HBCU's vs. PWI's

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I don't know why people bash public HBCU's so bad, you telling me that Valdosta State Troy and Southern Mississippi are super schools to graduate from?

No they arent but they are public schools. A lot of these HBCUs are private schools so if you are gonna go to a sub-par school you might as well pick the one that wont leave you with crippling debt.

And no im not saying all HBCUs are bad, im just saying why go to a bad one when you can go to a regular state school and be better off financially.

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
No they arent but they are public schools. A lot of these HBCUs are private schools so if you are gonna go to a sub-par school you might as well pick the one that wont leave you with crippling debt.

And no im not saying all HBCUs are bad, im just saying why go to a bad one when you can go to a regular state school and be better off financially.

Yeah some of these private HBCU's seem like straight skams

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
PWI easily, who wants to go to school with you big lipped spooks?

uxuMS.jpg

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Also keep in mind that the bullshyt factor is high within the administration at HBCUs. I have yet to meet anyone who went to one who didnt have to curse someone out about financial aid, registering for classes, getting a transcript, etc....

I was trying to go to NC A&T but them nikkas were bullshytting with my scholarship money so i was like fukk em. After going up there to the school and dealing with the dumb ass administration i just said let me take my ass to GT and call it a day.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
imma need yall to start puttin hampton on this top tier hbcu list. its right there with all the rest of them

:yes:

:cheers:

c/s this -i think the location and rivalry w/ howard throw off people's perceptions of the school

i agree, but everyone isn't trying to work for wall street or bain/mckinsey/bcg

average sat scores

howard: math = 570, verbal = 570
morehouse: math = 510, verbal = 510
hampton: math = 522, verbal = 532

hampton has better scores than morehouse.

imma say this - i went to hampton, and all of my friends are doing well. it's all about hat you make of your experience. if you feel like you have to go to a "white" school to succeed, more power to you.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:cheers:

c/s this -i think the location and rivalry w/ howard throw off people's perceptions of the school

imma say this - i went to hampton, and all of my friends are doing well. it's all about hat you make of your experience. if you feel like you have to go to a "white" school to succeed, more power to you.

yeah, i was saying hampton is a good school

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
i agree, but everyone isn't trying to work for wall street or bain/mckinsey/bcg

average sat scores

howard: math = 570, verbal = 570
morehouse: math = 510, verbal = 510
hampton: math = 522, verbal = 532

hampton has better scores than morehouse.

I'll concede that Hampton has marginally better scores than Morehouse. However, which school has the bigger endowment (which equals more resources to students) and more cachet among employers? :shaq:

Everyone isn't trying to work for Wall Street and the Big 3 consulting firms, but I think it's within everyone's interest (especially blacks) to work *as if* they are trying to, so if they don't succeed at making it to the big time, they'll at least end up with a decent second tier firm.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I went to a top tier public school which was predominatly white. I enjoyed it. I probably would have fit in anywhere, but lets see, you asked for advantages and disadvantages:
PWI
+Its a more diverse mix of people. You'll be able to learn from multiple cultures first hand
+You dont have to take any black culture courses if you don't want to.
+Can easily relate to black faculty
+Get mistaken for an athlete just cause your black(and are somewhat athletic looking)

-You might not get as big of a chance to learn about black culture
-Might have to deal with racism
-Probably wont have as many resources for getting test answers as your asian/white peers (unless you're pretty social like that)
-Your fraternity's death march'll probably got shut down

I think fun can be had at both types of colleges and a solid education can be as well. Just gotta decide what you think works best for you. You can always go to a PWI and travel to a HBCU if you need your fix of black people.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Meh. HBCUs aren't about taking the highest test scores tho. They are about supporting blacks and the black mission. Because of the system that we are in, your average black person isn't gonna be able to achieve at the same rate for many reasons. HBCUs are there to show that nurture can change a lot about a person academically and economically.

I went to a top high school, didn't go to a top 3 HBCU, still get A1 level jobs. It's great that someone who didn't go to as good of a school as me in high school is not held back by a standardized test they took when they were 17 (in my case 16) and they are able to succeed regardless.

Nah, but I wouldn't recommend goig to those either and I go to a public HBCU.

Then why is the graduation rate at these HBCUs so much lower than top ranked PWIs? I think of a lot of the blame falls on admitting ill-qualified students.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
I'll concede that Hampton has marginally better scores than Morehouse. However, which school has the bigger endowment (which equals more resources to students) and more cachet among employers? :shaq:

Everyone isn't trying to work for Wall Street and the Big 3 consulting firms, but I think it's within everyone's interest (especially blacks) to work *as if* they are trying to, so if they don't succeed at making it to the big time, they'll at least end up with a decent second tier firm.

Hampton has the bigger endowment :youngsabo:

Towlie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even at a PWI there is always a black community

You just end up knowin most of them one way or another

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I went to a top tier public school which was predominatly white. I enjoyed it. I probably would have fit in anywhere, but lets see, you asked for advantages and disadvantages:
PWI
+Its a more diverse mix of people. You'll be able to learn from multiple cultures first hand
+You dont have to take any black culture courses if you don't want to.
+Can easily relate to black faculty
+Get mistaken for an athlete just cause your black(and are somewhat athletic looking)

-You might not get as big of a chance to learn about black culture
-Might have to deal with racism
-Probably wont have as many resources for getting test answers as your asian/white peers (unless you're pretty social like that)
-Your fraternity's death march'll probably got shut down

I think fun can be had at both types of colleges and a solid education can be as well. Just gotta decide what you think works best for you. You can always go to a PWI and travel to a HBCU if you need your fix of black people.

O, and i said that last part because your more likely to have a friend at a PWI that can get you into any party at an HBCU vs a friend at an HBCU that can get you into any party at a PWI. And White people parties... you gotta try it at least once in college, lol. You gotta know somebody tho, random black people showing up at an all white party will get the cops called with the quikness.

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If I could go back, I would have considered attending an HBCU.