HBCU's vs. PWI's

ProfessionallyTrill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Go PWI dog. It's the status. I heard HBCU's were considered the "13th grade" :scusthov: but there's a great deal of bytches

Take it from me. I was 'this' close to going to Morehouse. I'm glad I went to my PWI.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
The only HBCUs worth going to are Howard, Morehouse, or if you're a girl, Spelman. The rest are typically underfunded, staffed by imbeciles, and admit too many people who aren't prepared for college level work. You don't want that kind of work ethic to rub off on you.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
As an HBCU attendee, I will have to say HBCU, but a top one in the MEAC or Morehouse preferably.

Key points:
- White people aren't as hyped up as c00ns/black people make them out to be. They are not these mythical creatures that you have to have special powers to get along with as much as black people would like to believe. One of my current co-workers who went to a pwi is always coming to me for advice on how to deal with CACs at work because I'm much better at playin that role event though I went to a black school. Like a secret agent. If you're a friendly person, youll be able to be around white/Asian/etc. no problems.

- Networking and Connections. You will get job and connections from other people who will hook you up with jobs just off the strength of you going to an HBCU. At a pwi you will be near the bottom of a list after all the white people. I have so many friends who's parents are millionaires, execs, CEOs, business owners, here and internationally. It's great.

- Culture: Truth is, black people are afraid to learn more about black people if presented with the opportunity to learn about white people. I never met any black person who went to an HBCU who didn't learn more about blackness/black people in the process of attending an HBCU

- Black Women: Even nerds and lanes can manage to find even one broad to wife up/place on long-term buddy status. Plus, most black women at HBCUs know how to act, which is why I spend a lot of time laughing at the problems/complaints many cats on here have with black women.

- Education: education at a HBCU is so holistic in its nature. It not only involves learning from a book, but encourages political activism, awareness, purpose, and community services. In my experience, black people at PWIs lack a lot of these things.

- Homecomings: We party hard and it's fun too

- The Experience: I'll put it like this: If you go to a PWI for grad school, as a black person, it will be the same as the undergrad experience. There is NO experience like the undergrad HBCU experience and you'll never get it anywhere else.

- Jobs/Internships: Companies straight up recruit from HBCUs first, and then they go to PWI for the straggling blacks (unless you're ivy league). I've always had an internship with a top company (so have my friends) and internship/job offers that I've turned down. Im just a little over a 3.0 (barely) but I have a lot of leadership experience. They are looking for that, and an HBCU gives you a better chance at that opportunity/experience.

I could go on for hours breh breh :smugfavre:

Besides Spelman, everyone knows those other schools suck.

As an Ivy Leaguer who at one point seriously considered going to Howard, this is very true.

If I had kids, I'd tell them straight up that their choice is only among the Ivies (plus Stanford, Duke, UChicago, and Northwestern) and Howard,Morehouse,Spelman.

Black kids won't eat well at other schools.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The only HBCUs worth going to are Howard, Morehouse, or if you're a girl, Spelman. The rest are typically underfunded, staffed by imbeciles, and admit too many people who aren't prepared for college level work. You don't want that kind of work ethic to rub off on you.

This is false and borderline demonic

A lot of your lower ranked hbcus are respected in certain fields. If you go to prarie view and major in engineering you're straight.

I woulda ate so good off women at an hbcu :sadcam:

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
This is false and borderline demonic

A lot of your lower ranked hbcus are respected in certain fields. If you go to prarie view and major in engineering you're straight.

I woulda ate so good off women at an hbcu :sadcam:

Coming from a business background, I'm a bit biased. The only HBCU folks I've met on Wall Street in great numbers come from Howard, Spelman, and Morehouse with emphasis on the latter two.

However, going on CollegeBoard and looking at admissions statistics show that the quality of students these three HBCUs admit is much higher than the rest. Take a look at endowment figures too.

H.R. Pufnstuf

Rightful Heir
Daps
Reppin
St. Barts/Scarsdale
I'd say Howard, Spelman or Morehouse..thats it.
It also depends on your major.
I go to Howard and the business and engineering school is exceptional when it comes to recruitment and networking. Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Credit Suisse, Barclays Capital and JP Morgan recruit heavily here and these are companies that for the most part DO NOT recruit anywhere besides Ivy League. A friend of mine just graduated with an offer from Mckinsey & Co (ridiculously selective).

but if you're thinking about liberal arts or something like that, forget about Howard..the unemployment in the graduating 2012 is crazy.,,but then again, the same can be said for most liberal arts majors these days.

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
Coming from a business background, I'm a bit biased. The only HBCU folks I've met on Wall Street in great numbers come from Howard, Spelman, and Morehouse with emphasis on the latter two.
However, going on CollegeBoard and looking at admissions statistics show that the quality of students these three HBCUs admit is much higher than the rest. Take a look at endowment figures too.
Meh. HBCUs aren't about taking the highest test scores tho. They are about supporting blacks and the black mission. Because of the system that we are in, your average black person isn't gonna be able to achieve at the same rate for many reasons. HBCUs are there to show that nurture can change a lot about a person academically and economically.

I went to a top high school, didn't go to a top 3 HBCU, still get A1 level jobs. It's great that someone who didn't go to as good of a school as me in high school is not held back by a standardized test they took when they were 17 (in my case 16) and they are able to succeed regardless.

I don't know why people bash public HBCU's so bad, you telling me that Valdosta State Troy and Southern Mississippi are super schools to graduate from?
Nah, but I wouldn't recommend goig to those either and I go to a public HBCU.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Howard is the only HBCU I would of went to.

That shyt like 40,000 a year tho. fukk that lol :pachaha:

Edit: But im glad I didnt go. My current school >>> Any HBCU. You just got to pick a good PWI, pick a dope state school. SUNY schools >>>>> All HBCUs not named Howard.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

i agree, but everyone isn't trying to work for wall street or bain/mckinsey/bcg

average sat scores

howard: math = 570, verbal = 570
morehouse: math = 510, verbal = 510
hampton: math = 522, verbal = 532

hampton has better scores than morehouse.