HBCU's vs. PWI's

ManMade

Another Black Hero
Daps
Reppin
East of Atlanta
nonetheless the key to being successful after college whether its pwi or hbcu is getting internships while in school

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
From a social standpoint they are going to be the same.

I went to a PWI, but the we went to all black parties, restaurants, cookouts, sets etc.

And it was always the same nikkas.

I had a blast though.

RamDAm is doing his best to try and ruin this thread.

same here. but the only thing bad about a PWI is that was always the same old hoes at the parties. we started going to the clubs in the town once I hit 21 to see the local hoes. cuz it was a lot of black people in the town where I went to school at.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
RamDam jus mad he aint get no p*ssy in college.

I go to a PWI and honestly there are too many black mothafukkas around here :rudy:

Good times all around tho. In regards to getting a good job, it dont matter where you go. Just utilize your resources and get good grades and you will get a steady job.

Besides who the fukk gets 6 figure wall street jobs straight out of college without a connect anyways?

Certainly not mad now that I can buy p*ssy whenever I feel like it :win:

How many HBCU nikkas outside of Howard and Morehouse do you know who are able to do that? :shaq:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Certainly not mad now that I can buy p*ssy whenever I feel like it :win:

How many HBCU nikkas outside of Howard and Morehouse do you know who are able to do that? :shaq:
breh a prostitute cause 20-50 bucks? you're really bragging about that ?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
same here. but the only thing bad about a PWI is that was always the same old hoes at the parties. we started going to the clubs in the town once I hit 21 to see the local hoes. cuz it was a lot of black people in the town where I went to school at.

Yeah, I went to UA so there werent anyclubs once we hit 21. Tuscaloosa is small as fukk

ComputersPutin

All Star
Daps
This is false and borderline demonic

A lot of your lower ranked hbcus are respected in certain fields. If you go to prarie view and major in engineering you're straight.

I woulda ate so good off women at an hbcu :sadcam:

Exactly. I went to a HBCU and people fall in love with these private HBCU schools. Alot of the public schools have majors that are very well respected. Southern University Engineering program is respected and puts alot of people in work. Jackson State college of buisness is respected all the Big accounting firms come there around the year grabbing students.

At the end of the day..its all about what you make it. I will also say its silly going to some big expensive school for some basic major either. Spending all that bread to major in speech or elementary education.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Go to a PWI with a high black students population. You get the best of both worlds.

University of Memphis have a 40% black student population. You get a PWI education and a large amount of top notch black females students.

nikka we are winning over here at U of M bruh. :win:

Been living in Memphis for 6 years and never even knew where the campus was till 2 months ago. I went to the Buffalo Wild Wings off Poplar last week for the 1st time and saw a lot of fine black chicks repping UoM.

DalMem

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been living in Memphis for 6 years and never even knew where the campus was till 2 months ago. I went to the Buffalo Wild Wings off Poplar last week for the 1st time and saw a lot of fine black chicks repping UoM.

I remember when my brother came to visit me here and he was saying Memphis got to many hoodrats, which is true. But when I took him to the U of M campus, he was like :krs:

YBE

Banned
Daps
Ima tell you about my experience breh and the experience of friends of mine that went to HBCU's and you can weigh the pros and cons yourself.

First some background, I went to a PWI. It's not an Ivy League school, but it's definitely one of the more selective institutions out there. It's actually considered a Public Ivy- a State school that compares favorably to an Ivy League level education wise.

Let me list out the pros of PWI:

1. Name and Prestige- This is probably the biggest draw and it's really most important right after you graduate. Depending on what you're trying to do after college, the higher ranked your school and the more well-known and prestigious it's considered, the easier it is to get into certain industries; consulting and investment banking, finance in general, engineering etc. Certain companies will immediately throw your resume in the trash if you didn't graduate from a top 50 school. I know a girl that graduated with a degree in Women's Studies :wtf:, but she was able to get a job at an investment bank because she went to Dartmouth. Even if you graduated with a degree in Liberal Arts you'll still get a shot at industries that normally don't hire Humanities majors as long as your school is ranked high enough. I'll say the top 25 universities (public and private) offer the highest premium and then it tapers off from there.

2. Resources- Sadly, the resources at even the best HBCU's (Morehouse, Howard, Spelman) pale in comparison to most PWI. HBCU's simply don't have the endowments that PWI's have. You'll get the opportunity to do more by way of study abroad and such at a PWI than you would at an HBCU. Also, you won't have to deal with any issues when it comes to registration and financial aid. I got a friend at Howard and he tells me that they stay fukking up his financial aid disbursement. You don't really have those types of problems at a PWI.

3. You'll Normalize White People- One of the things you're gonna have to learn if you want to work in corporate America is how to navigate your way around white people and how to assert yourself when in their presence. Going to a PWI will help you do that. From group projects, to class discussions, and peer reviews, you'll learn to speak your mind and express your ideas. White people, white men especially, think they should always be in charge of shyt and it's important for you to learn how to counter that. A PWI will give you the exposure you need with white people to gain the confidence to disagree with and counter their arguments. Plus you'll stop putting white people on a pedestal which is something black people subconsciously do a lot of times. You won't give a fukk about PAWG's like some thirsty nikkas do because you'll have been surrounded by them for 4 years and you'll see that their just bytches like all other bytches at the end of the day.

There's more but I don't want to type too much. Anyways, the cons:

1. You'll probably be the only black person or one of few in many of your classes. My school had a 4% black population. It would be cool if other races embraced you, but that 's usually not the case. So you'll start to feel lonely and socially isolated if you're not careful. Part of the college experience is making new friends and socializing with other young people and that will be harder at a PWI. A lot black people at my school transferred because they couldn't handle it. You'll have a far better social experience at an HBCU than you would at a PWI.

2. Companies recruit minorities more from HBCU's than they do from PWI's. I actually didn't know this beforehand. I thought going to a highly ranked PWI would give me a better shot at getting into a good company than an HBCU, but that's not the case. Most of the top companies in any industry will look at the top HBCU's for black talent before they will look at PWI. I know many HBCU students that went on to work for elite companies Bain, Mckinsey, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Accenture, PWC, etc., after graduation simply because they recruit heavily from those schools. Even a lower tier school like Prairie View A&M has some of those companies on campus recruiting. In comparison, I know a lot of black students that graduated from top 50 PWI that are starving right now. Mind you, this only applies if you go to a top HBCU. Anything outside of Morehouse, Spelman, or Howard and your chance of getting into a top company decreases dramatically.

3. Networking. Once again, oddly enough you have a better shot at alumni networking and peer networking at an HBCU than you do at a PWI. Most white alumni at PWI won't really wanna fukk with you if you're black, but a lot of alumni at HBCU will wanna help you out unless they've become bougie or are c00ns. Remember that getting a job after college and ultimately being successful in business is heavily dependent on who you know and who will vouch for you. HBCU's offer better opportunities when it comes to this.

I know I wrote a lot, but these are all the things you need to look. If you're able to get into Morehouse or Howard truth be told, I'd advise you to go there over an PWI. You'll have a better social experience and you'll still get access to top companies when you're ready to graduate.

this pretty much covered everything there was to cover.....:ehh:

As a minority....unless we're talking about Ivy league schools or Duke/Stanford/MIT/CalTech.....its almost always better to go to a HBCU than a PWI. Academically, the top HBCUs are on par with run of the mill state schools. But in terms of career prospects, we're on par with institutions that are ranked in the top 20. It makes more sense to go to Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, Spelman or FAMU before a school like UT-Knox because more top firms come here.

At the end of the day, no matter where you go......PWI or HBCU, you have to hustle. Firms pipeline FTs from their intern pool. The worst thing you can do is take out alot of loans and not have atleast one major internship on your resume :snoop: Private HBCUs could cut down their tuitions though (40k a year, seriously? :what:) but, 9/10 if you're smart enough to get into a top state school, you're smart enough to get a scholarship from Howard/Morehouse anyway. So fukk it :manny:

dr. pill biden

All Star
Daps
Straight up, HBCU's give more money for less academic achievement. If you have a 25 ACT, you'll get jack shyt at a PWI, but you might get as much as 1/4 or 1/2 tuition at an HBCU. Fukk going $100,000 in debt for your degree. For real.

Plus, top corporations recruit heavily at HBCU's. I had crazy fully paid internships in different cities and made stupid money because of corporate involvement on my campus. I even got to interview at Google (I ain't get it though) My friends that went to PWI's were working at the chipotle in their po-dunk college town over their summers.

But if it's not a top-tier, private HBCU, don't even think about it breh. Alcorn State isn't worth it.

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
They aint even got HBCU's in canada or europe. just PWI's. I dont know how good really a HBCU is but if its not the top schools in any case then you aint goin no where.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
PWI, just because they usually have better career centers, and you can land a job easier when you're finished.

Not true. Unless you going to a top school, you're better off going to a top HBCU if it's about the jobs.

The main benefit of going to an HBCU is you're around professors/students/teachers who want you to succeed as opposed to those who don't give a fukk either way (unless you dribble a ball).

And you can't paint all HBCUs with the same bruh. Nobody would ever group Yale with Radford. Or Georgia Tech with UNC-Pembrook, so why Hampon with St. Augustine?

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
The only HBCUs worth going to are Howard, Morehouse, or if you're a girl, Spelman. The rest are typically underfunded, staffed by imbeciles, and admit too many people who aren't prepared for college level work. You don't want that kind of work ethic to rub off on you.

this. i know too many people at the upper hbcu's (howard, hampton, and spelman) and nearly all but spelman have complained about how horrible the advisors/counselors are. not sayin dont go that route but if you do know what you're gettin yourself into. especially if you're seriously about your future career