Hereditary (2018 Horror Film) Official Thread

Daps
This shyt was tridassshhh!:stopitslime:

No way can this be the same movie that's sitting at 94%.
Both. I avoided the trailer and just went off what I read in thread about how scary it was supposed to be. Joint wasn't scary at all. Not even jump scares.
:picard:

Oh, so you're one of those people....

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Both. I avoided the trailer and just went off what I read in thread about how scary it was supposed to be. Joint wasn't scary at all. Not even jump scares.
It is definitely not a scary movie. Unsettling, yes. A bit disturbing in some spots. Not scary though.

It reminded me of final 1/3rd of mother! in the type of "horror" it was

I think that this is a movie that needs to be watched ALONE in the dark for best experience. Giggling little a$$holes in the theater ruin the tension

Prelimimary score 8/10

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
:picard:

Oh, so you're one of those people....
One that expects a film billed as a horror movie to actually be scary? Jump scares can at least make for an entertaining experience when watching with a big audience when the movie is trash. This wasn't my cup of tea.

Edit
What was unsettling about this?
only part that got me was when Charlie got killed

Daps
Jesus H. Christ, this was really disturbing. I love how I didn't see a lot of things coming, and how they didn't even use music to prime you to expect things. There were three scenes in particular that shocked the hell out of me. There were a few places it felt like it dragged, but not enough to lose me. I do have some questions about the ending, and I can't wait to see the discussion that takes place about the last 15 minutes.

So not a scary movie, but excellent tension and some really disturbing images that will stick with me for awhile. Not expecting to have pleasant dreams tonight.

9 out of 10 for being very different and interesting and crazy, which was really refreshing.
I lost my breath in the theatre with the transition of the mother bagging her head, relentlessly, on the trapdoor; to the grinding sound, with her floating in the attic, cutting off her own head with the piano wire (a la Odishon).

full

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Someone laughed and made clicking sounds behind me so I turned around and told him to shut the fukk up.....not a single click after that:laff:

The guy sitting beside me did that and made me jump and huff out a 'motherfukker'

I lost my breath in the theatre with the transition of the mother bagging her head, relentlessly, on the trapdoor; to the grinding sound, with her floating in the attic, cutting off her own head with the piano wire (a la Odishon).

full

That was one of the scenes. I just did not see that coming, which leads to my question. How did she bang her head on the door of the attic and then get inside of it to float up and cut her head off? But yeah, one of the craziest images I've seen on film in a while. Charlie's death also shocked the hell out of me. I just thought she was gonna be a main character throughout. The father bursting into flame surprised me too.

Last edited:
Daps
One that expects a film billed as a horror movie to actually be scary? Jump scares can at least make for an entertaining experience when watching with a big audience when the movie is trash. This wasn't my cup of tea.
Can definitely understand if it wasn't your "cup of tea" (I mentioned in a previous post that I did expect the general public would receive it like previous A24 horrors), but calling it trash is another thing altogether.

:manny:
Edit
What was unsettling about this?
only part that got me was when Charlie got killed
The abrupt nature of her death, certainly when the first act was centralized around her - the audience doesn't see it coming - since we're led to believe the grandmother's actual death is the focal point. Peter's reaction(s) and actions following the event are what makes it unsettling.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
From the posts I'm reading, sounds like this is another witch or babadook. Neither of those films were good to me. Just boring as fukk.

I was hoping this would be some exorcist or shining type shyt

Daystew

Legion of Boom
Daps
Reppin
Lexington, KY
My wife has been having a lot of nightmares since she got pregnant, so she doesn't want to see this and has given me the green light to see it on my own

Going to the 7:00 tonight:wow:

Report coming in t-minus 9 hours.....:wow:

I’m in the exact same situation. My wife is 6 months pregnant and I can’t even get her to watch the trailer for this or the new Suspiria.

Daps
That was one of the scenes. I just did not see that coming, which leads to my question. How did she bang her head on the door of the attic and then get inside of it to float up and cut her head off? But yeah, one of the craziest images I've seen on film in a while. Charlie's death also shocked the hell out of me. I just thought she was gonna be a main character throughout. The father bursting into flame surprised me too.
It was just another layer of its supernatural lining, as we had already seen her appear out of nowhere, crawling around the walls/ceiling. On that note, I was ready to be let down, post-séance at Joan's apartment - at that point, I thought we're headed down the same ole generic paranormal path - little did I know what was to come.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
From the posts I'm reading, sounds like this is another witch or babadook. Neither of those films were good to me. Just boring as fukk.

Witch got disturbing at the very end of the movie; babadook I thought was silly as fukk and not in a good way. I may catch this a matinee then.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Witch was fukking :trash:

If this is in a similar vein :fukkit:

Daps

:patrice:

The VVitch and The Shining are strikingly similar, though, considering the latter heavily-influenced the former.
Let’s start with The Shining. There are a few similarities here. A few on the surface and a few that are a little buried. Both films are about families under assault by a supernatural threat that ultimately tears them apart. Was this similarity something you actively thought about while making The Witch or am I just jumping to conclusions here?

It’s a little bit of both. Honestly, my horror movie appreciation is a little weird. I like Hammer horror movies and I like the Universal stuff. That’s the kind of stuff I could deal with as a kid because anything else was too scary. I look at it sort of nostalgically. I don’t covet bad movies like a lot of people who are really into genre. I just don’t care!

The Shining is one of the few classic horror movies that always scared me and really always worked. When I first started making films, short films, it was a film that I watched a lot and tried to dissect until it wasn’t scary anymore. It took a lot of watchings to do do that. When I watch The Witch, sometimes I’m a little disgusted by how much of my film flagrantly reeks of The Shining. At the same time, I will admit that if it wasn’t for that, I don’t think the film would be working for people at all.
Witch was fukking :trash:

If this is in a similar vein :fukkit:
It's a modern-day classic.

giphy.gif

It all depends on what you didn't like about it because although Hereditary is similar in tone/pace, it's A LOT more accessible.