazy as fukk brehs. sat in the car afterwards like five minutes trying to process everything i just saw. lol at the guy who walked out 10 minutes in or whatever. if you can get through it, would definitely recommend.
The guy walked out I'm assuming because of some nasty shyt?.....there's nothing scary to me about that.

Would you say this is scarier than the witch and babadook?

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
The guy walked out I'm assuming because of some nasty shyt?.....there's nothing scary to me about that.

Would you say this is scarier than the witch and babadook?
he prb walked out bc he was bored in the beginning bc it takes its time getting started. i haven't seen the babadook but the witch was trash. this is easily better than that. it is like two different movies though, the first half or first two-thirds are more psychological/crazy, and then the second half or third is flat-out horror. shyt was insane at times, anchored by toni collette's performance.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
he prb walked out bc he was bored in the beginning bc it takes its time getting started. i haven't seen the babadook but the witch was trash. this is easily better than that. it is like two different movies though, the first half or first two-thirds are more psychological/crazy, and then the second half or third is flat-out horror. shyt was insane at times, anchored by toni collette's performance.
Aight that's good to hear. Gonna watch on Sunday