HBCU's vs. PWI's

DalMem

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Go to a PWI with a high black students population. You get the best of both worlds.

University of Memphis have a 40% black student population. You get a PWI education and a large amount of top notch black females students.

nikka we are winning over here at U of M bruh. :win:

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Go to a PWI with a high black students population. You get the best of both worlds.

University of Memphis have a 40% black student population. You get a PWI education and a large amount of top notch black females students.

How's recruiting at U of M, nikka? :childplease: Ya'll aint getting no bulge bracket banks visiting campus.

DalMem

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How's recruiting at U of M, nikka? :childplease: Ya'll aint getting no bulge bracket banks visiting campus.

The basketball get all the fine black females. 40% black students population got nikkas eating good.

University of Memphis Tigers Basketball Team stay getting the Top basketball players in the nation. :win:

derrick-rose-career-in-sneakers-adidas-ts-pro-model-tournament-memphis-01.jpg

mwblazers12_t607.jpg

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

yup pretty much all of the PWI's in the Deep South have a large black population
(besides the main flagships)

J_rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ima tell you about my experience breh and the experience of friends of mine that went to HBCU's and you can weigh the pros and cons yourself.

First some background, I went to a PWI. It's not an Ivy League school, but it's definitely one of the more selective institutions out there. It's actually considered a Public Ivy- a State school that compares favorably to an Ivy League level education wise.

Let me list out the pros of PWI:

1. Name and Prestige- This is probably the biggest draw and it's really most important right after you graduate. Depending on what you're trying to do after college, the higher ranked your school and the more well-known and prestigious it's considered, the easier it is to get into certain industries; consulting and investment banking, finance in general, engineering etc. Certain companies will immediately throw your resume in the trash if you didn't graduate from a top 50 school. I know a girl that graduated with a degree in Women's Studies :wtf:, but she was able to get a job at an investment bank because she went to Dartmouth. Even if you graduated with a degree in Liberal Arts you'll still get a shot at industries that normally don't hire Humanities majors as long as your school is ranked high enough. I'll say the top 25 universities (public and private) offer the highest premium and then it tapers off from there.

2. Resources- Sadly, the resources at even the best HBCU's (Morehouse, Howard, Spelman) pale in comparison to most PWI. HBCU's simply don't have the endowments that PWI's have. You'll get the opportunity to do more by way of study abroad and such at a PWI than you would at an HBCU. Also, you won't have to deal with any issues when it comes to registration and financial aid. I got a friend at Howard and he tells me that they stay fukking up his financial aid disbursement. You don't really have those types of problems at a PWI.

3. You'll Normalize White People- One of the things you're gonna have to learn if you want to work in corporate America is how to navigate your way around white people and how to assert yourself when in their presence. Going to a PWI will help you do that. From group projects, to class discussions, and peer reviews, you'll learn to speak your mind and express your ideas. White people, white men especially, think they should always be in charge of shyt and it's important for you to learn how to counter that. A PWI will give you the exposure you need with white people to gain the confidence to disagree with and counter their arguments. Plus you'll stop putting white people on a pedestal which is something black people subconsciously do a lot of times. You won't give a fukk about PAWG's like some thirsty nikkas do because you'll have been surrounded by them for 4 years and you'll see that their just bytches like all other bytches at the end of the day.

There's more but I don't want to type too much. Anyways, the cons:

1. You'll probably be the only black person or one of few in many of your classes. My school had a 4% black population. It would be cool if other races embraced you, but that 's usually not the case. So you'll start to feel lonely and socially isolated if you're not careful. Part of the college experience is making new friends and socializing with other young people and that will be harder at a PWI. A lot black people at my school transferred because they couldn't handle it. You'll have a far better social experience at an HBCU than you would at a PWI.

2. Companies recruit minorities more from HBCU's than they do from PWI's. I actually didn't know this beforehand. I thought going to a highly ranked PWI would give me a better shot at getting into a good company than an HBCU, but that's not the case. Most of the top companies in any industry will look at the top HBCU's for black talent before they will look at PWI. I know many HBCU students that went on to work for elite companies Bain, Mckinsey, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Accenture, PWC, etc., after graduation simply because they recruit heavily from those schools. Even a lower tier school like Prairie View A&M has some of those companies on campus recruiting. In comparison, I know a lot of black students that graduated from top 50 PWI that are starving right now. Mind you, this only applies if you go to a top HBCU. Anything outside of Morehouse, Spelman, or Howard and your chance of getting into a top company decreases dramatically.

3. Networking. Once again, oddly enough you have a better shot at alumni networking and peer networking at an HBCU than you do at a PWI. Most white alumni at PWI won't really wanna fukk with you if you're black, but a lot of alumni at HBCU will wanna help you out unless they've become bougie or are c00ns. Remember that getting a job after college and ultimately being successful in business is heavily dependent on who you know and who will vouch for you. HBCU's offer better opportunities when it comes to this.

I know I wrote a lot, but these are all the things you need to look. If you're able to get into Morehouse or Howard truth be told, I'd advise you to go there over an PWI. You'll have a better social experience and you'll still get access to top companies when you're ready to graduate.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I went to a PWI and had a ball. I specifically DIDN'T want to go to an HBCU cuz I knew I'd get caught up in all the nonsense and the social aspect and probably would have flunked out.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Ima tell you about my experience breh and the experience of friends of mine that went to HBCU's and you can weigh the pros and cons yourself.

First some background, I went to a PWI. It's not an Ivy League school, but it's definitely one of the more selective institutions out there. It's actually considered a Public Ivy- a State school that compares favorably an Ivy League level education wise.

Let me list out the pros PWI:

1. Name and Prestige- This is probably the biggest draw and it's really most effective right after you graduate. Depending on what you're trying to do after college, the higher ranked your school and the more well-known and prestigious it's considered, the easier it is to get into certain industries; consulting and investment banking, finance in general, engineering etc. Certain companies will immediately throw your resume in the trash if you didn't graduate from a top 50 school. I know a girl that graduated with a degree in Women's Studies :wtf:, but she was able to get a job at an investment bank because she went to Dartmouth. Even if you graduated with a degree in Liberal Arts you'll still get a shot at industries that normally don't hire Humanities majors as long as your school is ranked high enough. I'll say the top 25 universities (public and private) offer the highest premium and then it tapers off from there.

2. Resources- Sadly, the resources at even the best HBCU's (Morehouse, Howard, Spelman) pale in comparison to most PWI. HBCU's simply don't have the endowments that PWI's have. You'll get the opportunity to do more by way of study abroad and such at a PWI than you would at an HBCU. Also, you won't have to deal with any issues when it comes to registration and financial aid. I got a friend at Howard and he tells me the stay fukking up his financial aid disbursement. You don't really have those types of problems at a PWI.

3. You'll Normalize White People- One of the things you're gonna have to learn if you want to work in corporate America is how to navigate your way around white people and how to assert yourself when in their presence. Going to a PWI will help you do that. From group projects, to class discussions, and peer reviews, you'll learn to speak your mind and assert your ideas. White people, white men especially, think they should always be in charge of shyt and it's important for you to learn how to counter that. A PWI will give you the exposure you need to white people to gain the confidence to disagree with and counter their arguments. Plus you'll stop putting white people on a pedestal. Which is something black subconsciously do a lot of times. You won't give a fukk about PAWG's like some thirsty nikkas do because you'll have been surrounded by them for 4 years and you'll see that their just bytches like all other bytches at the end of the day.

There's more but I don't want to type too much. Anyways, the cons.

1. You'll probably be the only black person or one of few in many of your classes. My school had a 4% black population. It would be cool if other races embraced you, but that 's usually not the case. So you'll start to feel lonely and socially isolated if you're not careful. Part of the college experience is making new friends and socializing and that will be harder at a PWI. A lot black people at my school transferred because they couldn't handle it. You'll have a far better social experience at an HBCU than you would at a PWI.

2. Companies recruit minorities more from HBCU's than they do from PWI's. I actually didn't know this beforehand. I thought going to a highly ranked PWI would give me a better shot at getting into a good company than an HBCU, but that's not the case. Most of the top companies in any industry will look at the top HBCU's for black talent before they will look at PWI. I know a lot of HBCU students that went to work for elite companies Bain, Mckinsey, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Accenture, PWC, etc., after graduation simply because they recruit heavily from those schools. Even a school like Prairie View A&M has some of those companies on campus recruiting. In comparison, I know a lot of black students that graduated from top 50 PWI that are starving right now. Mind you, this only applies if you go to a top HBCU. Anything outside of Morehouse, Spelman, or Howard and your chance of getting into a top company decreases dramatically.

3. Networking. Once again, oddly enough you have a better shot at alumni networking and peer networking at an HBCU than you do at a PWI. Most white alumni at PWI won't really wanna fukk with you if you're black, but a lot of alumni at HBCU will wanna help you out unless they've become bougie or are c00ns. Remember that getting a job after college and ultimately being successful in business is heavily dependent on who you know and who will vouch for you. HBCU's offer better opportunities when it comes to this.

I know I wrote a lot, but these are all the things you need to look. If you're able to get into Morehouse or Howard truth be told, I'd advise you to go there over an PWI. You'll have a better social experience and you'll still get access to top companies when you're ready to graduate.
Is this school in VA?

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA-GA

First some background, I went to a PWI. It's not an Ivy League school, but it's definitely one of the more selective institutions out there. It's actually considered a Public Ivy- a State school that compares favorably an Ivy League level education wise.

1. Name and Prestige- This is probably the biggest draw and it's really most effective right after you graduate. Depending on what you're trying to do after college, the higher ranked your school and the more well-known and prestigious it's considered, the easier it is to get into certain industries; consulting and investment banking, finance in general, engineering etc. Certain companies will immediately throw your resume in the trash if you didn't graduate from a top 50 school. I know a girl that graduated with a degree in Women's Studies :wtf:, but she was able to get a job at an investment bank because she went to Dartmouth. Even if you graduated with a degree in Liberal Arts you'll still get a shot at industries that normally don't hire Humanities majors as long as your school is ranked high enough. I'll say the top 25 universities (public and private) offer the highest premium and then it tapers off from there.

2. Resources- Sadly, the resources at even the best HBCU's (Morehouse, Howard, Spelman) pale in comparison to most PWI. HBCU's simply don't have the endowments that PWI's have. You'll get the opportunity to do more by way of study abroad and such at a PWI than you would at an HBCU. Also, you won't have to deal with any issues when it comes to registration and financial aid. I got a friend at Howard and he tells me the stay fukking up his financial aid disbursement. You don't really have those types of problems at a PWI.

3. You'll Normalize White People- One of the things you're gonna have to learn if you want to work in corporate America is how to navigate your way around white people and how to assert yourself when in their presence. Going to a PWI will help you do that. From group projects, to class discussions, and peer reviews, you'll learn to speak your mind and assert your ideas. White people, white men especially, think they should always be in charge of shyt and it's important for you to learn how to counter that. A PWI will give you the exposure you need to white people to gain the confidence to disagree with and counter their arguments. Plus you'll stop putting white people on a pedestal. Which is something black subconsciously do a lot of times. You won't give a fukk about PAWG's like some thirsty nikkas do because you'll have been surrounded by them for 4 years and you'll see that their just bytches like all other bytches at the end of the day.

1. You'll probably be the only black person or one of few in many of your classes. My school had a 4% black population. It would be cool if other races embraced you, but that 's usually not the case. So you'll start to feel lonely and socially isolated if you're not careful. Part of the college experience is making new friends and socializing and that will be harder at a PWI. A lot black people at my school transferred because they couldn't handle it. You'll have a far better social experience at an HBCU than you would at a PWI.

2. Companies recruit minorities more from HBCU's than they do from PWI's. I actually didn't know this beforehand. I thought going to a highly ranked PWI would give me a better shot at getting into a good company than an HBCU, but that's not the case. Most of the top companies in any industry will look at the top HBCU's for black talent before they will look at PWI. I know a lot of HBCU students that went to work for elite companies Bain, Mckinsey, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Accenture, PWC, etc., after graduation simply because they recruit heavily from those schools. Even a school like Prairie View A&M has some of those companies on campus recruiting. In comparison, I know a lot of black students that graduated from top 50 PWI that are starving right now. Mind you, this only applies if you go to a top HBCU. Anything outside of Morehouse, Spelman, or Howard and your chance of getting into a top company decreases dramatically.

Thanks for the info

I'm already used to being around white people so that won't be a concern. But I'm from the inner city so I know how to handle myself around black people as well.

I'm a pretty versatile dude, I can turn the intellectual prowess switch on around whites and go back to the hood and chill with the nikkas on the block. :win:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

this is so true. my school only had like 5% blacks as well. and when u start getting to ur jr and sr year classes like 300 level classes there was hardly ever another black person in the class. my school was smaller, so there were never over 30 people per class either tho which was piff.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
From a social standpoint they are going to be the same.

I went to a PWI, but the we went to all black parties, restaurants, cookouts, sets etc.

And it was always the same nikkas.

I had a blast though.

RamDAm is doing his best to try and ruin this thread.

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
RamDam jus mad he aint get no p*ssy in college.

I go to a PWI and honestly there are too many black mothafukkas around here :rudy:

Good times all around tho. In regards to getting a good job, it dont matter where you go. Just utilize your resources and get good grades and you will get a steady job.

Besides who the fukk gets 6 figure wall street jobs straight out of college without a connect anyways?