Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was going to say, I give to my alma mater, even though the pledged amount is only like $100 (toward scholarships that focus on Black and Latino students), but I have also donated to Grambling, Morehouse, and Xavier of LA.

Its a multi-tiered problem, since many of the students coming into HBCUs are poorer than your average college student, had lower GPAs than your average college student (not including community college), have lower-test scores on average, and have had a worse education in mathematics and science than your average incoming college student.

Less high-paying careers chosen (medicine, engineering, investment banking/finance, accounting, corporate law, tech, etc), and more debt/financial responsibilities for family as well. All-in-all, its a much graver system for Black students at HBCUs. That's not even to mention the semi-brain-drain, where top Black students will end up at an Ivy, top state, top private, top international, rather than an HBCU. That's not to say there aren't plenty of brilliant Black students at HBCUs, but a big chunk, especially the wealthiest Black students with parents that give back, already have their choice, and the top impoverished students become the shining cases for Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Berkeley, etc.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
I was going to say, I give to my alma mater, even though the pledged amount is only like $100 (toward scholarships that focus on Black and Latino students), but I have also donated to Grambling, Morehouse, and Xavier of LA.

Its a multi-tiered problem, since many of the students coming into HBCUs are poorer than your average college student, had lower GPAs than your average college student (not including community college), have lower-test scores on average, and have had a worse education in mathematics and science than your average incoming college student.

Less high-paying careers chosen (medicine, engineering, investment banking/finance, accounting, corporate law, tech, etc), and more debt/financial responsibilities for family as well. All-in-all, its a much graver system for Black students at HBCUs. That's not even to mention the semi-brain-drain, where top Black students will end up at an Ivy, top state, top private, top international, rather than an HBCU. That's not to say there aren't plenty of brilliant Black students at HBCUs, but a big chunk, especially the wealthiest Black students with parents that give back, already have their choice, and the top impoverished students become the shining cases for Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Berkeley, etc.

Truth.

Let's keep it real: the best and brightest of Black America aren't going to HBCUs these days.

You may have a few that go because they are fourth generation Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, etc.

Those big PWIs are throwing good scholarships at our best and brightest. They graduate with less debt than their HBCU brethren and feel no connection to HBCUs they did not attend, hence they don't contribute. Why would they?

Meanwhile, the students that do attend HBCUs are typically saddled with heavy debt. They are unwilling and, quite often, unable to contribute after graduation.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The other aspect is who is managing the endowment. Harvard, Stanford et al have Wall Street managers and quants investing for them while HBCUs generally don't have Tunde managers with similar access and tools
All the HBCUs need to hand their endowments to Robert F. Smith, he's been on a bullrun that's out of this world and he has a consulting sector at Vista Equity Partners that could turn every HBCU administrative department around in a matter of years. :wow:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If anything, write off the donation on your taxes:yeshrug:
This is my plan for the future.
A lot of people are unaware that a lot of companies match your donation to a educational institution.
Especially BigLaw firms, Accounting firms, banks and consulting firms.
Toss the school a grand every year, reduces your taxable income, gets doubled by your company, helps when your child wants to go off to school :yeshrug:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's the truth, breh.

So many Black people have ruined themselves, financially, trying to show off for other Black people. Think about all the Black people who bit off more than they could chew leading up to the housing crisis in 2007-2008. They purchased those McMansions trying to show off for other Black people and ended up looking foolish.

We should all start operating based on the following line of reasoning before spending money on unnecessary shyt:

Am I buying this to impress and/or one up another Black person in my social circle/neighborhood? If so, don't do it.
To be fair, the majority of the Black people who suffered in the housing crisis weren't buying ostentatious houses tremendously out of their means; Black borrowers with the same income as White borrowers were given worse loans than their White counterparts, everything from ridiculous stipulations in the contracts, to sky-high interest rates. Black neighborhoods also fared much worse pricing-wise after the crisis, the drop down in value from 50-90% was not happening in middle class White neighborhoods like it did in middle-class Black neighborhoods. The working-class Black people literally had their houses taken from them, 50s integration-style, some hadn't missed a payment or been tardy on anything.

The impact on the Black community looked like grand-financial mismanagement coupled with economic trouble, when a lot of it was direct, racist targeting by banks and lenders :yeshrug:

djkumbaya

Pro
Daps
my hbcu is horrible at managing money and stays in scandal

better off just keeping the money in my pocket and helping a black person that actually needs help :mjlol:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I need to give back to A&T.

I donated $125 towards their 125 year anniversary, but that was it. A&T did so much for me, and with the position I’m in now, I can give back. At the very least I can give back to my department.

I need to join the ATL Aggie chapter as well. There’s probably thousands of us out here.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I need to give back to A&T.

I donated $125 towards their 125 year anniversary, but that was it. A&T did so much for me, and with the position I’m in now, I can give back. At the very least I can give back to my department.

I need to join the ATL Aggie chapter as well. There’s probably thousands of us out here.

:ehh:Good for you breh.