Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
The mini series was good
only grief is the lack of depiction of the school segregation angle
yeah
as i was watching this i was wondering "what about the schools?"
i guess it might have been too much to include in there with all of what was going on in the show
theres so much i wanna get into with this (being someone who was raised in the projects) this was just a real good series imo

DLeap

Coli TV/Film Expert
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
I enjoyed the mini-series, but I do agree with some criticism that it could have also made just a good 2-hour movie instead of the 6 hour episodes. Some of the subtlety would have been lost but it would have been more accessible for many people to see this story of racism and segregation (that still happens today).

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I enjoyed the mini-series, but I do agree with some criticism that it could have also made just a good 2-hour movie instead of the 6 hour episodes. Some of the subtlety would have been lost but it would have been more accessible for many people to see this story of racism and segregation (that still happens today).

I actually would have went the other way and made a 12 episode series, because the layers and moving parts were just so intricate, I actually think they missed some things.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
What!? They nominated the mayor for a jfk courage award!? :mindblown:

I said this same shyt in HL when the Michigan bar reversed their decision to give an award to a white supremacist

That "now congratulate me for doing what's right" is that BS liberal social progressivism that describes that entire democratic council to a T.

Muhfukka is really sitting here cheesing about doing a good political job and not ONCE has he shown any empathy about creating a better living condition for those in public housing. "In two years everyone is going to remember what you did for this city." :mindblown:

What HE did? The muhfukka had no choice. If he doesn't get a deal done, the houses get built. If he gets the deal done, the houses get built. Wipe that smile off your face.

I agree. Didn't he vote for an appeal in the beginning, and that is how he got all that support from the community over that other guy?
Wascisko was basically this power hungry guy, or at least the way I saw it. Especially when he was like this JFK courage award is the ticket to winning the next election. Or when he ran against his lady friend or got rid of his wife's boss, so she lost her job.

Or when he showed up to the residents of townhomes, expecting recognition? (:ld:) or some sort of gratitude?

He was only 35, he had law degree, I mean what the fukk? He could have had a fine life outside of politics.

I wonder if his house in the story really exists? Damn at that view. :whew:

Did anyone think he had a drinking problem? Was that something that was hinted? Popping antacids, driving home drunk etc

Last edited:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I agree. Didn't he vote for an appeal in the beginning, and that is how he got all that support from the community over that other guy?
Wascisko was basically this power hungry guy, or at least the way I saw it. Especially when he was like this JFK courage award is the ticket to winning the next election. Or when he ran against his lady friend or got rid of his wife's boss, so she lost her job.

Or when he showed up to the residents of townhomes, expecting recognition? (:ld:) or some sort of gratitude?

Yes. Yes and Yes. He ran against the incumbent Martinelli based on being able to get the public housing ruling reversed. He never had a moral stance on public housing. He never had a connection with black or latino constituents AND HE WAS THE MAYOR. That aspect of the show stood out to me from the first time I saw him handing out fliers and canvassing the city. The courtrooms are all white. The government building is all white. The police force is all white. The lawyers are all white. The judge is white. The policy makers are white. And they're all fighting over what to do about the "black and brown people." The entire series the people that lived in public housing got reduced to numbers and votes, drugs and disorder. Every time we saw a white person interacting with a black person it was through the police or from inside a car (looking out from a distance).

Not one white person outside of the judge and the sociologist saw this as a human/civil rights issue. All the other white people hid their racial prejudices through "property value" and "family value" statements.

He was only 35, he had law degree, I mean what the fukk? He could have had a fine life outside of politics.

He didn't get into politics to help people. He got into politics to govern and to win. He couldn't see himself in any other position because he tricked himself into believing that he could only be of use as the mayor. That's because he's a selfish sack of shyt with no empathy towards anyone who doesn't look like him. And ironically, the only reason he won was because of his donors backing him. It was never about his skill. Never about his expertise. He was a 5 dollar ho that got out of pocket.

Anyone with half a brain and half a heart would've turned into a political activist and worked hand in hand with the new public housing tenants. He could've compiled his experience as the mayor, he law degree, and the new housing research to campaign all over the country on behalf of better housing policies.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Great show - not as flashy as Ray Donovan or as heralded as Mr. GOATbot, but I really enjoyed it.

Some of the lessons they dropped on how the game is played were :wow:

Billie fukked up. Old boy was a scumbag from jump.

Glad Doreen got it together.

Wacisko was interesting because Oscar Isaac killed the role - and also because the actual guy said "fukk it" :yeshrug: and committed that at 34. :mindblown: Like he wasn't willing to go on without the possibility of being in power, even though he had most of his life ahead of him.

I don't know if it will get the props it really deserves, but :salute: to David Simon for once again showing us that the game doesn't change, only the players.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I wonder if his house in the story really exists? Damn at that view. :whew:

Did anyone think he had a drinking problem? Was that something that was hinted? Popping antacids, driving home drunk etc

The house is still there if i pass by it and remember ill take a pic for the brehs

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
The house is still there if i pass by it and remember ill take a pic for the brehs

:salute: That would be great.

I also liked the old cac lady's progression in the story, from someone who was the most vocally opposed to someone who actually cared about the concerns of the residents.

FYI the guy that plays her husband is also the boss of evilcorp in Mr.Robot.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
:salute: That would be great.

I also liked the old cac lady's progression in the story, from someone who was the most vocally opposed to someone who actually cared about the concerns of the residents.

FYI the guy that plays her husband is also the boss of evilcorp in Mr.Robot.

Actually I think I hated her the most. Because again, she only had a problem with the mob mentality when they started talking about the judges jewish ancestry. Secondly because she represents every white person who had to be forced to live with blacks/latinos in order to see them as human. If she's not recommended for that position to do a meet and greet with the tenants, she never evolves. And quite frankly, we don't have time to create community groups across the US to alleviate the racial ignorance of white people.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Great show - not as flashy as Ray Donovan or as heralded as Mr. GOATbot, but I really enjoyed it.

Some of the lessons they dropped on how the game is played were :wow:

Billie fukked up. Old boy was a scumbag from jump.

Glad Doreen got it together.

Wacisko was interesting because Oscar Isaac killed the role - and also because the actual guy said "fukk it" :yeshrug: and committed that at 34. :mindblown: Like he wasn't willing to go on without the possibility of being in power, even though he had most of his life ahead of him.

I don't know if it will get the props it really deserves, but :salute: to David Simon for once again showing us that the game doesn't change, only the players.
Is David Simon's other HBO series "Treme" also like that too?

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
dude should of run for mayor when he had the chance and not done "what was good for the party", that weasel wouldnt of beat him in the primary.

the actress that plays nay :wub:

also, was viv lying about nick fukking around on his wife or not? was she doing it to be spiteful? cuz he never showed any signs of fukking around thru out show

Last edited: