Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
I actually read Heat 2 the novel

can type up some thoughts if any is interested.

yeah what happened? i wonder if the new heat remake(hopefully the dont remake it ) will have this some this story?

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I read A LOT, and I read literature, fiction/non fiction, women's lit, true crime, drama, essay collections

Heat 2 was written in collaboration with a genre fiction writer, and it shows, which is to me, a regrettable thing, but probably a necessary one to get it published. Genre fiction, in this case, action/adventure genre fiction is heavy on action and low on much else.

Where it really excels is in Michael Mann's attention to detail, and knowledge of criminal worlds, most of which work, and some don't. His locales and details are all on display here, and some passages of the 400 page plus novel read better than others.

The parts that work are thrilling and dark and just FUN to read about the characters, the parts that don't work are too far into unrealistic to take seriously. The parts that are fun but unrealistic work (criminal Thai triads in Ciudad Del Este) aren't awful to read, but slip into cliches, and Mann specific cliches, like the affair between outsider and Asian prodigal daughter/businesswoman, which is right out of Miami Vice (2006).

It's a worthwhile read if you love Heat, and don't mind genre fiction, is the takeaway. For a real review, I would say a C-, too many cliches, absurd plot points, some uncomfortable and needless rape scenes, macho action scenes.

Here's the real point, if it was a movie, I would love to watch, but it would be Blackhat 2, and not Heat.

Hostile

All Star
Daps
i trust this guy so watch the review

He's right. The 4k HDR is darker. But as he said, most HDR releases are. He's not a big fan of HDR. This isn't a Top Gun 4k color tone problem which is straight up awful.

Hostile

All Star
Daps
To me the blu ray looks cleaner (based on screenshots).. that was also from a 4k transfer just scaled down some.
Details are much better on the 4K HDR. The previous 4k mastered blu ray just has less visible film grain.

Last edited:

jimbean

Pro
Daps
Neil: dead
Vincent: long since retired, should be dead by now
Chris: new identity, left his wife and kid behind and drove off to Bolivian
Michael: dead
Trejo: dead
Waingro: dead

WTF is Heat 2 about? with who? Their kids? Chris comes back to avenge the crew?

:what:

it's a prequel

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
it's a prequel
So Vincent as a hot dog Marine
Neal and Chris in Lompoc where some guy tells them "walk away in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner"
Michael calling Tone Loc "Slick" in lock up and showing off his peacock tat
How Tone Loc's brother ended up with a substance abuse problem, subsequently opened a chop shop, and became a CI
Natalie Portman as a baby while her dad goes to the store for cigs and never comes back

Yeah I'm good

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Neil: dead
Vincent: long since retired, should be dead by now
Chris: new identity, left his wife and kid behind and drove off to Bolivian
Michael: dead
Trejo: dead
Waingro: dead

WTF is Heat 2 about? with who? Their kids? Chris comes back to avenge the crew?

:what:
Prequel with Irishman level de-aging CGI