HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know one year, Stanford raised $1 billion in alumni donations alone...that doesn’t count corporate gifts etc
Was absolutely insane: Stanford releases 2016–17 fundraising results | Stanford News
"Other gifts provided support for student financial aid. In June 2017, 82 percent of undergraduate students graduated with zero student loan debt. Of the remaining students who did take out loans, the median amount of debt was $13,000 – less than half the national average. Financial support from the university also helped 78 percent of graduate students, in fields ranging from the humanities to engineering to medicine."

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Majority of the money that Black folks donate goes to their churches.

As was already mentioned, once the laws and traditions that kept Blacks out of the larger schools were dismantled....even the alumni of the elite HBCUs now send their kids to the PWI schools.

HBCUs don't get the top students, nor the top athletes anymore.

I think in the future, the schools will consolidate.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
If everyone or the majority that came from a HBCU made 6 figures, I'm sure that they could donate more :manny:

If the white wife age (27-33) who graduated from Texas is making 200,000 and the husband age that graduated from RICE (27-33) is making 450,000 a year

If the black wife age (27-33) who graduated from Dillard is making 53,000 and the husband age (27-33) came outta TXSU is making 71,000 a year..

Who is able to donate more to their school? :jbhmm:

This is just one family...do this example times all the alums from HBCUs and PWI and you'll start to see why is this the case
My nikka, what type of random salaries you giving out? 200k and 450k by 27-33? Doing what? That’s doctor, high level exec, banking bread, and most doctors ain’t even in their field by 27...that’s no where near a reasonable average, especially given Texas as your hypothetical state . :what:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I was flipping through one of those US News College guides, recently. There was a section on HBCUs. The alumni giving rates are atrocious at HBCUs. :scust:

Spelman College (39%) :ehh:

Howard University (8%) :mindblown:

Hampton University (15%) :jbhmm:

Morehouse College (13%) :dahell:

Tuskegee University (18%) :childplease:

FAMU (5%) :huhldup:

North Carolina A&T (8%) :snoop:

Bethune Cookman (9%) :dame:

Morgan State (11%) :gucci:

Most of the other schools were listed as (N/A), which suggests giving rates were so low, the schools didn't even want to self report. :francis:

In another thread, nikkas wanted to know what happened to Morris Brown.

Look at what the "elite" HBCUs are facing in terms of funding.

@CashmereEsquire @NeilCartwright
Welcome to being black in America. Hopefully we don't blame this on the fact they went to HBCUs. They graduated and tried to earn money while black.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Majority of the money that Black folks donate goes to their churches.

As was already mentioned, once the laws and traditions that kept Blacks out of the larger schools were dismantled....even the alumni of the elite HBCUs now send their kids to the PWI schools.

HBCUs don't get the top students, nor the top athletes anymore.

I think in the future, the schools will consolidate.
HBCUs don't even have a majority of Black students.
Some of them need to consolidate though, like Wilberforce and Central State University, there is no need for two HBCUs in such an incredibly small city, especially with both struggling to mightily for students and endowment funds.

I think there's a big gap in the education of AAs between the top 15% or so, and the rest of the AA population, much more egregious than the gap for Whites, and much, much more than for Asians.
That's an issue that has an effect on the outcome of Black students at HBCUs.
Exeter, Groton, Andover, Georgetown Prep, etc. kids aren't going to HBCUs unfortunately.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
My nikka, what type of random salaries you giving out? 200k and 450k by 27-33? Doing what? That’s doctor, high level exec, banking bread, and most doctors ain’t even in their field by 27...that’s no where near a reasonable average, especially given Texas as your hypothetical state . :what:

To be fair, while the numbers are exaggerated the premise is still legit.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Some of them need to consolidate though, like Wilberforce and Central State University, there is no need for two HBCUs in such an incredibly small city, especially with both struggling to mightily for students and endowment funds.

I think there's a big gap in the education of AAs between the top 15% or so, and the rest of the AA population, much more egregious than the gap for Whites, and much, much more than for Asians.
Exeter, Groton, Andover, Georgetown Prep, etc. kids aren't going to HBCUs unfortunately.
I’ve been yelling this for years. Many hbcu’s need to consolidate and some need to simply shut down. They’re doing a disservice placing students in debt for unaccredited degrees and pulling them into a network with no clout or connections. If we simply focused on supporting the flagship HBCU’s that can compete with the big PWI’s, the Black students still choosing HBCU’s would be better off

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Point you brought up earlier about bright poor kids is a good one.

If you're a college senior with great grades/scores....and from a working class family you have an advantage over the guy with same grades/scores from a middle class family when it comes to aid packages,etc

It's the one time in life where not having money is an advantage.

=======
There's a line that used to be quoted all the time that HBCUs produce more college graduates annually than all the PWIs. Do you know if that's still true?

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:patrice: I remember going to a small HBCU in the south back in the day...first homecoming I went to alumni had it looking like a car show. old people in their 50's

campus looked like straight shyt :stopitslime:

we were using desks from the 60's and 70's...classrooms looked like you stepped into a time warp

just speaking for myself, it made me not take the education seriously...it seemed like actual education there was an afterthought, so I treated it like that too :manny:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Point you brought up earlier about bright poor kids is a good one.

If you're a college senior with great grades/scores....and from a working class family you have an advantage over the guy with same grades/scores from a middle class family when it comes to aid packages,etc

It's the one time in life where not having money is an advantage.

=======
There's a line that used to be quoted all the time that HBCUs produce more college graduates annually than all the PWIs. Do you know if that's still true?
Nah, it’s not from the data I’ve seen.
They may produce more Black doctors or engineers, but not more Black college graduates overall, or in any undergraduate field unfortunately.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
You can’t give back when you a communications or theatre major working at TJ Maxx with tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt :yeshrug:

Most of the people Ik who went to HBCUs came right back home or ended up pregnant :francis: