HBO Oz Appreciation/Unappreciation Thread

Daps
So I started rewatching this series off the strength of this thread. I hadn't seen it about a decade, so it's like it's brand new to me. :banderas:

I'm about half way through the first season, it's clearly not on par with the GOAT shows like The Wire and Sopranos, but I agree that it birthed this golden era of television we're in right now.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Its was a good series but they went over the top with the gay shyt. I mean you would have the cam following one guy talking about killing some one and in the back ground some fakkit on his knees giving a bj
That's prison b

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I didn't watch it when it was originally ran & I'm watching now (I'm in the final season after a week & 1/2)

I was sad when Hill got killed... But when they killed Said!!!! I needed a moment. :sadcam:
I'll be back to comment in a few hours I got the last 3 episodes left.

Last edited:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
It got wack after the mid season finale of season 4.

Way too many great characters killed off too early or just killed off for the hell of it.
That was my opinion while it was on but after recently watching the whole thing in a week the earler seasons were kind of overated and seasons 5 and 6 arent as bad as advertised. The only truly "great" season of Oz to me is season 4 (p1)

Ton of dope characters, wasted opportunities and needless deaths. Hated the way the writers kind of chickened out on a few dope feuds, like adebesi and schillinger at the beginning or ryan/schillinger I mean did he ever repay him for raping cyril? somehow he just had to go to pancamo and tell him peter scibetta was giving him the "evil eyes" or something which got him wacked :snoop: but he could never rile up a powerful figure to kill vern? come on

His storylines with nikolai and ja kemen made me hate him the more these characters would've flourished in other feuds instead they were just bait for ryan's games.

ps was I the only one that was enraged at how easily keller/ryan dismantled "black" Ozwald. Its like they just looked at eacother and said this place is getting too dark and bang the shyt hit the fan :camby:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I watched this as it aired but I don't think I was really old or wise enough to critique it....all I know is at the time I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen, until Lost came on.

But I think I only watched 2 or 3 seasons before my parents cut HBO and I never saw it again. Maybe some sort of riot was the ending for me? I'm not sure if I saw anything after a riot. Too long ago.

I doubt it would hold up now and I heard bad things about later seasons, so I think I will just let it sit in my brain as a 'fond memory' and not rewatch it